Getting message "unable to save templates"

Discussion in 'General Support' started by llwwll, Jan 18, 2015.

1. llwwll

llwwll

As stated above, I keep getting a message "unable to save templates" If I do make a change to a template, I then can not leave the program unless I reboot my computer. I can export the template but can't save it?
    Is there a file missing or something else. I have tried to reinstall ver 6.8 and still the same problem. I have been looking on the forum and haven't found an answer yet. "ANY HELP"

2. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

In v6 and above you do not save templates, you save 'logos'. They save automatically as you work on them. That's why you name them when you start. Your original 'template' will always be there for you. As you make changes the logo file on your disk is updated constantly. When finished you 'export' the logo as a GIF, PNG or transparent PNG to be used however you like.

If you want to save a copy of your logo in case you mess up the design, use the 'Save a version' option to save the current logo to another location. If you screw up ( technical term ) then just copy that logo back to your working directory and viola, back in business. Cool huh?

Okay, as for the unable to leave the program ... when you start the program are you running as administrator? You need to for a variety of issues. Not sure if that is your problem or not. Actually, are you on a PC or MAC? Not sure about MACs but on the PC you need to run as administrator.

See if that helps you out at all. Either way please post back and let us know if it works, or if you are still having issues. Good luck!

snginc likes this.
  3. llwwll

llwwll

Thanks for your thoughts and I know what you are saying. The program has worked great for some time but just out of the blue. I now get this message when I pick a template to modify, and I name it, I get this message right away:
    "unable to save template files" Now if I do make any changes I can save it to another location but then I can't leave the program with out booting up the computer, and the program does not save it in "MY Templates" Something has gone crazy with the computer maybe missing a file or ????

4. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

If on Windows, it may have been a windows update. Have you tried to uninstall, use ccleaner to get rid of any garbage, then re-install TLC?

Before doing that, make sure to back up any logos you have created and make sure you still have the install file for TLC and any add-ons you may have purchased. Just in case . . .

5. BettyL

BettyL

This just started happening to me last night. As the program automatically tries to save the template as states unable to. V6.8.11 windows 7 pc
    Another odd thing is that when I do start with a template, the images are missing, but when I look at the folder on my hard drive, they exist. Some pointer must have gotten out of wack. Also last night I couldn't close out of the program. I just started using the program again today and same thing. Long time user

Attached Files:

6. KD-did

KD-did

Have you changed any file locations? That can account for not being able to find the images? Are you a PC user? Check by searching for any and all DS_STORE files. What version of TLC are you using?

7. KD-did

KD-did

While trying to save you might try changing the templates name....from the one you opened. Also try EXPORTING your file to your desktop....then saving if using V5. With V6.8 .? it is just a matter of closing the program.

8. BettyL

BettyL

DS_STORE files found in logo elements folder under laughing bird documents. So no change in directory. I am able to export my file. It's just annoying because the message keeps popping up unable to save template files. As I mentioned I could not close program. I had to perform a shutdown. Thank you for your response.

9. KD-did

KD-did

With V6 there is no SAVE TEMPLATE option in the dialog.There is only a CLOSE Template.Is your save folder on your desktop screen????? What version are you running?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  10. BettyL

BettyL

Please read my first message with the attachments

11. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Hey BettyL, just curious. I notice that the files you uploaded have CAPPED extensions. You say that the pictures are still in the directory on your computer when you go look, but they don't load. Check this out ... if the files on your computer have UPPER CASE file extensions, the program will not read them. If that is the case I cannot tell you what may have happened to change the file extensions, but you'll need to lower case them all. Let me know if this is your problem. We'll keep thinking in the meantime ...

12. BettyL

BettyL

Hello GunSmoke. Here is a live screen capture of what is happening. I uploaded the short video on youtube.
    This happens with every template. Then the message pops up of unable to save template files...and I didn't even request to save it at that point. Regarding Upper Case, the missing elements are lowercase PNG files. Click the error message that is linked to the youtube video.
    Error message

Attached Files:

13. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Okay, 2 things here.

First, did you try re-installing the software?

Second thing is why I ask ... if you watch the bottom right of your video you'll see the pop-up where it says Windows Updates were installed. Some Windows Updates have made things go awry on my machine from time to time. Usually re-installing fixes the problem.

If you have any saved logos, back them up.

You may want to uninstall TLC, then run cCleaner or another cleanup utility and/or registry cleaner, then re-install.

Let us know how that goes. As far as the 'Library Structure' that all looks fine.

14. BettyL

BettyL

Thanks GunSmoke. I had rebooted my computer after windows update, but the problem began two days prior this to update. I am going to reinstall the software and have confirmed I have all the backups of the software and the LBS Documents folder.
    As I also have Youtube Creator software, do I just install that software or do I install both 6.8 and youtube creator. I get confused because I have three icons on my desktop. I just want to make sure which order to install the software. I'm aware the addons will follow the software installation. Thanks again. I'm impressed with the service. User for many many years and this is my first problem.

15. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Well we're all users here just like you. Although Marc does pop in from time to time this is basically a forum where users just help out other users.

Actually, not sure about this. I installed the Youtube for the v6.8.11 engine, but I think you have to have the original v6.8 Logo Creator first. That way you have all the logo stuff plus the Youtube stuff.

You say you have 3 icons ... are they all for v6.8x ? Or is one for an earlier version such as v5 ? If you have a v5 then I would not uninstall that as the logos are not compatible with v6.8 so you may not be able to access them, but would have to re-create them. Just something to think about. If all versions were 6.8x then uninstall and run a cleanup utility, especially a registry cleaner. Then install the software.

KD-did likes this.
  16. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

My recommendation: Remove that "projects" folder from the Laughingbird Documents directory. I see this a lot when answering support requests. I'm guessing that the "projects folder" is your "SAVE" folder-- the one you gave a name to the first time you installed the program- is that about right? Please leave the structure of the Laughingbird Document directory alone.

When "naming that save location" the very first time you run the program make it's location ANYWHERE BUT INSIDE THE LAUGHINGBIRD DOCUMENTS LIBRARY. The default location for either the MAC or WIN version is your desktop.

Below is what it should look like:

PLEASE PRETEND THE "workdirectory" folder DOES NOT EXIST: DON'T EVEN BOTHER LOOK IN IT...

standard.JPG
    If it doesn't look exactly like this you probably will end up with nothing but headaches.

I recently had a customer that must have had 5GB of "stuff" in his LB doc directory: If it was related to his logo business it went in there: Spreadsheets, receipts, other programs- he had tons of stuff mixed in. Once I removed all the extra stuff (I did it via REMOTE ASSISTANCE, where I took control of his computer) his problems with the Logo Creator went away.

ABOUT THE 3 ICONS: You have an icon that starts version 6.8--- and two that start version 6.8.11

Once you install the Youtube add on (IF YOU HAD THE LOGO CREATOR INSTALLED- THEN BOUGHT THE YOUTUBE ADD ON AND INSTALLED IT) DELETE THE OLD ICON you used to start version 6.8.

WHY DO YOU HAVE TWO ICONS FOR VERSION 6.8.11? It's a hiccup of the installer file. Just pick one, and delete the other.

WHY MUST YOU USE ONE OF THE NEW ICONS? When you installed the youtube product, you "magically got" version 6.8.11 of the Logo Creator. The max size of a template in version 6.8.11 (the youtube channel graphics creator) is 2880 x 2880-- twice that of version 6.8. Plus in version 6.8.11 you have the ability to use the youtube overlay template that you can turn on or off as you see fit, when working on a youtube channel header- The template will not work in version 6.8 of the logo creator.

If you open a Youtube template in version 6.8 you will end up locking up the program pretty quick.

ABOUT THAT ERROR MESSAGE: I get the same one. Why? My save location is my desktop. I just cant save a random logo, or export an image to my desktop--- I just save it somewhere else (I actually created a folder called "Laughingbird Clips)

I made this video last year that explains the differences:

I actually have 5 icons related to the Logo Creator that I use all the time: version 6.8.11, version 6.8, version 6.6, version 6.0, and version 5.2

5lc.JPG

gunsmoke likes this.
  17. BettyL

BettyL

Thank you all for your assistance. What a headache :angry1:. Under control panel in windows 7, only version 6.0, 6.6 and 6.8 appeared. I uninstalled those versions anyway. I then went to YTGraphicsMaker icon properties to open file location and found the uninstall program. It did not delete the folders under documents. So I installed the program anyway. No luck. Uninstall again and this time I deleted the entire folder LaughingBirdDocuments and installed the program again. Success. :a thumbs up: I proceeded to install all my other addons.

Do I still need to reinstall the 6.8 version? Not sure if that included any bonus addons...

:thanxs:

Betty

18. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Aw Right! Glad you go it working. Not sure about any 'bonus' that might have been in your addition. If all is well then I'd leave it alone. If you have backups of everything that was installed before you can still import those graphics if you really need them. Speaking of which, be sure and cruise the forum, even old topics, as there are some pretty cool graphics available that you can grab for FREE!

Be sure and come back as often as you like. Let us know if you have any other problems. :cowboy:

19. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

Do I still need to reinstall the 6.8 version? Not sure if that included any bonus addons... You betcha. That's how you get the 200 templates from the basic logo creator. Don't worry about any icons that get installed on your desktop when you do- you will never use them... The actual reinstalling version 6.8 (which is not The youtube product) will give you all the basic 200 logo templates a,d 300 individual elements---When you install version 6.8 you get all the program files (about 56MB worth) installed in your program file directory.

All versions of the Logo Creator (including the Youtube add on) share the same Document Library.

In all my support requests I handle I always tell the user to simply rename their laughingbird documents folder. I always tell em to just add "Old" to it.
    That alone, with reinstalling The logo creator will fix any structure problems you are having with the Laughingbird Documents directory. Now for someone like myself, or the other mods / admins we have highly customized laughingbird document directories. My basic version (I have different versions tucked away used for troubleshooting) contains about 14,000 files and is about 4.5 GB in size.....

ABOUT ANY BONUS CONTENT: Many times Marc has offered 'bundled deals"-- "Buy the Logo Creator and get the People pak 1- free" sort of deals- The last true "bonus" characters were called "bonus signers" People got those for buying some add on set I think, but they were 50 bonus characters not included in any other set. Without a receipt that's pretty hard to determine- "well I bought it three years ago and it came with some bonus thingy I don't remember"-- is quite typical, any bonus or bundle offered is always included on your receipt / welcome letter.