1. New Software Notice alert!

The new Web Graphics Creator (version 4.0) will be out soon.

For now, version 3.0 is still active and works great on most Windows machines. It no longer runs on Macs using Lion or greater... (but the new version will fix this)

So hang in there! It's almost done!

General Help With Creating eBooks - Please!

Discussion in 'The eCover Creator' started by Keeper, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Keeper

Keeper

Hello Everyone,

I haven't posted for ages but in my defence I have been busy etc.

I have now got a use for the eBook Creator (thanks Marc). I am eventually going to create a 'free' eBook on my football (soccer) team's website which is basically our 'Diary of the Season' - which is also our first season ever. Not too shabby 9 wins, 3 ties and 3 defeats so far!

I have downloaded several demo compilers one of which looks very promising as it is a genuine WYSIWYG and that is the best software suited for me as I am completely useless.

I could list loads of questions I can't seem to find answers for but my main one is once the book is created I guess I save the folders and exe file to my root directory on my Frontpage 2003 site and then use a cover created by eBook Creator as link to the exe. I am guessing that if you click on my eBook image on my home page for instance it takes you to the eBook which loads and you can then read it online or if I give permission download it.

See how 'dozy' I am? I am sure that the above is too simplistic but I can't seem to find any answers to this uploading query. I have other questions too but I don't want to post a huge list! So if anyone is an 'expert' and they feel sorry for me please feel free to post to me at:

david.strover@tiscali.co.uk

By the way has anyone had much contact with Dave S, Marc's brother? He seems to have dropped off my radar since before Christmas I hope he is okay, I have e-mailed and PMed him but so far no luck. Mind you looking at this post I wouldn't blame him if he hid in the shadows away from me a bit! :joker:

Anyway thanks for your help and indulgence in advance,
    Plus keep up the good work Marc the first million is always the hardest!!
    Cheers to everyone,
    Keeper
    (the real and original Dave S! :banana )

2. D RAT2

D RAT2

I don't have eCover creator yet, but I do know if you upload your ebook as a exe file when some clicks the link they will be downloading it instead of running it on your site. I believe you would need to export it as a flash file. Someone who actually has it and has done this, like Mac27, should be able to answer this question more effectively.
    Good Luck with it and I would like to see the end result on your site.

3. Keeper

Keeper

I've been scouring the net today (well as much as I can seeing as it's my wife's birthday today) but the trouble is if you put 'Frontpage' and 'ebooks' in any combination in Google you end up with pages and pages of eBooks on Frontpage!

There must be something out there to help a dunderhead like me!!

4. Chris

Chris Staff Member

Hello Keeper. Are you wanting to upload your flash file of an ecover or just a jpeg or png of it?

5. Keeper

Keeper

Hiya mac27,

I think you've misunderstood me. It's not the actual eBook cover but the eBook itself. The nearest I've come to understanding it is to compile my actual eBook exe file into a folder on my Frontpage root file and then link to that folder. Otherwise Frontpage don't like it very much.

Do you know of any other methods of loading an eBook on a Frontpage website so that visitors can read it online or download it?

Cheers,
    David S

6. Chris

Chris Staff Member

Ah OK I see what you are trying to do. I have not ever tried that. As far as putting an ebook online for access to read. I will do some digging and see if I can find out something for you.

7. LogoManiac

LogoManiac

Probably an easier solution to implement would be to package the book as a PDF format. This makes it more universal to allow different computers(PC, Mac) the ability to view it. The only real requirement on the users would be they need Acrobat Reader installed and that is available for free. When they then click on the linked PDF, it should automatically open thier Acrobat Reader in a browser or if they like , they have the option to download the PDF file and read it later.

8. Keeper

Keeper

Good Morning,

Well it is over here!

I have read this on the 'net but don't you have to have some PDF creator or compiler as well? I don't think any of the demo's I have have that capability. If someone could point me in the right direction I would be happy.

Cheers,
    To all so far for the help.

9. LogoManiac

LogoManiac

Google is your friend.... type into Gogle - "free PDF maker", you should get some hits on that

10. Keeper

Keeper

I must admit the PDF solution is easy and I do now have a free PDF creator but to be really fussy I do like the look of the virtual book that my eBook compiler makes. It would look great combimed with the eBook Cover creator trouble is Frontpage really doesn't seem to like an exe file be uploaded on it's pages.

I haven't tried the compile a book into a folder and then link to the folder through a webpage trick yet does anyone know if this works or how you do it properly?

Cheers,
    David

11. Chris

Chris Staff Member

Well you might look at doing an HTML web page embed. It is a trick where you can embed another web page into one on your site. It can be tricky to set up.

What you would have to do is upload your ebook onto another site somewhere with out using Front page so that it would go up right. Then just apply the HTML embed code into your site where you want that page to show up at.

Here is a link to show you what I mean. I use this feature and love it.

http://www.web-source.net/embedding_web_pages.htm

Using this with front page will be your task for I do not like that program and use a different one, so I am not familiar enough with it to give pointers.