1. New Software Notice alert!

The new Web Graphics Creator (version 4.0) will be out soon.

For now, version 3.0 is still active and works great on most Windows machines. It no longer runs on Macs using Lion or greater... (but the new version will fix this)

So hang in there! It's almost done!

Frozen Solid

Discussion in 'Web Graphics Creator' started by bode, Dec 2, 2006.

1. bode

bode

Hello everyone,
    I just purchased WGC and it's a lot of fun, but I'm having one major problem so far- when I try to use the "Photo Realistic" section, 99% of the time my computer freezes up shortly after I launch it, before I've even attempted to do anything. Occasionally I can futz with it a little bit, but end up with the same problem shortly there after. The cursor freezes and everything locks up, I can't even pull up my task manager. I have to manually reset/restart my computer. I haven't had this problem with any other software until I downloaded WGC. So far I think everything else works (at least what I've tried so far although I haven't tried anything in a web page yet) I'm running Windows xp home sp2, with Norwood Micro/ATI Radeon 9550 256 mb DDR and 768mb ram. I didn't see any similar posts, so I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem or maybe has a solution. Thanks All

Sincerely, (addicted to Laughingbird Software, since the beginning) Robert

2. Doc

Doc Staff Member

I was going to suggest starting up task manager and see which process was taking up all the process time but I see you already tried that. I think this is one prehaps best left to Marc.

3. a¿ex

a¿ex Staff Member

Hi Robert,
    I am sorry to read, that you have such problems with the 3-D modul.
    Your machine specs don't look like it shouldn't be possible with your hardware - the opposite.

May I ask, which OS and OS version you are running?
    As the 3-D stuff is rendered by the hardware to achieve the required performance to render 3-D in realtime, we always have this little bit of "unknown" left, which is the graphic board and its driver.
    Sometimes a driver update of the graphic card driver does already fix the problem, although your hardware specs look like a machine,w hich is not older than 3 years and for which the driver should be OK.
    Maybe it is a setting of the graphic driver, like Antialiasing or some such *new shiny* features or modern graphic boards? Try switching all of these "specials" off temporarely.
    Other than that it could help to switch the renderer from you current settings to another, but since it freezes, you might not be able to do so (normally there is a setting in the right mouse menu or the tools menu at the bottom to choose the renderer) :-(

Next thing to try would be to see, if it is only in this app or if other apps made with the same tech show the same problem.
    To do try some other shockwave3d pieces online.
    There are some simple demos on my website:
    http://www.farbflash.de/ in the shockwave3d section.

I'd like to find the reason for your freeze, because I absolutely don't like it, if these kind of things happen to software, which I wrote ;-)

4. bode

bode

Thanks a¿ex, very interesting?

Thanks for the reply as well Doc,

a¿ex, I am running windows xp home edition, version 2002. I went to the shockwave3d section on you site and tried 2 of the applications 1) "Create a Gate"- worked for about 20 seconds, I added a couple of circles, then drew with the pencil and my computer froze. 2) "Office design application"- computer froze immediately after launch! I originally bought the radeon graphics card to run 3d home remodeling software (Punch Home Design) and it works great (although i'm not sure what 3d engine it actually uses) i've never had a problem with it! I just had my hard drive wiped clean and a fresh copy of windows xp home ver. 2002 installed due to a bad virus and everything else seems to work great on my computer since then. I'm not very technically savvy, so I thank you for your patience and your help, if there is any other specific info I can give you just let me know. That being said, if you have any alternate suggestions to the problem, after what we've discovered with the applications on your web site it seems like something on my end. I appreciate any help you can give me. Again I'm not that computer savvy, so if it sometimes sounds like I'm talking out of my A** it's the best I can do to communicate with people who know what they're talking about (LOL)

Thanks again, Robert

5. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Hi Rob.
    Thanks for your helpful comments.

I too went over to Alex's site - on two machines - and it worked like a charm.
    Your specs tell us that you have a powerful computer, but I'm not sure why you're not able to view the 3D on Alex's site?

a¿ex is a genius 3D programmer. He designed the entire 3D (Photorealistic section) of the software. I admire his programming talents immensely.

There must be something different on your machine that's not (or is) on my machine when viewing these particular 3D animations.

Anybody else reading this - are you able to view the site mentioned above correctly?

- Marc

6. Chris

Chris Staff Member

It ran just fine on my end too Marc.

Robert have you updated your video card drivers since the fresh install of windows?

7. a¿ex

a¿ex Staff Member

were you able to switch the renderer?
    usually openGL works nicer with less problems, than directX7.
    unfortunately not all machines have the option to switch to openGL.
    how many monitors are connected to your computer ?

I am a little bit puzzled, why all the shockwave 3-D content doesn't run on your machine, as the machine specs clearly indicate, that it SHOULD.

updating the video driver is definately the first thing to try.

disabling all the *specials* of the 3-D section in the graphic board control panel, like antialiasing and the like is also something to try.

No problem. It shouldn't be a requirement to be a computer nerdin order to use the software.
    We appreciate any help you can give us t track down the problem, so other users can take advantage from your findings.

8. bode

bode

Good News!

I think I've solved the problem (so far so good) at least in my case. What I did- (and for anybody else who might have this problem and a similar graphics card) -Go to- start > control panel > display > click on "settings" tab > click on "advanced" (should take you to properties for your graphics card) > click on the "trouble shoot" tab(or whatever takes YOU to "hardware acceleration") there are six levels of acceleration at least with my card,(mine was on FULL acceleration by default) I backed it down (1) level > then click "apply" and then click "ok", After that you may or may not hear a "chorus of angels"... I did and everything works fine now :) In anyone elses case if it still doesn't work, you could back off your acceleration even further if need be (I think... as I'm not sure if this negatively affects anything else) if that doesn't work you can always reset it to the default setting though. This is just an option and happened to work in my case. So far so good!!! Now that I've got the software working on my computer, I've got to learn how to use it LOL. So far I'm having a blast!!! BTW, I had no problem with the programs on Alex's website, Thanks again to everyone in the forums and especially to the guys @ Laughingbird, keep up the good work! I'll keep you posted.

Sincerely, Robert

Attached Files:

9. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Hey Rob!
    Great news!

And what a catch.
    I'm glad you've posted this. I'll see if I can create a 'sticky' with it so it doesn't get burried in other posts.

I like your banner :D

Once you create your first 3D eBook ... post it!

(and, as always, if you have any questions about using the software - post them here ... or check out the tutorials page here!)

- Marc

10. Chris

Chris Staff Member

Robert glad you got everything working. :D

One thing that bothers me though. Your ATI video card should have ran those programs at the higher setting. I have an ATI and have used ATI for many years. Your video card uses the Catalyst® drivers. Have you updated them since you reinstalled Windows?

I just want to make sure you are getting full use of your video card. That is one thing to do is always check for updated drivers.

Have fun!

11. a¿ex

a¿ex Staff Member

Yay!
    You're welcome!
    Thanks for sharing your findings!

Nice Gate you created :-)
    Can't await the first eCover...
    :-)

12. bode

bode

aaaaaaaaaaand...

If this seems like an inappropriate method that I've stated above or may further my problems in the future (or anyone elses for that matter) please let me know! Thanks everyone.:number:

Sincerely, Robert

13. Chris

Chris Staff Member

Not at all Robert. That is how people help each other is by posting what they did to fix their problem.

Now go have fun designing. :D

14. bode

bode

Drivers

I'll try updating the drivers as well and I'll post back when I do! Thanks Chris

--Robert--

15. bode

bode

Driver update

Alright, I updated the drivers, we're at full "Hardware Accelleration" (which is default) and the 3D enviroment works awesome, it's unbelievable... I'm never going to get any sleep tonight now! Good call Chris, the only reason I hesitated updating the drivers in the first place is because the graphics card is fairly new, but then again they (ATI) probably provide updates pretty frequently, in which case I must make a mental "sticky" to always keep my drivers current. So I guess my previous posts will in effect work, but hopefully only as a last resort in a worst case scenario! Moral of the story- ALWAYS KEEP YOUR DRIVERS UPDATED!!! Great software guys :)

Sincerely, Robert

16. Chris

Chris Staff Member

WOOHOO great to hear. Yes ATI is always updating their drivers. I know the Catalyst® drivers are always getting something added. Glad I could help out Robert.

Just keep plenty of caffeine by you so you can stay up desiging. :D Can't wait to see your work.

17. Doc

Doc Staff Member

Great news that you are all sorted Robert, thanks too for bothering to let us know the problem is sorted.