Formating text VERY slow...

Discussion in 'Raves and Rants' started by Darrin, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Darrin

Darrin

When Im formating text, either by changing the font or resizing it, it takes almost 30 seconds to take effect. I cant do anything within the software until this is finished. So I just wait each time. Very annoying. If all I want to do is to see how a certain font will look it takes a long time for it to be applied to the logo. It didnt always do this. When I first installed it everything was fine. What should I do?
    Thanks
    Platform (Windows)

Operating System Version (XP Home)

Processor (AMD Athlon XP 2100)

Ram (512)

2. KD-did

KD-did

Darrin, I will presume you are talking about when you are trying to use a "system font/s" and not "embedded fonts". It is my observation that the lag time is more of something within XP than TLC. The reasoning for saying so is TLC on my 98SE machine the lagtime is less. On my XP machine the lag time seems to depend on if I have ever used the font before, in any program. Being I am more of a computzer than a computer wizard I can not explain why a virgin font takes longer but it does.

3. Darrin

Darrin

THanks. Im going to look into this a little more and see why its so and what I can do about it.

4. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Hi Darrin.
    Thanks for this question.

30 seconds on XP home with your 2100 is FAR to long. I have a slower machine (an older eMachine 800mgz) and it takes about 4 to 10 seconds (as DC mentions above, it depends upon the font you choose).

You MAY have some "spyware" running on your computer. Spyware programs are tiny little apps that can zap your processor speed.

You'll get Spyware installed on your computer by visiting certain websites. You'll never even know they entered your machine. Some companies use cookies to install the apps. Cookies are read by your browser when you visit certain pages on the net.

Most of this spyWare simply logs where you go on the net and then reports back to the people who put this little app on your computer. It tells them WHERE you go ... not necessarily who you are. It's really a matter of statistics for these companies - not really a way to tell them who you are.

It's not dangerous, but it DOES exist.
    And, it slows down your computer.

I suggest downloading a free Spyware zapper. My favorite is called "Ad-Aware"
    http://lavasoft.element5.com/software/adaware

Once you download and install it - run it!
    You'll have to wait a good 1/2 hour depending on your hard drive. But it will search and destroy these spyWare apps.

Then, restart your machine.

I can (almost) guarantee that The Logo Creator ... and your other Apps, will scream! :)

I was recently shocked to see that Ad-aware found over 67 "new" spyware apps hidden on my XP computer.

Crazy.

- Marc

5. KD-did

KD-did

I like Spybot Search and destroy.. for getting rid of spyware or adwear.

Also use The Font Thing http://www.webattack.com/get/fontthing.shtml By either deleting, uninstalling or being sure it is installed things run better.

6. Darrin

Darrin

Thanks. I do have spyware software. I use spysweeper. Runs in the background and I scan regularly and have been clean for some time. However I did clean up my registry and It has improved the speed quite a bit. Im still messing with a few things to get it as fast as possible.