fonts seem crooked

Discussion in 'Raves and Rants' started by bmorehappy, Aug 7, 2009.

1. bmorehappy

bmorehappy

I was wondering why some of the fonts seem crooked...some letters are higher than others. Am I doing something wrong (scale, spacing?)

Thanks

2. KD-did

KD-did

No,you are not doing anything wrong, what you are seeing are inherent flaws in the font themselves...from the time the fonts were made by the font designer/developer. Where a font will look good in a word processing application when in a graphic application the inherent flaw is just more noticeable.

For more a better understanding of why there are inherent flaws in a font
    http://www.jawarts.com/FontBuild.htm

3. bmorehappy

bmorehappy

Thanks, KD-did. Fascinating artlicle. But I'm not sure it addresses my issue. I created a logo with LC, and it seems that some letters are higher than others (primarily the curved letters.) The best I can demonstrate is like this:

___-__-__

It's not quite this extreme, and the changes are subtle, but there.

I've attached a sample of what happened. I haven't seen this dilema in other programs, so I was wondering if it is something I'm doing.

Thanks for the reply, though! I really appreciate it (although I didn't discover you had replied until today.)

Attached Files:

4. KD-did

KD-did

If you look at a font in character map you will see the placement of the letters...if not exactly position exactly the same (at the time the font was made) will account for some letters higher and some letters lower. It is the placement that give some fonts their character... Sometimes when using font it can appear less noticeable when the text is small but when it is made larger it is extremely noticeable. When using TLC it is even noticeable when previewing some that fonts are uneven whether by design or by accident.

What works sometimes is to export the text looking its best size and importing your text as an image file back onto the canvas and use the attributes to scale the text for your needs.

5. KD-did

KD-did

To help those that can't visualize why letter placement defines how a font looks (straight or crooked) ... a character map borrowed from dafont.com . It isn't just how it looks it is a matter of placement when putting a font together by the font designer. Some early software for making fonts didn't make placement easy ...lacking grids and other means to manually correct and control placement.

Free or purchased font licenses do not permit the font to be modified and can not be opened for modification unless done by the designers themselves.The font belongs to the publisher (supplier or the designer) of the font. Fonts are the intellectual property of their publishers (supplier/ the designer)and may be protected under many different domestic and international trademark, copyright and patent laws. The degrees of legal protection and enforcement vary from country to country.