Fonts...heeeeeelllllppp!

Discussion in 'Raves and Rants' started by cholda, Aug 4, 2004.

1. cholda

cholda

For some reason I'm not able to access any of my fonts, except for the first five or six. :17: Any ideas why? How do I get this to work?

Thanks,
    Cj

2. KD-did

KD-did

cholda, a little background would be helpful in helping you get the problem fixed. Are you PC or Mac? Did you buy your TLC from an retail outlet or did you get a download from Laughingbird via Digital River? Which version 2.5 or 3.5?Was it working before and now isn't working correctly?

3. cholda

cholda

My info

Ok..sorry for not including that info.

I'm on a pc - have both the v3 that I bought in the store and the version 3.5 that we downloaded yesterday. Originally we kept getting memory errors, which is confusing 'cause we're running 320meg of ram and have shut everything else down. Now the program is working, but we can't access anything past the first few fonts that pop up in the box when we go to change a font. I have a font on my harddrive that I want to use, but I can't even get the box to scroll down. The box just seems to flutter when I try to move the arrows or cursor down past the first few fonts on the screen. Does that help?

4. KD-did

KD-did

I think we are well on the way to solving the problem. Just one more question.. Did you download an additional Edition yesterday or you did download the upgrade?

5. cholda

cholda

I think it was the full version. We purchased version 3.1 in the store and it was giving us the error messages. My dh called the support number and the owner sent us a download of the 3.5 version - it took us two hours to download (no dsl...sigh)...but it's working. We still occasionally get the low memory box, but if we click "OK" it still works. Now, when I go to get system fonts or the programs fonts, it does nothing. However, I CAN use the few fonts that do pop up in the font box, I just can't scroll down.

Hope that helps! Thanks so much for your help!

CJ

6. KD-did

KD-did

The error code is more because of timing out than low memory...XP has a little quirk to it where it has a problem if a file has over 50 characters long. It isn't usually a problem except when there is unknown adware/spyware on a machine. And the reason for that is because it attaches to files and puts them over the 50 character limit.

If you are not running anti-spyware be sure and download one. These spyware programs are quick to download and are easy to use.You can get a download from http://www.download.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=spybot&tg=dl-2001&search.x=15&search.y=5&search=+Go!+ There are many good ones that are free. You will be surprised how much better you computer runs afterwards. If you aren't running any anti-spyware it might also explain your problem with the retail version.

I suggest an PM through the forum to Marc (laughingbird) and tell him you continue to have problems and refer him to this thread.

There maybe a work around until you can get up and running properly. You still will be llimited but not nearly as badly as you are now. Choose either "system fonts" or "embedded fonts" then hit the F9 and the first letter of the font you want.You may only have access to the first 5 or 6 fonts that begin with that letter but that is better than a total of 5 or 6 fonts. Please let me know if this work around works for you. I know Marc will get things ironed out for you.

7. cholda

cholda

Still happening...ugh!

Ok, I've downloaded the spyware (very useful - thanks!), but my error messages are still coming up. I am running ME (which stinks) but this logo program is the only thing that's giving me the error message. I have plenty of memory left and I've shut down all other applications to run this. The F9 hint was great - thanks for that too! Also, I applied a swirl behind my logo and then changed it's opacity to a lighter color. Then I saved the logo both on my hard drive and on a disk. When I bring it back up, it comes up darker (the original color) and didn't save it as I had previously saved the logo. Any other info you can shed would help greatly. I'm very close to uninstalling (again) and trashing this program due to weeks of frustration.

8. KD-did

KD-did

Yes, ME is less than being stableand sure hate to see you miss being able to use TLC.

Mixing the retail version and download version did seem to have some problems.Strange thing is that the fix seems to depend on order of installation...What has seemed to work best is uninstalling the retail version. uploading 3.6 either demo or an addional set they had bought like ExpansionPak1 and then reinstalling the retail version last. This seem to work for lockups and error codes...which lie big time :)

9. cholda

cholda

Katie, thanks!

You've been a real gem in all of this and I really appreciate your help.

My dh called and spoke with the creator of the software when this first happened. We did uninstall the retail version, then downloaded the one that he sent to us. It took a long time to load (we're on dialup - ugh) but the problems still persisted. I just don't know what to do anymore at this point. I love the program and have all sorts of stuff that I want to do with it, but these error messages and the font issue are a pain. :bonk:

Thanks again for the help you've given to us! :35:

10. KD-did

KD-did

I can understand your frustration..the 3.5 upgrade broke my TLC and I was VERY upset!!! Then Marc did another upgrade http://www.thelogocreator.com/upgrade.html Worked like a charm..

I had an occassion to have to reload the Hollywood edition..somehow I had forgotten to install it on my newer computer. And even though I had the super 3.6 update I had to do it again after the Hollywood edition was installed not to give me error codes.To me that makes no sense but that is the way it worked out.

I am not real familiar with ME...I avoided that problem.... I know with XP it can be set to run as if an earlier edition of Windows. Are you able to do that with ME?

11. sereniti

sereniti

Mixing versions can be a nightmare

Yes, that's what happened to me when I installed first the retail version (v3.5), then an extension pack and the Hollywood version (both 3.6). Except in my case it crashed every time I tried to load a logo template.

I uninstalled everything, installed the Hollywood version first and it ran like a top. Then I installed the extension pack and the retail version and that worked fine, too.

But just to make sure, I then upgraded the retail version to 3.6 and I've been working fine ever since - until I installed the XP Service Pack 2 (which doesn't apply to you as you're running ME).

Hang in there, though. When you can actually use the software, you'll be glad you stuck with it - it's terrific!

12. ayay

ayay

Hmmmm , sometimes solution is easier than you can imagine. :00

If you can not scroll the fonts list,
    just press f9 first (anytime) :)