Font 101: Learning Valuable Lessons.

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself!' started by mahvin, Aug 24, 2016.

1. mahvin

mahvin

Hello everyone, my name is Mahvin (Bostonian for Marvin). I live in the Pacific Northwest. I have been using Logo Creator for a few years now, but a recent upgrade to Windows 10 totally threw my partition into the pits of hell, never to be seen or heard from again. A reinstallation of Windows 10 seemed perfectly fine until I went to restore my Logo Creator software and it ran the gauntlet of error messages, improperly installed file locations and the works. So, long story short, I just bought the latest package for $47. And I'm back, hopefully.

I'm what you might consider in the business world, a model developer. I'm the guy who arranges the panels, with panes and images, placed in their proper order/location. I hand my work over to a panel of artists who apply the rest of the correct images to my model. Making sense? In a simpler analogy, I'm the guy who makes someone's idea look real, although not to scale. Like an architect who creates a foam model of a building and makes it look as realistic as possible. The artists are the creative end to my job.

Fonts. When using fonts on Logo Creator (those on your hard drive) at least make sure you know what the actual font is going to look like before you start typing it in. Get a font editor and open the glyphs so you can see and correct their imperfections, and save them as a new renamed font for use in Logo Creator. Lucky for me, all I had to do is clean up the actual letters I was using in the templates, and not the entire font file glyphs. That would have been a nightmare. I use FontForge, which works well on Windows 10, in case you're wondering. Keep in mind, what you see in small print will not be what you see when enlarged. Any stray artifacts and non-aliased edges will show up on Logo Creator when you increase the scale of the font.

2. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Good information ... here is a little more.

Make sure that you have the 'right' to modify those fonts before you use any modified font in a commercial project. Different fonts come with different rights and just because you have it installed on your computer, even as part of windows, does not mean that you can freely modify the font. Or use it for commercial purposes. No problem, usually, simply modifying the font and using it for your own purposes, but for anything else, check the rights.

You can also download and install many 'free' fonts on your computer that still have intellectual rights that include restrictions. Just because it is 'free' doesn't mean you can modify it. Just check the 'rights', and be sure!

KD-did and snginc like this.
  3. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

snginc likes this.
  4. mahvin

mahvin

It didn't come to mind for me to mention "rights" since I own all the commercial font I use in my models. I don't use Windows system fonts. Nonetheless, if you are indeed using ANY font that you do not own, you should either request permission, or pay to have the rights to use those fonts.

gunsmoke likes this.
  5. snginc

snginc

You have to be careful what you post on the forum because everyone doesnt have the same level of knowledge.

6. mahvin

mahvin

I'll probably refrain from posting, entirely, since I don't need the stress of worrying about the less knowledgeable. Thanks for driving it home. Have a nice weekend.

7. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

"since I don't need the stress of worrying about the less knowledgeable" What's that all that's about?

snginc likes this.
  8. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Don't know. I though users posting on the forum was about education as much as anything. Learn something new every day. Hate to see anyone go away for no reason. It was good information put out. Just needed a little warning for those that don't know about intellectual rights.

snginc likes this.
  9. mahvin

mahvin

Post a general disclaimer at the beginning of the forum. Breaking someone's thread down into legal complexities sort of robs the poster of the desire to educate. The thread moved away from artistic education and moved to a legal discussion.

Hard to stay motivated when everything you post is up for scrutiny because someone has to step out of the box and beat on the "legal issues" drum.

I'm sure that the one who taught a man to fish didn't go to law school to make sure that his responsibilities of feeding him for a lifetime were free of legalities. There are times, legalities aside, you are responsible for you. Having said that...

Not all commercial fonts (the ones I own and paid for) are CLEAN vector glyphs. Converting them to PNG does NOT remove the artifacts. Blurring the glyphs does NOT make them render quality for Logo Creator. I was kind of shocked when my boss asked for a font vector representation of specific capital letters, and when I converted the glyphs to PNG format (to retain the transparency for Logo Creator) I found they weren't vector paths. Shocked I say! Every font I have ever created and designed is VECTOR, SVG style paths.

So, I learned something new myself. Now I am going to start beating my drums on the Font Forums and Creative Labs group that LAZINESS is not a virtue as a FONT designer. Just makes you lazy and cheap. Buyer beware!

10. snginc

snginc

One thing you might not know is that Marc was once sued for improperly using a font. So those of us who are admins think about the legal side of things, specifically licenses for fonts and graphics. It's not meant to disuaded anyone from posting, we just want everyone to have an informed understanding. We dont want anyone to experience the legal issues that Marc had to.

This forum has individuals from novice to expert so to keep anyone from treading down a path that could potentially lead to their own ruin (financially) we do add things that needs to be considered.

Anyone trying to teach someone would want to make sure those following their training stay on the right side of the law, otherwise that person could come back and say "This person told me to do it this way and that's how I got in trouble" which would hurt everyone.

gunsmoke likes this.