1. New Software Notice alert!

The new Web Graphics Creator (version 4.0) will be out soon.

For now, version 3.0 is still active and works great on most Windows machines. It no longer runs on Macs using Lion or greater... (but the new version will fix this)

So hang in there! It's almost done!

Flipbook Not displaying all pages

Discussion in 'Web Graphics Creator' started by 1bad55, Aug 20, 2008.

1. 1bad55

1bad55

Help for the newbie! :image10:

I am having problems with one of my flipbooks that I created. When viewing the flipbook it skips about 40 pages in the book.

I have looked in the images directory and ALL the images are there and I also looked in the config file and they are all listed but for some reason it will not display the pages.

It skips from page 66 to 101 and then displays fine after that.

I have created other flipbooks this size so I do not think it is a file sizing issue but I am beating myself up on this one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. 1bad55

1bad55

Just a quick note.

I just created another flipbook that is twice as large as the one I am having problems with so now I can confirm that it is not a file size error.

This new flipbook has 250 pages (98 meg of images) and the one I am having problem with is only 144 pages (32meg of images).

I created the 250 page book the exact same way I created the 144 page book so it is not in the procedure. This is about my 6th flipbook that I have published to my site and this one flipbook is the only one of them that is having problems.

That is another thing to bring up as I size down my images prior to creating the flipbook and after the flipbook creates new images it almost doubles in size.

Why is the program doubling the file size of my images?

3. KD-did

KD-did

What platform ,Mac or PC? How are you downsizing you images? If using a 3rd party software what are you using?Are they being saved as the same file format?

Being you have had success creating flipbooks I would think that perhaps it is a file name issue or file format issue. Maybe the best thing to do is have the programmers look at it.

Send a PM:
    http://www.logodesignforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=5186
    http://www.logodesignforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=6044

4. 1bad55

1bad55

I am using a PC and I am actually using Picture Manager to "Compress" the images from approx. 2500X1500 to 1024X768.

As far as the file naming suggestion I have a program that reads a PDF file and creates jpg files of every page and names them numerically.

I do no editing after the jpg files are created other than running "Compress" on them to scale them down.

Here is a sample of the file naming from the flipbook I am having problems with. This is copied out of the config file.

When viewing the flipbook it displays pages 1-66 just fine then it skips pages 67-100 displays page 101 as the next page after 66 and then display pages 101-144 just fine.

All of these image file names are exactly the same and they exist in the image directory. Nothing out of the ordinary with regards to file size or anything to suggest a file corruption.

Another note is it skips these pages in the preview mode and also when it is published to my website. However it shows the correct amount of images imported when creating the flipbook and it creates the new images and lists them in the config file.

<page> book_images\1884_buff_berger_0062.jpg </page>
    <page> book_images\1884_buff_berger_0063.jpg </page>
    <page> book_images\1884_buff_berger_0064.jpg </page>
    <page> book_images\1884_buff_berger_0065.jpg </page>
    <page> book_images\1884_buff_berger_0066.jpg </page>
    <page> book_images\1884_buff_berger_0067.jpg </page>
    <page> book_images\1884_buff_berger_0068.jpg </page>
    <page> book_images\1884_buff_berger_0069.jpg </page>
    <page> book_images\1884_buff_berger_0070.jpg </page>
    <page> book_images\1884_buff_berger_0071.jpg </page>

This is a sample of the 250 page book I just did and it works with a similar naming convention. Also copied from the config file.

<page> book_images\1905Berger_0229.jpg </page>
    <page> book_images\1905Berger_0230.jpg </page>
    <page> book_images\1905Berger_0231.jpg </page>
    <page> book_images\1905Berger_0232.jpg </page>
    <page> book_images\1905Berger_0233.jpg </page>
    <page> book_images\1905Berger_0234.jpg </page>
    <page> book_images\1905Berger_0235.jpg </page>
    <page> book_images\1905Berger_0236.jpg </page>

I am puzzled and stuck because no matter how many times I try to create it I get the same results.

5. Chris_Houg

Chris_Houg Staff Member

Did you upload the flipbook to a website where it can be viewed? It's often very helpful if we can view it and check out some things.

6. 1bad55

1bad55

Here are links to the two flipbooks that I have been talking about.

Problem Child Flipbook

Working Flipbook

These are not live on my website yet but they are published and everything seems to be working on all of them except this one.

7. Chris_Houg

Chris_Houg Staff Member

Looking at your flip book and the page numbers that are in the image of the page, page 66 is image book_images/1884_buff_berger_0080.jpg, the next image is blank and is 81.jpg, 82.jpg starts with Part II which is the catalog and price list, and 83.jpg is page 101. This is what corresponds to the config.xml file you have:

Code:
    <page> book_images\1884_buff_berger_0080.jpg </page>
    <page> book_images\1884_buff_berger_0081.jpg </page>
    <page> book_images\1884_buff_berger_0082.jpg </page>
    <page> book_images\1884_buff_berger_0083.jpg </page>
    <page> book_images\1884_buff_berger_0084.jpg </page>
    <page> book_images\1884_buff_berger_0085.jpg </page>

I counted about 132 images in the book and that corresponds to the number of images described in your config.xml.

If you have images that aren't in your config.xml and should be, you just edit the file and add them. The excerpt above for example:

Code:
    <page> book_images\1884_buff_berger_0080.jpg </page>
    <page> book_images\1884_buff_berger_0081.jpg </page>
    <page> book_images\1884_buff_berger_0199.jpg </page>
    <page> book_images\1884_buff_berger_0082.jpg </page>
    <page> book_images\1884_buff_berger_0083.jpg </page>
    <page> book_images\1884_buff_berger_0084.jpg </page>
    <page> book_images\1884_buff_berger_0085.jpg </page>

I inserted 0199.jpg in after 81.jpg and as long as the image is uploaded to the images directory with the rest, it should work fine.

8. 1bad55

1bad55

I feel like the fool.

You are right! Those pages were missing out of my origianal image scans and they were never added into the flipbook because they did not exist.

Thank you for the help. :image28:

P.S. I have been using this program for less than a day and I think I have a really good handle on how it works for my needs. This is great and just what I was looking for in a flipbook software product.

I will get into some more advanced functions in the future.

:image10-2:

9. Chris_Houg

Chris_Houg Staff Member

Actually, I'm glad. I enjoyed your use of the flipbook, otherwise I may not have gotten a chance to see it.