File save location picker

Discussion in 'Wish list for future releases' started by Lee Tucker, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Lee Tucker

Lee Tucker

Hi,
    I would like to have back the feature to be able to save files to a place of choice instead of the app saving to a predefined folder.

2. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Uh, yeah, what Glenn said! Simply select File/Save as and pick the location. That's if you are talking about 'Saving' a template. If you are talking about 'Exporting' then same thing ... select 'File/Export PNG' ( or whatever format ) and pick a location. Works every time.

3. snginc

snginc

What I think he is talking about is the fact that the my templates folder (the defaulty folder) is saved inside the logo libraries folder. he wants to be able to have his choice of where the default folder is located.

4. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Probably not gonna happen ... While nice for users that understand such things, I think we have too many users that don't and the support requests would go through the roof!

snginc likes this.
  5. snginc

snginc

Agreed. I remember all of the problems people had.

6. Joe_Crash

Joe_Crash

Yes, I want this feature back too........ To bad is was taken out in version 7 to change the my template folder..
    It seems by user request, because may people did not get it. For this reason, maybe make a advanced options where you can configure such things ?

7. snginc

snginc

Actually having everything in one place makes things so much easier. That was the whole reason people requested it.

As far as being able to configure the software. Some people have had problems simply installing the software and graphics packs, being allowing to configure settings in the software would be a disaster for those people. It doesnt matter if you give them instructions or video tutorials they will mess things up. We cant even get people to back up their work regularly!

gcuneo2 likes this.
  8. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

From a purely support perspective: Allowing the end user to choose where to save stuff may seem like a "great feature" --- it would be a nightmare. Hundreds, if not thousands, of end users sending in support requests like this:.... "Well I installed my stuff, and saved my stuff, and now I have a project due for a client tomorrow, and I can't even find my stuff--- who do I send the bill to for lost wages????" Now imagine those hundreds, if not thousands of users who sent in support requests all installing their stuff in different locations: External hard drives, the cloud, USB thumb drives, sub directories of sub directories...... There would be no way to help the end user find their stuff.

Being able to choose the default location of the "My templates folder"? Imagine this: You have typically about 35 or 40 programs that use your documents library. Now, start moving the contents, and locations of all those document folders. Who on earth is going to remember the location of all those unique save locations? You? Me? Stephen Hawking? Well maybe Stephen can, but no one else can.

Too many people who think "they know their way around computers" don't- and that's probably where most support requests come from: user caused issues.

For example: What is the purpose of the Program Files (x86) directory on Windows computers? It's where the program files for the Creator get installed to... I know exactly what it's used for, but I'm willing to bet less than 5 people, on the entire forum will know. No googling allowed..... See, Most people really don't know their way around computers... and that is why it's probably a really bad idea to have the option of letting the end user choose the location of the My Templates folder, or even the template library---

gunsmoke and KD-did like this.