Exporting

Discussion in 'New to the world of Forums?' started by radirckze, Mar 27, 2014.

1. radirckze

radirckze

I am new to Logo Creator. I have v6.6. I can save as to PNG but with that I cannot change the DPI. How do I change the DPI? Is there supposed to be an export function? (Mine does not have an export button.

2. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

You cannot change the DPI within the program. You can however change it after the export, if you really need to, by using Photoscape. Just Google it. It's a free utility that will let you adjust DPI. You do realize that DPI (or dots per Inch) only relates to printing, and not to the resolution of the picture on the screen? You may be wanting to make the PNG larger without losing resolution? For that you would need to get a vector file of your PNG. That will cost a little bit and you can find information about that on Google also.

An Admin posted a real good acticle on DPI here a few days ago but I can't seem to find it right now. Hopefully gcuneo2 will pop back in here and re-post. :D

3. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

Your output resolution is printer dependent. DPI and PPI are two terms used incorrectly, daily.

Problems rear up when resizing a smaller logo (lets say 500 x 500 pixels) to something that will appear on a poster for example. That 500 x 500 pixel dimension will give you 250,000 bytes of info to work with. At times customers have sent the thumbnail image image into a place like staples, not realizing the thumbnail is really small.

The business card templates print up beautifully because their template size is actually quite big, but the information used is printed up in the area the size of a business card.

People get nice results, at larger sizes, by vectorizing their images.

So your local place (like staples) loads your pix up you want printed at 11 x 17, THEIR SOFTWARE IS GOING TO TELL THEM THE PIX IS AT 72DPI-- IT IS THE DEFAULT VALUE OF THE SOFTWARE..

That "72 dpi" rears it's ugly head time and time again because it is a standard measurement in the printing industry--- there are 72 "points" to a vertical inch. A font size of 36 means the font will print at 1/2 inch tall. Originally all of the 72 DPI monster began because monitors on early MAC computers were designed to be printed at that 72DPI scale- what was seen on the monitor was printed proportionally correct.

72 DPI is a standard number used is just about all photo editing software (Adobe photoshop for example) and also is the default value used by most software used at places like office depot or staples.

To keep the "Images as sharp as they are in the editor" would be a mistake. WHY? The vast majority of lcd screens display stuff only about 95-120 DPI.

Here is a link that explains it further.

http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2010/02/the-myth-of-dpi/

gunsmoke likes this.
  4. radirckze

radirckze

Thanks for the responses. After reading the responses I realized that the DPI was not the problem.
    I created a logo for a Google site per the dimensions specified by Google, i.e., 145 by 56 pix. Problem is the logo does not look sharp on the site, especially the edges. My friend created a similar logo using a different software which I added to the site and it looks great. Both were same format. Comparing the logo files the one I created is 6KB and the one my friend created was 15 KB. So my non-expert guess is its the quality of the image. What can I do to improve the quality of the image when exporting so it looks good on the site? If I increase the size of the canvas it increases the size of the banner on the site.

5. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Are you exporting as JPG or PNG?

Did your friend use the exact same graphics you did? Did they export in the same format you did? Are you sure? Regardless of the program, if the the graphics were not exactly the same then the results will not be exactly the same. 145 x 56, is that what your canvas was set to? That's a pretty small banner. Can you share a link to the site?

6. radirckze

radirckze

I exported to PNG - need the transparent background.
    The site with my logo (logo creator) is www.cirosoftware.com. (This is a placeholder)
    The site with my friends logo (MS Photo Draw) is on is the dev site: https://sites.google.com/a/cirosoftware.com/cs-studio-website---new/
    Actually I am using a canvas that is 290 x 104 - twice what Google recommends but it fits in the banner nicely. If I go higher it resizes the banner to make the graphics fit - I am using a goolge theme and have no control over the banner size.

7. KD-did

KD-did

I think seeing the logos side by side might allow you to see the difference that a mere effect can make . Screen shots of both logos....yours has a wider shadow.The other logos shadow isn't as wide and appears to be closer to the text. The color of the shading can change the appearance too. Shadows can sometimes make things appear blurry. It is amazing how the brain perceives different things.

When I first looked at both I would have agreed with you that the MS was clearer but seeing them side by side says other wise. Another thing that can make a difference is how the resizing was done. Resizers aren't necessarily the same, some will cause artifacts that affect the overall appearance.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
    gunsmoke likes this.
  8. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Yep, what KD-did said! Your logo is by far the sharper, even though it is smaller. That's a good thing too! A small graphic loads faster and gives your visitors a better overall experience. I say keep up the good work, and tell your friend to buy TLC!

9. KD-did

KD-did

One thing you might want to consider doing instead of a shadow is doing the text CIRO in 2 colors.White for top layer and black slight off. The Text will appear much stronger, especially when smaller. I know the green doesn't match but it was done to show you the difference of the text in 2 colors as opposed to having a shadow. I chose a lighter weight font to point out how the text is stronger using the 2 color system.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
    gcuneo2 and gunsmoke like this.