1. New Software Notice alert!

The new Web Graphics Creator (version 4.0) will be out soon.

For now, version 3.0 is still active and works great on most Windows machines. It no longer runs on Macs using Lion or greater... (but the new version will fix this)

So hang in there! It's almost done!

eCover - Exporting...

Discussion in 'Web Graphics Creator' started by Sam IM, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Sam IM

Sam IM

Hello everyone!

New user...

Wow.. there is a lot of info to sift through. I'm usually pretty good at figuring things out by trial and error fairly quickly, but this has got me totally stumped.

I created my eBook images and spine in the Art Center.. Exported them as jpeg.

I fired up the 3D eCover.. the one on the left. It seemed like the best one for what I am trying to accomplish.

What am I trying to accomplish..?

I just want an eCover. :banan:

So I got a nice rotating image. Everything is looking nice, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to export it to create a simple graphic.

I'm confused.. there is rendering, new screen shot, publish current model... the publish thing create a folder of files that require me to install something.. so I'm assuming that must be some kind of rotating image again..

How do I just say.. "There, export done."? I don't need it to move, rotate or do flips. I just want a static image for people to look at on my web page.

Thanks in advance!

-Sam

2. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Hi Sam.
    Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you need the middle eCover creation tool.

Take a look at the results from this user, see if this is more to what you're after.

- Marc

3. a¿ex

a¿ex Staff Member

It is the "rendering" button, the one with the camera icon.

"screen shot" is misleading, sorry. (I put it on my list to change for the next version)
    it just creates a "snapshot" of the current VIEW. (like the "Front", "Back" etc, VIEWS you can create your own voew presets, so you can "look" at different models through the same view (from the same view point)

Now the "publish" function, recreates a "working copy" of the whole setup, so that you could put it fully functional on your website, if you want the viewers of your website be able to interact with the model you created, zoom in and out, rotate etc.

you can also set it to automatic rotate...

That would be the free shockwave player, which enable your webbrowser to playback the so created files.
    it is a one time install aqnd enables your browser to display interactive content on many sites, which use this technology.

4. Sportcoder

Sportcoder

I'm also a newbie with this software, but I was unable to get a rendering when I tried to export a 3-d box image. The front, spine, and top went together nicely, and were assembled into an attractive box, but when I tried to export, a rendering notice came up and nothing else happened. A half hour later I had to abort the mission. I'm using XP and the (I think) 2.0 version of ecover creator.
    Any idea what happened?

5. a¿ex

a¿ex Staff Member

Do you get a alert, that the rendered image may be too big to be handled properly by your hardware?

Please try a smaller size of rthe output image (easiest is to shrink the window, before choosing "export")
    Also please try to reduce the level of Antialiasing (or turn it off completely)
    Next thing to try is another renderer. Which renders appear in your context menu? (right click on the background for the context menu to appear and select either openGL or directX7 from the renderer submenu)

6. Sportcoder

Sportcoder

Failure to Export

Hi Alex,

I get none of the options mentioned by anyone else. I view my 3-
    D image, click the camera, and immediately a small white window opens up across the image saying "Rendering image. Hold any key or mouse button to cancel." Then everything stopped. It is locked now as I write this, so it hasn't crippled my computer. Also, I neither see nor hear any action in the CPU. No window ever came up to choose a name for the file, an extension, etc.

The version I'm using is 2.2 of the eCover Creator and NOT the Web Graphics Creator.

I'll try to sneak in another (possibly related) question. When the program is open to a work screen it takes up the entire viewing area of my screen, not a window which normally could be minimized. Is this normal?

Again, as a reminder, I'm using XP on a Thinkpad which has had no problem previously handling CAD and other Ram and CPU hogging software.

Thanks, again,
    Sportcoder
    :image06:

7. a¿ex

a¿ex Staff Member

Aha!
    You should consider switching to WGC in order to get much mire options.

There has been a problem with the eCover creator on a few XP machines.
    Unfortunately I never was able to track it down exactly, as the two other people having that problem, never answered, once they got it working after I gave them another version. So I don't know exactly, what causes the error, but it sure is an error, which you just can't see, as the errors are surpressed in the eCover creator.
    The new code, which apperantly has fixed most of these issues made its way to WGC.
    Can you give WGC a try?
    Isn't there an upgrade route (I am not exactly sure here, maybe Marc can jump in here ?! Marc?)

Nonetheless, in your version, you can also resize the window with the 3-D scene. Try to grab the corner and resize the 3-d viewport to something smaller.
    Does that fix your issue ?

8. Luke409

Luke409

I'm using the lastest downlaod of WGC on XP Pro and the 3d view port seems to be a modal window... impossible to resize.

The fact that you have to export the entire screen, not just the ebook images, is counter-productive.

Is there a fix?

Thank you.

9. a¿ex

a¿ex Staff Member

I can definately resize the window. And you should also be able to resize the window.
    Are there other XP users, who can't resize the 3-D window?

Sorry, but I do not understand, what you mean here.

A fix for what ?
    I can only fix, what I understand as bug and what I also can reproduce.
    In order to fix, that you can't resize the window, we first need to track down why you can't with your (or other users seeing the same problem) help.

As for the "export just the ebook images" part, you will need to explain that a little further before I can "fix" anything related to that statement.

10. Randy...

Randy... Guest

I have no problems with resizing, using XP.

11. a¿ex

a¿ex Staff Member

thanks for confirming.
    So we'll need more infos in order to track down why Luke is not able to resize the window.

12. Luke409

Luke409

At the risk of being unkind (not my intent), you seem to use these terms a lot in your posts. The posts I have read seem pretty clear to the average person... why are such questions complicated to you? In my case, 3D window won't resize, what more can I say?

The simple fact is this software is not well documented and throws off error messages like crazy. Sorry, but it seem like it's going to be easier to create boxes in Photoshop than to try to explain it all to you.

13. a¿ex

a¿ex Staff Member

How am I supposed to find a fix for "3D window won't resize, what more can I say" ?

Sorry, I can't.

I simply can not guess, why your window won't resize, when other users can resize the window including myself.

I was trying to help, but I can not help you, if you are not willing to describe your problem in a way, that allows me to reproduce the problem in order to fix it. Heck, from my point of view it isn't even clear, if there is something to fix in the first place or you are simply misunderstanding, what is meant by the term "resize a window".