Dual Monitors

Discussion in 'FUN and Sharing Forum for Non-Creator stuff' started by Chris, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Chris

Chris Staff Member

I set my dual monitors up today and I tell you I don't know why I have waited to do this. I just wanted to let those know that are thinking about dual monitors to DO IT. It is the nicest thing to have, I have so much more control over my programs placements. I have TLC opened as an example and I have the tool bars on one monitor and the image I am editing on the other monitor, so much more space. I love it.

2. Lats

Lats Staff Member

Agreed, dual monitors make for the best working environment.

I use 2 lcd panels each @ 1280 x 1024, although a friend of mine had to go 1 better with 3 :)

3. Chris

Chris Staff Member

Yeah I was thinking about that also. I have a 15" LCD that I use along with a 21" CRT. I put all my Tool bars on the LCD and use the 21" for the actual images. A person can never have to much room.

4. DogStar

DogStar

I am hoping this thread will still get a response. Is there anything "special" needed to hook up and use dual monitors?

I am using a medium high end Gateway With Pentium 4. (unit is maybe 2 years old) with a single 17 inch flat panle monitor. Windows XP version 2002.

I would love to get a second monitor. Do I need to know anything ebfore making the purchase?

Appreciate the advice!
    Eric

5. Chris

Chris Staff Member

Hey Matt,

The only thing you need to do is add another video card to your PC. Remember that you cannot use on-board video and VGA video card. The VGA cancels the on-board out. I use a VGA and just a cheap PCI video card for mine. Install the new card and then when you reboot it should be ready to go. Let me know if you need any more help. OH yeah it is recommended to have both monitors set at the same resolution.

6. Lats

Lats Staff Member

Or, if you have some extra cash laying around, an dual head AGP card will give much better results.

I have a 128mb nvidia geforce fx 5700 which works very well.

7. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

... or, buy a Mac :D
    They've had the dual monitor ability since 1990.

I actually have 3 monitors hooked up to the same computer!

8. Frawgie

Frawgie

Welcome to Dual Display!

That's great! Our software runs off of dual display technology so I've been using it for awhile. You're right! It's awesome. Have you tried triple display? Caution: It's even more addicting!