Don't see templates in main screen

Discussion in 'Questions or troubles updating' started by Shawn, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Shawn

Shawn

Hi - I just installed 6.8 (new installation, not upgrade). Unlike the video demos, I don't see anything but latest announcement material. It keeps trying to have me save a folder for custom templates. Creating a folder in the dialog window does nothing. How do I get the existing templates to populate the main area like the video tutorials? Thanks!

2. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Start by watching this video...

Then you may want to read through the attached help file here. If you still have questions, please post back and let us know and we'll help you get started. We may need a little more information, such as what type of computer are you on? Windows or MAC?

Attached Files:

gcuneo2 likes this.
  3. Roscoe

Roscoe

None of this worked for me. I followed the instructions to the Tee, and nothing. When I create a folder on my desktop, the SAVE button changes to OPEN.

I am on a Windows machine, running Windows 7 Professional.

4. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Welcome to the forum Roscoe.

When you 'created a folder on your desktop', I assume that was when you 'first' ran TLC after installing? What you are doing is creating a 'working' directory where your logo work will be saved. There is no 'Save' button after that. The next thing you do is either open a template or start a new design. Either way, there will still be no save option other than 'Save a version'. Your work, as you do it, is automatically saved. Even if you exit the program, the next time you open it your work will be there. If you want to keep a current design, but make a few changes to look at, then use 'Save a version' to save the logo with a new name.

So, what exactly is the problem? Were you able to view the templates that came with TLC? Were you able to open any of them? The more information we can get, the better we can help you.

5. Roscoe

Roscoe

After installing TLC, closing it multiple times and restarting it, I still end up with this as the routine:

Start TLC, Announcements page is open.
    Access File Menu, only two options are NEW or OPEN TEMPLATE. Both options display the window regarding the 'next screen you will need to create and save a folder for custom templates'.
    When attempting to create a new template, or open a template, I am guided to the window to choose the Template folder I created. The folder I created merely opens, then once I finally choose a .tlc file (the only option that produces a response), it asks me if I want to SAVE, then OVERWRITE current file. I choose Yes, for the sake of it doing something, then that's it. Announcements are still there, no templates showing, etc.

6. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

You need to choose SELECT A TEMPLATE SET (THEN LOGO TEMPLATES) if you want to see all the templates. The logo creator provides over 200 templates. If you want to start off with a premade template then select what's highlighted in the attached image... You also select Your saved templates, and any add on paks your purchase thru that same menu choice.

If you choose FILE / NEW TEMPLATE You never will see the premade templates.

I think you are getting confused by the FILE / NEW TEMPLATE and FILE / OPEN TEMPLATE choices.

The FILE / OPEN TEMPLATE is typically used when YOU save a logo to a unique location, such as another hard drive.
    A working logo (one that is not exported) can also be called a template.

When you work on a logo and just save it it will get saved and you select it from the SELECT TEMPLATE SET button, it usually is called MY TEMPLATES.

When navigating to open a logo you only go as far as the FOLDER (there is no reason what so ever to open the folder) with the name of the logo, NO FURTHER.
    The tlc file is not like a .DOC file extension in MS Word--- The TLC file tells the software how to put all the parts of the logo (the elements and the text together)..... PLEASE PRETEND YOU CAN'T EVEN SEE THE TLC FILE!

ts.JPG

7. Roscoe

Roscoe

I clicked the 'Select a Template Set' button and was getting the same exact window regarding the next folder/save folder issue.

This is what finally worked: I held my mouse button on the 'Select a Template Set' button and then a slider appeared under it which read, "All Logo Templates" (or something similar). I dragged my mouse down to that button and I got the templates showing up on the right side. If I were to let go of the button before proceeding to the lower option, it would give me the window again.

It seems my problem is solved for now. If anything, it may reveal a bug (or just a flaw in my system).

gcuneo2 likes this.
  8. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Another thing you can check is that you 'Run as Administrator'. ( Just a thought ... )

9. rvw

rvw

Roscoe's experience is not unique. I just downloaded & installed 6.8 yesterday. The Main Template Page did not appear by default - as the beginning video demos. Only advertisements for other products are displayed along with a button to learn more about them... The one other button is the Select a Template Button. When I click on that, the Main Template button does not appear, rather the Select a Folder pop-up appears and the circuitous road to nowhere begins - as Roscoe reported.

Likewise, Roscoe's solution to click and hold the mouse button (or perhaps click over a particular area of the button??) was what solved the problem and stopped hours of frustration. There is definitely some problem here. I own v5 and did not experience issues like this.

10. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

In the windows version, by default, You will always see the "splash screen" first. Perhaps because all the help videos show the MAC version, on a MAC computer, is why the templates show up first thing.

The mouse issue: Roscoe and rvw are the first ones to report this issue. Rather unique that two users report the exact same issue. I Honestly don't think it's a software issue, rather it may bea mouse issue.

On first thought: It sounds like your contact switch may be faulty inside the mouse. The mouse is sending a "release" signal to the OS even though you still have the button pushed down. If you have another mouse layin' around, plug it in and see if you have the same behavior.

On second thought: Adobe AIR should always have the latest update installed, it's free. What does it do? In a nutshell: It's helps to display stuff. Download and install the latest update....

I will be back online in about 4 hours, let me know if using a different mouse works.

http://get.adobe.com/air/

11. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

Had an Idea: have you tried using a different mouse?

12. rvw

rvw

I tried the touchpad on my laptop - and had similar results, i.e., click 1x = 'Save a folder location" pops up;
    click2x and hold = 'Logo template' button drops down.
    I can roll down on it & click 1x to bring up the main template page. I can work with templates in a compromised way.

The big problem remains that I still cannot Name and Save a folder for my templates. The 'Save a folder location' pop-up button opens up the directory. I can create a new folder and name it - but that accomplishes nothing.

A moment ago I went to close out the program and a screen popped up asking if I wanted to save the template in 'The Logo Creator Templates' folder on the desktop (a folder that I did not create). I said yes > closed the program > opened it again and tried File> Open template - and no luck. I once again got the screen 'Save a Folder location ' pop-up.
    That's my limit for today...

13. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

Creating that folder is required to save your stuff into. You can save your stuff anywhere. When you close the logo creator, while working on a logo, that's where your stuff gets saved. You should only see that "Save a folder location" the very first time.

My recommendation at this point: Uninstall The logo creator, then reinstall it. That takes care of 97.5 % of issues.

14. rvw

rvw

I've already uninstalled it, shut down the computer, restarted it and downloaded the program again - in case the initial download was somehow faulty. After a fresh install, the problem persist. The program opens up the directory - and I create a folder but there is no apparent way to select THAT folder as the default save folder.

As mentioned previously, the program (automatically) created its own LOGO CREATOR TEMPLATES folder on my desktop. It will save a new project to that folder when I close the program. However, I cannot open the project again. When I go to File> Open Template - or 'Select a Template Set' - the same pop-up prompt appears once again telling me to select a folder location. Furthermore, I cannot reopen the project by going to the folder it is stored in because the program re-directs me to use the File> Open menu, which then... well you know the story by now

15. bksaunders

bksaunders

I just bought and installed Logo Creator and I'm having the same problem! I'm using a Win7 laptop.

16. KD-did

KD-did

I long ago changed my unzipping of files to using a FREE program called 7Zip http://www.7-zip.org/ and it has prevented me from having installation problems from using WINZIP . Many things can interfer with graphic files. There are many things that can go wrong. Another thing I have found useful is turning off antivirals , download mangers and accelerators before downloading .

Window machines users should search and delete DS_STORE files which can cause a lack of images to show.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
    gcuneo2 likes this.
  17. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

The problem rvw and Roscoe seem to be having, should not happen with v6.8

I have never had v6.8 automatically create a folder on my desktop named 'The Logo Creator Templates'

However, version 5.x did! So I guess my question is, did you have a previous version of TLC installed and working? And are you SURE that v6.8 created that directory on your desktop and not you, or an earlier version of TLC?

Either way, that directory being on your desktop should have nothing to do with your problem of not seeing or being able to view templates.

You say: Roscoe's experience is not unique. I just downloaded & installed 6.8 yesterday. The Main Template Page did not appear by default - as the beginning video demos. Only advertisements for other products are displayed along with a button to learn more about them... The one other button is the Select a Template Button. When I click on that, the Main Template button does not appear, rather the Select a Folder pop-up appears...

That is correct! That is what is suppose to happen the first time you start the software! It's working fine up to that point. In that pop-up window you MUST name a folder to save your templates to. That pop-up does nothing else! It simply allows you to create a folder on your hard drive. I assume you did that? That folder becomes your WORKING directory. This is where all your templates will be stored that you work on. Right now, at this point, it is empty! This is normal.

After you NAME that directory and the pop-up closes you are ready to go to work on your logos.

Now, click on the 'Select a template' button on the lower left. You should see several options INCLUDING the directory you just created ( or maybe not, it may not show if empty ). It's EMPTY so it will do nothing at this point. Click instead on the 'Logo Templates' button and you should get a list of templates showing in the right hand window.

Click on any template in that window and ANOTHER pop-up will appear asking you to 'Enter a name for your template'. This is normal. This is so that you do not overwrite your original templates by mistake. When you name a template here it will be saved in the folder you created when you first started the program. It will be an exact duplicate. But now, as you make changes to the template, they are saved in your 'working' directory. You do not have to save it. It saves automatically, even if you exit the program. The next time you start the program, instead of clicking on 'The Logo Templates', click instead on the directory you created and your modified logo will be there.

Instead of selecting a template, if you click 'File/New Template' from the top menu, you will be able to create your own design from scratch. It to will save automatically in your 'working' folder.

If you ever want to keep your design, but make a modification to it, then use the option 'File/Save a version' and this will let you save another copy of your logo design anywhere you choose on your hard drive. What I do is create folders for all my clients and save versions to the appropriate folder so I can access them whenever I need them. This just helps to keep things organized.

Anyway, follow these directions from a fresh install and everything should work for you.

That said, if you follow these directions, and when you click on 'The Logo Templates' and the right hand window comes up BLANK, then you have a problem. As KD-did says, delete all DS-Store files and try again. These are only needed if you are on a MAC computer, not Windows.

I hope this helps explain things a little better. Let us know how it goes.

gcuneo2 and KD-did like this.
  18. KD-did

KD-did

V6 did put folder on desktop but the auto-save folder made it so that file can be deleted.

19. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Hmm, okay. I just know mine was empty so I got rid of it. I thought it was left over from an earlier version. But you are correct, it's not needed. :cowboyno:

20. eeker1

eeker1

My exact problem, too. It's driving me crazy.

I installed 6.8 on a windows 8.1 system. I have not used Logo Creator before. My mouse works just fine with all other programs.

Also, clicking the videos has no results whatever.