Disappointed

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself!' started by ask21900, Apr 20, 2008.

1. ask21900

ask21900

I purchased the "Web Graphics Creator" a week or so ago, and I have to say that I am somewhat disappointed. Not in the "logo creation" or "art center" portion of the software, that is excellent, and prompted me to look into other LaughingBird software.

Maybe I should have looked over the details of the software (or tried a trial) before I purchased it, but I was originally planning on purchasing the stand-alone logo software when I noticed the "web graphics".

I was disappointed to learn that the web graphics software is really nothing more than the logo software with a button maker (oh yeah, and those flipbooks). I was further disappointed when I found that the button creator 1)only did flash buttons 2)had such a small selection of button templates and 3)had no form of dropdown (or expandable) buttons.

I'm not sure you can call something a "web graphics creator" when it doesn't have templates for regular web graphics. I'm not talking about logos, buttons, or even flash, but your everyday graphics displayed on millions of sites everyday (including http://www.laughingbirdsoftware.com/)

Furthermore, after using the logo creator, I went back to look at the corporate identity and ad creator packages. It seems like both of these packages are based upon the logo creator software, and both include it. I have a hard time buying a complete software package that, IMHO, should be offered as an add-on. Not to mention that my system is crowded enough without installing the same logo creator 3 times (before anybody snaps at me, I haven't looked and am not aware if the possibility exists to not install certain features again).

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the logo creation software, but I am honestly disappointed in these other items. In the past year or so, I have "lucked out", and every piece of software I have purchased has been amazing, leaving me wondering how I ever lived without it, never obtaining less than 100% satisfaction. If I had purchased the stand-alone logo creator, this experience would have extended my streak a little longer. All good things must come to an end, evidently.

2. KD-did

KD-did

You are correct each does come with TLC but each product has templates that are unique to that particular product. The software was made to be compatible and dovetail together. As you buy the different products the template library grows . Cic has its own templates as each other edition has its very own set of templates.

This is just the first line on each edition that I have on board.

3. ask21900

ask21900

So if I understand correctly, purchasing another product, say corporate identity, will essentially double the templates I have for logo creator (in web graphics)?

If that is the case, does the purchase of the additional product(s) require a duplicate install of logo creator, or does the install simply add the additional templates to the original install?

Also, if you could tell me... Is there any way to get additional button templates? Is there any way to obtain templates for other web graphics in general (header templates, etc.)? Finally, do you have some sort of "bundle" that i am not seeing that includes all of your products (the master collection, if you will)?

The reason I am asking is that I have been a coder for several years. My program of choice for development is notepad, if that tells you anything. I am more of a backend developer, and I can do amazing things with php/mysql/asp/etc. But despite my talents in coding, I have the artistic ability of a 2 yr old.

When I found your software, I actually found something that I could create (it's easy to change colors, text, and styles once you have an idea for the design). I have Creative Suite 3 Master Collection, I wasn't looking for something that I could use to create designs or flash (I think I have that covered). What appeals me to your software is the template collection, and the ease of customizing those templates. -I'll be honest here: I am nothing without your ideas (in design at least ;) ).

4. KD-did

KD-did

CiC is a 2 part installation . At the time of installation you will be asked if you have an edition on board and you answer yes CiC's 50 new templates will be added to the existing LB product (simply adding the additional templates) but if you answer "No" it will be a stand alone TLC. It much more convenient to keep all of your templates housed together so when you click on "Select a Logo Set" all the editions can be seen at one time. Why have a duplication of the engine and object elements taking up drive space?

There is a tutorial for making headers using TLC. http://www.thelogocreator.com/tutorial_05.htm

You can actually make some pretty snazzy custom buttons just using dingbat fonts.. even the "Shape" font embedded in TLC and inserting the orb images for a glassy look in the color option or using this technique such as http://www.logodesignforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7801
    once you have a basic shape. Dingbats are available for free on font sites.

The Mega Pac has all the editions of TLC but does not include CiC or The Ad Creator.
    http://www.thelogocreator.com/MegaPak.htm

5. ask21900

ask21900

Thanks... Not SO disappointed after all ;)

6. KD-did

KD-did

When you bought TLC you didn't realize you had bought more than a program ...you bought a tool chest full of possibilities and the forum members are always glad offer a helping hand and how to if asked.

You can even make buttons online.
    http://www.buttongenerator.com/

7. KakeNjodi

KakeNjodi

wow- i didn't know all this... 'When you bought TLC you didn't realize you had bought more than a program ...you bought a tool chest full of possibilities'

that is a commercial right there..

8. Wicked

Wicked

LoL.. It may sound commercial alright but the fact is what you read there is KD's own excitement for the product. See the staff here are all volunteers we do not get any commissions or a paycheck so what you hear someone recommend or show excitement on is purely just there own addiction to the software. Don't say I did not warn you.. You will get addicted. Hey at least theres no side effects huh?

9. Borpean

Borpean Staff Member

Yes kake! It slices and dices and performs complex tasks in minuets!! ahem... You will like this software more and more. It's not just for the novice but a great asset for pros (more commercial mayhem!!!... right next to the bullet :image10-2:

10. KakeNjodi

KakeNjodi

WOW- it performs in minuets? Marc is a musical genius as well...

11. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Thank you.

... it also performs for Minoans!

12. KakeNjodi

KakeNjodi

I heard you once performed in Manoa as well...

13. KD-did

KD-did

Here is the proof.

14. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member