1. New Software Notice alert!

The new Web Graphics Creator (version 4.0) will be out soon.

For now, version 3.0 is still active and works great on most Windows machines. It no longer runs on Macs using Lion or greater... (but the new version will fix this)

So hang in there! It's almost done!

Dimensions for different ecovers?

Discussion in 'Web Graphics Creator' started by 1medic, Mar 10, 2007.

1. 1medic

1medic

Hi, I've searched the forum for this but found no answers.

Are there dimensions you should use for the different ecovers?

For the one ecover I made I had to keep on guestimating and then going back and forth changing the size until it looked good.

Is there a specific dimension/ratio available?

I'm going to be using Fireworks for designing the cover in future since its so much easier for me to use. So it would be handy for me to know some dimensions... I'll probably just start experimenting with this before anyone answers this thread...

thanks,

Luke

2. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Hi Luke.

Great post.

For the 3D images, you don't need any specific dimensions.

Create your eCover artwork and save it (export it) as a Jpeg.
    Then, launch the 3D section of The Web Graphics Creator, find one of the 3D models... and right click over the face of the box. You can then import your artwork into the front.

Right click again and you can resize the image to fit the box, or resize the box to fit the image! :D

There are a few tutorials on this as well:
    The Web Graphics Creator - Tutorials

Hope this helps!

- Marc

3. 1medic

1medic

Wow, that's awesome - it means this is a lot easier than I thought.

That certainly helps.

Luke

4. 1medic

1medic

Hi, I had another question

I've uploaded an example I've been messing around with today - my first ever box.

Because the box is rotated to the left, it seems to obscure the margin on the right hand side. I've been trying to tweak the original graphic to overbalance stuff to the left to compensate.

Is there any way to deal with this?

A second question I had: I wrestled with the spiral notebook trying to get it to sit vertically. I've finally decided that there's no way this can be done - am I correct?

Luke

Attached Files:

5. a¿ex

a¿ex Staff Member

sorry, I do not undertsand this question.

Normally I'd say, choose the "rotate" command from the menu, but now I see, that I have a bug there and it is upside down then.
    Sorry, this slipped me.

Nonetheless you can rotate the spiral book, by clicking on it and selecting the "Rotate" *Tool* (!) from the topleft tools menu.
    Now with the rotate tool selected click on the red axis and drag the mouse, until the spiral book is vertical (and "dissappears below the ground plane").
    Now select the "Move" tool and drag the blue axis until the book is above the ground plane.

If I understood your first question, that might answer it. Just use the rotate axis tool to change the models orientation in reagrd to the "light source".

6. 1medic

1medic

Hi Alex,

thanks for responding.

I could have phrased my second more clearly. Let me rephrase:

I *can* get the spiral book vertical, but never vertical with the left side forward. Is it possible to have the spiral book vertical, and rotated to show the left side, in 3D?

Also to rephrase my first question: When a book is rotated to show the left side, graphic features on the far (right) side tend to disappear. This means for example that if I want text to be centered then I have to move text to the left in my original graphic.

Luke

7. a¿ex

a¿ex Staff Member

sorry, but I fear I do not understand what you mean. maybe another person reading this wants to jump in here?!
    You can rotate the view with the bottom left controls inside a certain constraint.
    And you can rotate the 3-D object without any constraints to whatever angle you want to view at.
    I think both of these tools combined allow to view the object from every "camera angle"
    What setting did you choose for the texture?
    If you chose "Resize texture to fit height" it may happen, that the right and the lfet side are cut off.
    If you choose "Resize model to fit" or "Resize texture to fit" or "resize texture to fit exactly" you should see both sides of the texture.
    Oh, now I see...
    I just tried to make a test image and can see, that it looks different after being rendered to an image file.
    I never noticed that the texture coordinates seem to get shifted a little bit, when changing the renderer (I must change the renderer from realtime 3-D hardware accelerated renderer to #software renderer in order to get the image of the object for export)
    Sorry, at the moment, there seems to be nothing left, than take this slight shift into consideration, until I investigated the issue further and maybe find a solution for the issue :-(
    Out of interest, are you seeing that issue on Mac or PC ?
    If you are on PC, which renderer have you chosen, openGL or directX7, could you tried to switch to the *other* renderer and report back, if the issue exists the same ? In this case the results may be better using directX7, if available, as directX allows for hardware rendered screengrabs and this chances are, that you see the same in realtime as you see, when it is rendered to file.

8. 1medic

1medic

Hi Alex

I'll give the spiral book rotation another try following your instructions - I must have overlooked something.

Re: the 2nd issue, I'm using a PC. When I was creating this, I went through all the different rendering options and didn't notice a difference in the positioning of text.

Luke

9. 1medic

1medic

Alex, a spiral book challenge :)

Alex

I've spent more time on this now and I don't think the statement above is correct - at least not on my machine.

I know there's been some difficulty in me explaining what I'm trying to achieve...

Do you see that thumbnail that I uploaded? With ecover vertical and the "camera" is on the left side?

What I am saying - and have been trying to say - is that with a spiral book it is impossible to get that position!

Rather than talking back and forth over the issue, would you mind uploading a spiral book in that position to prove me wrong?

I'll be glad to be corrected.

Luke

10. a¿ex

a¿ex Staff Member

try the link below:
    http://www.farbflash.de/WGC/dswmedia/

click on the image, so that the shockwave movie launches (you may need to install the free shockwave player from adobe)
    there are three objects (sometimes loading takes a bit longer and you don't see the last in the list, in this case your spiral book, just hide the model menu and then re-open it)
    select the spiral book and then click on the "tools" menu and select the last entry "1medic", this should rotate the spiral book to the position you are asking for (as long as you are referring to the image you sent some days ago)

I rotatet the spiral book exactly like I described it already. I am not a native english speaker, so I apologize, if I have explained it in a way, that you can't understand that easy.

11. 1medic

1medic

Hi Alex

It took me a while to understand what to do.

Yes, I see, you rotated it exactly in that position.

Well, I guess its possible.

For some reason, I can't seem to make that work on my machine.

ah well...

Luke

12. a¿ex

a¿ex Staff Member

odd... :-(

if you click on the 3-D model, you do see the three axis, red, blue and green colored, do you ?
    and in the upper left corner a box with additional tools appear as soon as the axis are visible after clicking on the model, aren't they ?

now choose the "rotation" tool (the second icon from the top), the icon now should be highlighted with a red outline.

now left click on one of the axis and drag the mouse, while holding down the mousebutton.
    You should now be able to rotate the 3-D model around the axis you clicked.

in case of the spiral book rotate around the red axis and then move up using the first tool at the upper left and dragging the blue axis.

If any of the axis is below the floor, just hide the floor temporarely in order to be able to pick the axis.

HTH

13. alphatiny

alphatiny

Could it have anything to do with his video card? Or anti-aliasing? Just some thoughts.