Demo needs help

Discussion in 'Raves and Rants' started by cditty, Feb 12, 2005.

1. cditty

cditty

I must say that as a potential buyer, I am not impressed. I downloaded the demo version and installed it with all the default options. When I went to run it, I clicked on Start -> Programs -> Etc and chose the TLC program to run. First problem, broken shortcut. How can you expect customers to run a program when a program that created it can't even find it?

After I found the correct exe to run and ran the program, I thought that I would start with the tutorial that came in my welcome email - http://www.thelogocreator.com/tutorials.htm. Mistake #2. Following the instructions, I couldn't get past step 1. When I would select ANY logo set, all I could get was the readme section or a getting started section. After these initial problems, I decided to unstall and move on to another program. Before anyone asks, yes I did try to uninstall it and reinstall it. Same problems.

Another thing for support to look at. Fix your emails to new download people. You give a link the the download page incase the person missed it. Unfortunately, that page is no good. Here is the url directly from the email. http://www.thelogocreator.com/demo/download_demo_now.html

Congrat's to you that got it installed and working. You have greater patence than I do. From what I have seen, the graphics look great. Too bad I won't be able to create similar items with this program.

2. KD-did

KD-did

Sorry to hear you are having such a rough start. Is your DEMO from a download or from a magazine? Is it Mac or Win?

Did you by chance rename the download files. It has been known to cause problems if you do/did. For best results it is important that you are certain you are free of spyware/adware and that you have the latest Macromedia on board.

After unzipping and installation most launch TLC by double clicking on the desktop TLC icon and then on the template .

For more information check out: http://www.digitalriver.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry11?xid=38732&SP=10107&PN=1

The support page was moved to: http://www.thelogocreator.com/tech_support.php

It is usually better to PM "laughingbird" (Marc Sylvester) as his mailbox fills daily and somethings get lost to cyberspace but, you can use http://www.thelogocreator.com/contact.php

3. cditty

cditty

I did not rename anything. I download from the website, unzipped and ran the install program. I got the windows version and it installed fine. Chose all the default options. There was no desktop icon. The only icon was in the program files group and that one was a broken shortcut.

The problem was not on my end.

4. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Hi CDitty.

I'm really sorry to hear of your troubles.
    In all of my testings, and all of the people who have downloaded the demo, and all of the people who have purchased the software, no body has ever mentioned a broken icon in the Menu > Start program.

Anybody reading this have any problems like this?
    I'll have to check this one out ASAP.

CDiddy, I'm sorry for your troubles.

The link to the download you mention above had a space in it at the very end. See the "%20" -- that's not code, that's an HTML space. Thanks for pointing this one out, I'll fix this one.

Check your PM (private message) PM, I've sent you something.

Hope to hear from you shortly!

- Marc

5. perfectjewel

perfectjewel

CDitty,

As a devotee of this program, I can only tell you to hang with it until they can come up with a fix. This program is nothing short of incredible. Well worth your patience (and I'm in no way involved with the company other than as a consumer).

6. cditty

cditty

Marc is helping me and I am in playing with it as we speak. Here are some things I have noticed now that I am actually in.

No zoom feature. I LOVE my zoom feature. :)
    No delete element. What happens when you add something then change your mind?
    Ctrl-Z - doesn't work. In fact, none of my ctrl keys work this. (just tested, they work as expected in other programs.)
    Oh yea, that darn demo decal covering my new masterpiece. ;)

7. KD-did

KD-did

cditty, maybe you can make it a suggestion for future updates. I, myself would LOVE to have the use of being able to take things prepared off a clipboard .

To delete.. it is under modify.. you can delete image/text or you can undo under modify.

8. cditty

cditty

Thanks Katie. I looked that listing up and down several times and never saw it.

No paste? argh. I love to cut and paste.

Another feature that would be nice would be a image editor. There are a few images that I would like to either grab something out of and use in another logo or completely remove that item from the image.

9. KD-did

KD-did

Try importing the image you want into the template or start a new logo and import it there. For best results remove white backing from image.You can use your favorite editor and then import into TLC.

10. cybrnetico

cybrnetico Staff Member

cditty, glad you got the ball rolling. TLC is a great piece of software :)

11. cditty

cditty

Marc was able to get me going, but for some reason, I still can't look at the orbs or swooshes themes. It just takes me to the help screens. Once I can get into those areas and play around some more, we'll see where it leads.