Create own db files

Discussion in 'General Support' started by BrettOnTheNet, May 18, 2013.

1. BrettOnTheNet

BrettOnTheNet

Hi

I was wondering if it is possible to take all the images that I already own, and create my own db files to use within TLC. So rather than import them as PNG etc, I can have direct access to them from the dropdowns.

Is this feasible

Thanks
    Brett

2. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

It just so happens I am the expert at this! To actually create the DB files requires some pretty 'spenvise software.

THIS METHOD ALSO WORKS FOR VERSION 6.6 OF THE LOGO CREATOR!

THIS IS HOW TO DO IT FOR FREE! There are plenty of free programs that do batch conversions.

It basically requires Batch conversions of your images to the png format. I've made a 2 page handout explaining how to do it.

http://www.laughingbirdsoftware.com...raphics-that-work-in-tlc-version-6-pdf.17193/

3. BrettOnTheNet

BrettOnTheNet

Thank you! I have done that, and can see my folder from within TLC. But none of the images show up when I click on the folder with TLC. I wonder if this is something to do with the same problem I had trying to install the People Pak - where my My Documents folder is not in the standard place.

4. BrettOnTheNet

BrettOnTheNet

Note the same thing happens with the Mascot pack I have, which is a bunch of PNG files already. I can't use them unless I import them as PNG.

5. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

See the attached. The location of these is NON-NEGOTIABLE! 2libraries.jpg

6. BrettOnTheNet

BrettOnTheNet

Yes I understand that. But my issue is that my My Documents folder is not in the standard place. It's not on C:\Users .... but on D:\Users .... On Windows you can move the location of your My Documents folder - in such a way that you still access it as shown in your screenshot, but you end up going to a non-standard folder in the background.

Laughingbird's People Pak installation did not recognise this and installed that pack in C:\Users... I had to then move it to D:\Users, and it worked fine

But ... If I copy the Mascots folder to My Documents\Laughingbird Documents\Logo Elements, I can then see the Mascots folder in the dropdown in TLC.

But, none of the PNG files in that folder come through into the software.

This seems to be an issue with Laughingbird not fully recognizing that my official "My Documents" folder is not in the standard place.

I also put that Mascots folder in the C:\ location, where the old and unused MyDocuments folder is now. That did not work either.

Thanks
    Brett

7. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

NAvigate to the mascots folder. DO NOT OPEN THE PROGRAM. Delete the DS_Store file.

8. BrettOnTheNet

BrettOnTheNet

Well, would you look at that! Thank you so much!

9. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

All of the ADMINS and MODS in the forum are volunteers. We are online at all different times. I'm on the west coast and usually spend an hour or two here each morning with my morning coffee.

Laughingbird is by no means a huge company. Most users get a response pretty quick-- Im still waiting for for an answer to a problem with windows 3.0--- I guess 20 years is not a big deal to some companies.

I keep forgetting about the DS store file. It's used on MAC computers and tells windows about icon layout and stuff like that. NOT NEEDED IN WINDOWS! Windows tries to process the info in the file and basically says "DUH, I don't know what to do here" so it choses to not display files you know are there (A very simplified explanation).

I've gone through most of my stuff and have deleted that ds store file just for the fun of it, with no problem.

However, occasionally, with stuff like the mascots folder, that DS store file has got to go. I do believe it's there because all of the original laughingbird software is made on a MAC computer.

The ds store file has been a nusiance for many for years.

here's a link that 'splains it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.DS_Store