Could Vista Update cause a problem?

Discussion in 'The Flash Ad Creator' started by hufy82, Jan 31, 2009.

1. hufy82

hufy82

My flash ad creations were working great (and may still be), but after I downloaded the "Windows Vista Service Pack 1" update, they areas with the flash movies only show up as white space. I know since I have not changed anything on the web site itself, that its appearance shouldn't have changed.

Can anyone see the movie on the left of my web site? It is supposed to be below the Gander Mountain ad and just above the paragraph that begins with the word Safari.

I can't figure out what is going on with this thing!

2. Chris_Houg

Chris_Houg Staff Member

It's your html that you have for the flash ad. You have

VALUE=#FFFFFF><EMBED

and it should be

VALUE=#FFFFFF> <EMBED

3. hufy82

hufy82

Thanks Chris. I missed that somehow! I placed the >< where they belong now. :)

There is definitely a problem with my computer, though. Here's the sequence of events:
    1. Created flash ad
    2. Embedded in web page and uploaded to server and verified it was functioning on web page www.brewersafrica.com
    3. Prompted by new software installation that Windows Vista Service Pack 1 update was required before new software could be installed.
    4. Downloaded Windows Vista Service Pack 1 update.
    5. Flash ad no longer visble on my computer when I navigate to my web site, www.brewersfrica.com, even though NO further changes had been made to that web site.
    6. Called daughter in South Carolina who checked out the web site and verifed that the flash ad was alive and well and she could see it just fine.
    7. I still can't see it on THIS computer, even with the code change. All I see is the empty space where it belongs. I'm wondering if the Windows update boogered up my Internet Explorer 7. (My daughter uses Firefox.)

Anyway, after I create a flash ad here at home, I have to call someone else and ask them how it looks. Big mystery!

4. OldenGray

OldenGray

Get this document and read some of the deployment issues for IE7

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...EB-C44F-40D6-825B-E571AA5973C0&displaylang=en

You might run across some topics that will solve your problem. Other than that, you might uninstall IE7 and reinstall OR.... switch to Firefox.

BTW, if you decide to delete IE7, you should already have Firefox installed as you will need a browser to reinstall IE7. Don't paint yourself into a corner, if you know what I mean!

They will also want you to try the IE8 beta. DON'T... not yet anyway. Wait until the stable version is released later this year.

5. Just Bill

Just Bill

Follow OG's advice about browsers. I bought a new computer 2 weeks ago and thought I might as well get up to date on everything. Installed IE8 Beta. Big mistake. Now I can't uninstall and will have to wait for stable version just as OG advises.

6. hufy82

hufy82

Thanks! I'll try switching to Firefox. And thanks for the tip about the IE8 version.
    S.

7. Chris_Houg

Chris_Houg Staff Member

You may want to see if you have the latest Flashplayer installed from adobe.

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

If you have the latest, you may want to try reinstalling it.

8. Lamo1graphic

Lamo1graphic

try updating your active x,flash player.and java