Coming Up With Ideas

Discussion in 'Raves and Rants' started by blackknight, May 5, 2005.

1. blackknight

blackknight

I just wanted to put my two cents in again. I drive for a living, 5 days a week and 12 hours a day ( nites) When I am in my vehicle I have alot of time on my hands in the evening so whenever I have slack time I sketch. I make little thumbnails not to create masterpieces but to give me a memory boost the next day when I create my logo on the computer. Part of my "technique" involves thinking up company names (this is all done before I even think of the logo design and I also try to think up slogan/taglines. I find that by thinking up a company name or industry/profession first it spurs my creativity and the ideas come alot faster when I have some background to go on. I don't know about what you all do but when I go shopping I am looking at the packaging and I make mental notes of good design that I see; and while driving I look for anything that catches my eye and it isn't always a sign or ad, sometimes I will see certain architechture on a building and I will get the idea from there. Sure, sometimes I get dry spells but that is my body telling me I need a rest. But overall I find that when you have a pencil in your hand it is telling the mind that you are prepared and ready to get into action. I can't say how many logos I have created by an idea I had the night before but just the habit of recording your thoughts keeps everything in sinc, otherwise I have a memory like a seave and the idea would get lost. Anyway, here is one logo I did by just thinking about "BEER" and making my little thumbnails until I get an idea I want to try out.
    Blackknight

Attached Files:

• 43.jpg
      43.jpg
      File size:
      65.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Flotsom

Flotsom

Neat logo, BlackKnight, and thanks for the insight! :)

3. KD-did

KD-did

Very nice logo and a great post.

4. Gravy

Gravy

Good info indeed.
    I too find myself being more aware of how shapes and colors compliment each other and trying to incoporate them into my designs.

5. KD-did

KD-did

This thread got me to thinking about the illustrators of years gone by. The likes of Norman Rockwell or Alberto Vargas ...Where are the modern day equivalents and who are they?

6. MasterDesign

MasterDesign

Different slyles and different tastes don't stand in the way of recognizing a true artist and the kwality of work they produce, therefor i could place some very talented tattoo artists, that are active right here and now in that same rare catogory as Rockwell or Vargas. Personaly i get a lot of inspiration of these modern day urban artists whom, thru there work, make this world a much more beautifull and interesting place, especialy because these works of art are out there for you and me to see on the skins of everykind of people. There are many tattoo artists i admire and i'm sure everybody has there favourite one so i'll stick to nameing one name, from the Netherlands: http://www.schiffmacher.nl (check out the hall of shame as well)

By the way, what about those men and women that draw the comix like spawn, spiderman (todd mcFarlane) and others... :WOW1:

7. Borpean

Borpean Staff Member

blackknight, has a great idea and can be very helpful to novice designers. Everywhere you look is an inspiration. From building structures to paintings to comic books. Walking down the street and seeing a layout for some ad or sign can be a great influence on creating your next logo. There are certain elements that work and some that don't. Magazines are also a great place to get ideas or learn from professionals. You don't have to be able to draw a circle to become a good designer :)
    I may draw mascots or cartoonish like characters, but my inspirations can easily be from a Rockwell painting and even Picasso abstract painting.
    That's what's great about art. It can cater to anyone because of the variety in styles and taste. The artists of Spawn, Spiderman, tattoo artist etc are just as equal in talent as a Rockwell, a Vargas or a Picasso.

There are no limits.