Coming Soon to a Gas Station near you ...

Discussion in 'FUN and Sharing Forum for Non-Creator stuff' started by Flotsom, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Flotsom

Flotsom

Almost not funny!:lol:

2. lordzenn

lordzenn

Thoughts on Fuel

You know let me just inform you guys of something In Saint Lucia, which is in the Caribbean we pay EC$8.50 per imperial gallon of gas now that works out to about US$$3.15 a gallon. Now it is set to reach soon some EC$9.00- 10.00 per imperial gallon US$$3.33 - US$3.69 .

It is time we start looking at alternative fuels and curb engine displacement I mean do you really need a V8 ina family car. Those with large displacements are the first to feel the squeeze of higher gas prices.

I think the Chinese have the right Idea more bicycles. I guess that is not going to happen in a hurry but there are alternatives to gasolene. Ethanol, vegetable oil, hemp yep believe it, Hydrogen to name a few. Some enterprising Africans run cars on a simple household propane tank, but that is made from Crude oil.

3. Flotsom

Flotsom

:eek: Ouch!!!!

I'm not sure what the hold up is on Hydrogen fuel, but it's definitely short sighted to continue on our current course.

However, having said that, I'm not sure I want to climb in the cockpit of a lower powered plane, and hydrogen doesn't develop the same power.

A Cessna 172 is not exactly high powered, but it still cruises at around 8 - 9 gallons per hour; 10 - 11 if you push the throttle to 83% power; in a climb ... well, you don't climb for hours, but .4 gal/minute to climb 1000'. Flight fuel is now going for $4.00/U.S. gallon, and (sorry) climbing! Almost makes a honkin' SUV's V-8 look good!:D

Imagine what a 747 burns! :alert:

4. Gravy

Gravy

I was told that a C5-A takes 600 gallons just to get it off the ground.

5. lordzenn

lordzenn

Consider This

But think about this: Do you think that at present that there is technology to allow alternative fuels to deliver th same amount of energy. I mean the makers of the Maesarti, I hope I spelt that right, have made an electric car that goes from 0 - 60 in under 4 seconds.

The point is I think looking into alternative fuelsis all a question of economics. Deleoped countries stand to lose alot as many of the alternative fuels (well the organic ones) can be produced in the developing world and they will have no leverage against these countries.

We are just being stupid and short sited because if oil reaches US$105.00 a barrel then that is it. Many world economies will collapse. It is apparent that there is only a little oil left. Amercian thirst for large displacement engines is not helping neither is building of bigger air buses either.

The fact is we have to seriously consider the long term because what happened in the early 70's will happen again sooner rather than later and this time because of myopic self-centered polticians we are just spinning our tops in mud.

6. Flotsom

Flotsom

As much as I love to lay the ills of the world at the feet of myopic politicians, and certainly they can take credit for a great number of them, in this there are many players.

1- Consider what happens to the "power structure" of the world if you eliminate oil from the mix ... for better or worse, this is an oil based economy. Topple the oil producers, and the resulting instability could make places like Iraq look like vacation spots!

2- The economics of supply and demand pretty much dictate the going price. If the people of the world stopped buying, the price would drop like a rock. As long as oil producers can sell us oil ... they will. It would appear that the world is still willing to buy oil ... and there are alternatives already, as lordzenn has pointed out.

They've actually got school busses in Northern Nevada that will run on water! I don't understand the technology involved, but they're not steam. I don't think they are still in use, but they ran them for about 2-3 years, and they did well. Japan currently has hydrogen powered engines, whose only by-product is water! They are currently in use there powering everything from small cars to freight trucks! Don't know if they'd fly a plane ... probably.

Generally, people want convenience, and cost be damned ... and there lies the heart of the problem, because in this case the cost is the environment. IMHO

7. Gravy

Gravy

True and one of the reasons there is a high demand for oil is that the Chinese are in the middle of an idustrial revolution. More folks over there are owning/buying cars and building things at fantastic rates. With no slowdown in sight. Normal economics dictate that the more demand there is for something the cheaper it becomes. Not so with oil and its by-products, gas, diesel, plastic etc...

The problem with gasoline is not that there is a shortage of oil but the fact that there is a shortage of refineries. Each refinery can only put out just so much, and due to earth healthy sanctions no new refineries are being built, as a matter of fact I don't believe any new ones have been built in the US since the middle '70's. And several have been shut down because it was just too expensive to comply with EPA regulations.

Alternatives are available but they are expensive at the moment because there is no demand for them.

BTW yes hydrogen fuel cell power is very efficient and has no pollutants as a discharge but unfortunately it is a very dirty process to make hydrogen. Scientists are hoping to be able to "scoop" free hydrogen molecules from outer space someday.

8. Gravy

Gravy

Hey Flot I manged to catch up and pass your number of posts. But we're still running neck and neck. :banasplit :banana :attention :lol: :35:

9. Flotsom

Flotsom

Go Gravy! :;yessir: Hoowah! :spaz:
    :beer:

P.S.
    I didn't know that ... thanks!

10. Flotsom

Flotsom

11. lordzenn

lordzenn

Well do you think someonewith clout will read this thread and say hey these guys have some BRILLIANT ideas lets investigate. I think not. Bottom line whenther the alternatives are expensive at the moment or whether you buy into the propaganda that is circulating about why Gasolene is so expensive the bottom line the world' is too heavily depnedant on oil and they should be a serious attempt made to reduce that dependent.

Alternative fuel cars is a good start. Living the oil for power generation at the present until we wean ourselves of it totally.

But whom I kidding money is king and as long as the middle east can make money and invest in the western world who am I to complain. Film at 11.

12. Flotsom

Flotsom

Yes, and has always been ... in one form or another, be it dollars, gold bars, or clams! :) And yet, every once in awhile humankind will surprise you, so never give up hope, never stop pleading your case, never stop striving to seek the best in what you offer.

In the words of Chief Dan George ... "endeavor to persevere!" ;)