Color text and shadow problem

Discussion in 'Raves and Rants' started by GreenBoots, May 14, 2006.

1. GreenBoots

GreenBoots

I'm using Windows XP, Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, 512k. Running TLC version 5.0 upgraded from version 4. This problem did not occur with version 4.

I didn't notice this problem until I started creating logos on larger than default canvas's. When I try to change the color of text from the default gradient color to any other color, as soon as I click the done button the color changes to white. I have the same problem with shadows on any element. I can choose any color I want but when I click the done button the shadow changes to white. The only workaround I've found is to save the logo after I pick the color but before I click the done button. Then I have to reload the logo to continue working on it. It's very frustrating, please help!!!

2. KD-did

KD-did

If I understand you correctly that this only happens when you are working on a larger canvas...it might be that your resources are stretched, look into what applications you are running in the background.

You might find working on the regular canvas size and enlarging to the desired size after less frustrating.You can drag to a larger size on export or use Pixresizer to make the logo much larger. Great little free program that doesn't appear to leave any artifacts.
    http://www.thelogocreator.com/orderlookup.htm

3. GreenBoots

GreenBoots

KD-did, thanks for the reply. The problem doesn't appear when using version 4, only version 5. I believe I said my system had 512k of ram, obviously it's 512 MB of ram. I've tried it with no other apps running, I really don't feel that it's a resource problem - have you tried to recreate the problem? I've tried resizing on export, I'm not satisfied with the quality, the text becomes very jaggy. Thanks for your assistance on this.

4. KD-did

KD-did

Dragging to enlarge isn't my preferance either that is why I highly recommend Pixresizer...I have never seen an image fall apart up to 3 or 4 times the original size. How big are you trying to go?

5. GreenBoots

GreenBoots

1005 x 660 I'd go bigger if the software allowed it. Many of my clients want to use their designs for t-shirts but blowing it big enough makes it look very pixilated. So I start with as big a canvas as possible.

6. GreenBoots

GreenBoots

I just downloade pixresizer from bluefive software (was that the right one?) It seems good at reducing the size of graphics but not very good at increasing them - again too pixilated...

7. KD-did

KD-did

IMHO Pixresizer is great for making larger images but not that large...especially when there is shadowing done in the design.....for t-shirts you should have the design vectorized. http://www.vikingarts.com at between $5 and $25 and usually an overnight turnaround.Or use something like Adobe Illustrator to do for yourself.Then it can be made HUGE without any loss of resolution.

8. GreenBoots

GreenBoots

That's helpful, I'll probably send them a design to test so that I can recommend them to my clients. But let's get back to the original problem. What other ideas do you have to resolve it. Again it happens without fail everytime I use a large canvas ie. 1002 x 668. It doesn't matter if I drag and stretch the canvas or if I manually set the dimensions. It never happens with version 4 (actually 4.1). It affects both the color and shadow to both text and images. Please help me out here.

9. HiJacKingQueen

HiJacKingQueen

had the same problem getting good quality outputs when image is blown up to a much bigger size like when we needed to print the logos on a tarpaulin, so i understand your frustration.

what we did was to save the small graphics and then worked on it (enlarged it) using another graphics software (Adobe Photoshop), or you can just re-create your logo there.

Am not yet sure about Paint Shop Pro capabilities.

10. KD-did

KD-did

I am not seeing the shadow and coloration issue myself but I did notice that images weren't quite as clear as normal with images kept to the proportions for the larger canvas. What you may want to try is to keep the canvas regular size or slightly enlarged , filling the canvas with the image or text...working on each part of the logo separately ..color and enlarge as necessary,exporting PNG and DPI of atleast 300 and then assembling on the larger canvas.Granted it isn't ideal and more steps but the end result is usually better than what you have been getting.Or as a last resort you could go back to the V4.1...

11. GreenBoots

GreenBoots

I don't know if this helps or just confuses thing more. I have 2 other PCs in my house. I installed version 4.1 - no problems. I upgraded to version 5 - same problem with the color and shadows on 2 other PCs! It seems to me that there is definately an issue with the software.

12. KD-did

KD-did

I would think all of your computers would have certain things in common, such as security, anti-viral and service paks...so you would get a duplication of the problem.

13. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

I think KD may be right! Each of your computers may have something that is interfering with the colorization. I would think it would be a memory issue. If your canvas is big, perhaps you're making your images big - and they're not able to colorize.

I can't seem to duplicate the problem on my side and on the test computers I've been running.

... anybody else reading this... do you have the same problem?

Greenboots, what is your computer config?

14. cybrnetico

cybrnetico Staff Member

try this

I used to have this problem, but i never seen anybody bring it up till now.
    It seems that the elements or text turn white if you have the menu/panel on top of the canvas. so when selecting a color and you hit done, it would turn white.

Try moving the canvas to the left were the menu-panel is not touching see what happens. It work for me :D

15. Mr Laughingbird

Really?
    Interesting Cyber!

I'll give this a try.
    NICE catch!!

- Marc

16. GreenBoots

GreenBoots

Thanks Cyber, that does indeed correct the problem. Kind of a quirky bug, any chance of getting a fix for it? :thankyou:

17. Mr Laughingbird

Now that I know what the bug IS ... yes! I'll most definatly find a fix for it.

Cyber - terrific catch on that one.

- Marc

18. cybrnetico

cybrnetico Staff Member

Greenboots: Glad it worked for you :)

LB: Thanks Marc! TLC rocks!