Color Selector Problem in TLC 3.5/3.6 for OS X

Discussion in 'Raves and Rants' started by eon, Sep 10, 2004.

1. eon

eon

Happy Friday, everyone.

Purchased the retail version of TLC last week and have not had much chance to start playing with it until today. I ran into a problem with the 3.5 version, tried the online update, and found the 3.6 upgrade, so I downloaded and installed that. At first, it ran in DEMO mode, but I finally got around that (thanks, Marc!)

However, I'm still having the same trouble with 3.6 that I was having with 3.5. Here's my config:

333MHz G3 with 288MB RAM running Mac OS 10.2.8.

I can place default objects all over the place in logos. I can move and modify text, swooshes, orbs, etc., all day long. Whenever I try to modify a color, however, no matter what color I select or which pallette I use, when I click "Done" the program sets my object color to white. This goes for text colors, any gradients, object colorization, even shadows (a white shadow on a white background is an interesting look).

So far, I really like what I see, but if I can't change colors on anything, it's no going to be a very useful program for me.

I've tried changing the color depth on my display, the default color scheme, the display resolution, all to no avail. In fact, it's often very difficult to even click on a color in a pallette to get it to select in the edit window in most cases. I usually have to click and HOLD the mouse button before the interface will update with my selection.

Boy am I hoping that I've overlooked something in settings of preferences and this isn't a program bug. Please let me know what I've overlooked so I can get moving with this program this weekend.

Thanks!

-eon

2. LogoManiac

LogoManiac

In XP Pro, I have also noticed that when objects are groupd and I colorize or gradient the object, it seems as though TLC is dragging along.....
    If I colorize it and click on the pallete, it takes a brief moment to update the color.....the more objects that are grouped, the longer it takes to update.
    This also happens when changing between the Colorize and Gradient obtions.

As for your problem with white...I have not experienced that. Maybe something specific to Macs? I'm on a Win box.

3. LFitzg

LFitzg

I've had trouble with the color taking too. If the object is blue for example and I want to change it to red, I get a washed out gray color instead. Never the color I want.

4. LogoManiac

LogoManiac

"Never the color I want".....could be due to the lag factor. Have you tried clicking on the color you want and leaving the cursor stationary until the color takes?? It may be reading the cursor in a different position on the palette than what was originally clicked, if the reading of the click lags like the coloring effect.

This lag effect could be the result of the system...... I'm running XP Pro on Athlon XP1800+/512MB ram/60GB HDD/nVidia Ti300 64MB vid card....
    Nothing extremely spectacular but it handles most other Graphic apps just fine.
    I guess once I finish building me other box I'll be doing some side by side compares.

5. eon

eon

I"ve noticed the lag, too. But that's not the real problem I'm having. I have to click and hold (usually several seconds) to get the color in the pallette to display not only in the selection window, but in the actual object itself. Even when I wait for 10-15 seconds after the color is selected, as soon as I click Done or anywhere else in the dialog box, the color changes to white.

Now, I've found a workaround. When I select the color I want, click Done and the color changes to white, I can then press Command-Z to "undo" the last color change and get the color I selected. It's a kludge, but I've had some success with it. It's just painfully slow gettint to the point where I can even select the color. Having to "undo" to get the color I selected is just a bit silly.

Now, I have one other idea, and when I get back to where I can spend a few minutes with the program, I'm going to try it out. I'll report back once I do.

-eon

6. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Hi Eon!
    This is a genius workaround.

I'm sorry that you have to even use it, but it seems to work.
    On my machines (Mac OSX, Windows XP and a smaller emachine running Windows 2000) the colorize feature works great.

I have had a few others mention this 'white' thing and can't replicate it.

there must be something in the graphics boards that is causing this. I can't find it!

... I'll head back into the programming cave now and figure this one out.

- Marc

7. eon

eon

Hey Marc. Thanks for the response. I supposed I could try this on one of my PCs and see if it works any better.

I did load up the program on one of my older Macs (a PowerMac 7300/200 that's been upgraded with a Sonnet G3/350 card running 10.2.8 as well) and got a completely different response. I was able to select the colors and they stuck when clicking "Done." However, when I tried to edit a gradient, the program crashed.

I guess I am next going to test this on my wife's eMac (the most recent machine in the house) and see how it works there. There's a PowerBook G4 in my future, but I was really trying to get a logo finished before then. We'll see...

Thanks!

-eon

8. py

py

Was this ever resolved?

I've been having this problem on my XP machine with version 5.0.

9. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Hi Pat!
    Nice to hear from you again - long time!

You're having this colorization issue with version 5.0??

the posts above are dated two years ago.

Anybody else reading this having issues like this?

And Pat - is the version 5.0 a straight 5.0? Or did you upgrade from version 3?

- Marc

10. py

py

colorization

Hi Marc,

I was away so that's why this late reply. I can't remember if I did an upgrade or a straight out install. I'll uninstall it and reinstall again. It's a nasty problem for me. Hope all is well with you.

Pat