Check this logo out

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator Gallery' started by xyu, Feb 25, 2004.

?

Do you like the logo?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. It kicks butt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. It freakin' sucks

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  1. xyu

xyu

I am a logo designer for half an year already. I'm looking for a job as such. This is a logo i made for fun. I'd like to hear some comments on it.

2. jamirae

jamirae

the colors are a bit dark for me, but I think it would make a very cool sticker for my teenager's skateboard! :)

3. jjack

jjack

That (skateboard sticker) is the first thing I thought of when I saw it. Not my style.... but teenagers would love it!!

4. xyu

xyu

Thanks for your replies, guys!
    Yes, I really wanted it to sound like a skateboard/surf company logo with somekind of vivid, tropical influence. This imaginary skate/surf company's customers are more likely tennagers and youngsters.
    You are rtight - the colours are too dark when your monitor's brightness is at minimum.

There is no such thing as "My Style" in logo design, I think. One should stick to the style of the company that ordered the logo. So actually "My Style" would mean "My Customer's" style. If the customers of the company are teenagers, then you'r style MUST be teenage style. This is actually the magic of logo design - you have to be really good at ALL possible styles cause you'll have to deal with ALL kinds of companies...

5. jjack

jjack

I meant not my personal style. Although, I think it looks great and I am sure that teenagers or young adults would be a very receptive target audience for it.
    You are right about being able to create logos, etc. for all possible styles. You have certainly done it here.

6. MammaJamma

MammaJamma

Okay, I'm confused XYU. You say you're a logo designer by trade yet you use a 'logo-in-a-box' product to create them? You're never going to get a job as such using these types of products. Pick up a pencil my friend!

7. xyu

xyu

I never said taht I use The Logo Creator or any other graphic software that relies on samples or stuff. I use Adobe Illustrator CS and Adobe Photoshop CS.
    My Wacom substitutes a pencil. It helps a lot in the world of logo creation.

8. jamirae

jamirae

xyu,

ignore MammaJamma .. he's just trying to stir up trouble here. The guy has some talent, but instead of offering helpful advice chooses to be rude and obnoxious.

9. RegalBeagle

RegalBeagle

My attempt here was not to be condescending but rather to motivate further thought into the design of this logo. A computer has inherant boundaries that constrict flow of thought and skill. A pencil does not (at least not to the same extreme).

As a student of design, you should first know that the pencil (or marker) shoud be your first tool - not a mouse. A wacom, although sometimes perceived as a replacement of the pencil, is not a good start for the conceptual stage. You should also know that PS effects, in most cases, are not acceptable in a professional logo for too many reasons to list here. Start out in black and white and work out from there. It may sound like I'm being harsh on you specifically, but it's only because you have mentioned that you are (or wish to be) a professional in the industry. Therefore, unless you go to school for design, you need to know these things from someone.

So, I say again, "pick up a pencil" and let it be your tool for the imagination.

10. RegalBeagle

RegalBeagle

Also, I feel the need to add that if you think my critiques were harsh, you may want to reconsider entry into the design field. Design critiques from art/creative directors can (and WILL be) VERY harsh. However, that is tame compared to what a client can (and WILL do) if they are not satisfied. Clients can be very brutal including, but not limited to, law suites...

11. chaka42

chaka42

beagle, i agree 100%. our field is not one for the weak. you have to be able to take what people give you. it doesn't matter whether you agree or not, that's just how it goes.

on the subject of the logo, a little on the greenish side don't you think?

also, tlc might be a cool program, but logos aren't supposed to be raster images. is that what the images are? it seems like they are.

12. jlp

jlp

Personaly I use a PDA and a paint program to draw sketches of logos I'm working on; a good, modern replacement for paper and pencil : O-Yeah:.

13. Hexastar

Hexastar

You Go Girl!

14. jlp

jlp

Nicole, who are you answering to/commenting about?

15. Hexastar

Hexastar

I was commenting to you, jlp regarding what you wrote about picking up a pencil.

16. LogoCreek

LogoCreek

xyu

this design looks a litte dark. have you tried changinf the colors or making it not so dark?

- Erik
    www.LogoCreek.com