Card Size

Discussion in 'The Business Card Creator version 4.0' started by Simon Stroud, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Simon Stroud

Simon Stroud

Hi All,

I am trying to create a business car that is 1040 x 685 (full bleed) with 1004 x 650 working area.

If I resize the canvas, I am then not able to use the red guidline and also am not able to use the print facility.

This means when laying out the design you have no idea if you are in the bleed area or not!

Any suggestions

2. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

Why would you use a non standard, nor proportionally sized canvas for a business card? Just use the 1260 x 735 size and you're good to go.

snginc likes this.
  3. Simon Stroud

Simon Stroud

If I could just use that size do you not think I would have? It's for a particular project that requires those custom sizes otherwise I guess it's safe to say I wouldn't have asked the question :-)

Anyway, I think it might not be fair to assume that 1260 x 735 is a universal custom size! It certainly wouldn't be if you wanted to upload the image to say Vista Print....................

Just my thoughts!

4. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

To give yourself a "bleed area" free zone do this:

USE THE LAYOUT GRID! To adjust the layout grid go to the FORMAT CANVAS option. bleed.JPG

Given the dimensions of 1040 x 685 set the grid size to 45--- That equals roughly 1/8", for your template size, assuming a printout resolution of 300 dpi, which is the standard bleed area used for most commercial printers.

When laying out your graphics and text just don't put anything into that 1 row of of layout grid squares along all edges of your template.

gunsmoke and snginc like this.
  5. stevenfw

stevenfw

This issue is important to me also. My clients need cards sized in mm not pixels - the standard being 55x90mm. How does this addon enable specific mm sizing to be supported?

6. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Hey Steven...try this.

Download the attached graphic. It is a frame that conforms ( I hope ) to the size you want and will let you use it as a template for your business card. The 'inside' dimensions are: Height 55mm or 207.9px Width 90mm or 340.2px

Put this graphic into a logo element folder and you'll always have it for when you need it. Just copy it to /My Documents/Laughingbird Documents/Logo Elements/yourfolder

Just open your canvas to a blank or new logo and drag that graphic in. As long as your graphics and text stay within the boundary then your card will look good. When you are finished, delete the red template and export your graphic as a png. When you go to Vistaprint ( the service recommended by Laughingbird ) then you can upload a complete graphic for print.

Now, you may want to call and talk to Vistaprint. I've used them and they are very good. But, if they print your design on a standard card then you'll have to trim the edges. They may have a card template for the size you require, I'm not sure. But I'd ask them. If they don't they might be able to make one.

You've got my interest up now though so post back later and let us know how it goes and if Vistaprint will be able to handle that size card. Never know when another user may require it.
    :guns:

Attached Files: