Cant install social template on Windows 10 laptop

Discussion in 'Installation issues' started by MichaelBlair, Sep 15, 2016.

1. MichaelBlair

MichaelBlair

I am getting access denied with the social template on my win 10 laptop. I have both permissions & ownership set for the users and subsequent folders and can even create the folder the install says it cant create. I have put in NUMEROUS contact requests and there is no response yet today. I have been at it for hours and just would like some help or feedback?

Is anyone here that has resolved this with windows machines?

2. KD-did

KD-did

A new release always seems to slow the process down. I don't have access to customer files so I will have to ask some questions. Do you have both parts on your machine? That is the 'engine' (v7.2.33) and the new Social Media edition?

I have it on my Win 10 machine without any issues.

3. MichaelBlair

MichaelBlair

I do have both parts and the creator 7 installed fine. I can create the folder that the template says it cant due to permissions. But my login has permission/ownership of ALL folders in the paath including users. It would help if I could SELECT the path but that doesnt occur.

4. KD-did

KD-did

Being an air-head at the moment.
    Are you trying to set up a file for templates to be stored in as we had to do with an earlier version?

I am not understanding why you aren't getting things to install just by clicking through the process.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  5. MichaelBlair

MichaelBlair

I am just trying to INSTALL the social template I purchased today. It will NOT install and keeps giving me the error on a print screen I will include with this post. All I can do is extract the zipfile and click the .exe install file after that its up to the software and that is where I am STUCK. It will NOT install. In my mind its broken.

Attached Files:

6. KD-did

KD-did

I wonder if it is an issue with you don't have the whole file. It is a quite sizable file. Turn of your anti-viral and any accelerators. Use something like 7zip to unpack it.I would go for a fresh download.

7. MichaelBlair

MichaelBlair

In fact let me show you something. This is a print screen of Explorer in the folder that the installer says it CANT create the folder and as you can see it's THERE. I manually created it and even being THERE and under my ownership it STILL gives the same error.

Attached Files:

8. MichaelBlair

MichaelBlair

Like I said...broken. I will re-download it and re-unzip it but I dont think that will have any impact.

9. KD-did

KD-did

Perhaps....the file is damaged and as long as you use it you will get the same message.

snginc likes this.
  10. KD-did

KD-did

You would be surprised....graphic files can run into problems because of anti-viral, file managers or accelerators. Or from the program used to unzip.

snginc likes this.
  11. MichaelBlair

MichaelBlair

I deleted the original zipfile & .exe file and then redownloaded the .zip file and attempted to install. It will NOT install. I even showed you I DO have OWNERSHIP of the folder and it still gives this error on the install. Its BROKEN for me.

12. MichaelBlair

MichaelBlair

Did you install with the SAME zipfile version as what is there now??

13. KD-did

KD-did

Yes. I have used 7 Zip (a free program) for years. I ran into issues with the built in zipping program.What are you using?

http://www.7-zip.org/

snginc likes this.
  14. MichaelBlair

MichaelBlair

I didnt mean the Zip utility I meant the install.exe file inside it. Did you install the social template with THAT SAME version of the software? I have 7-Zip 9.20 and I too have been using zip since it came out in the 90's.

Ok I have discovered that the .exe inside the zip is 132k but when extracted it comes out at 129k.

So, I OPENED it from the zipfile itself with the same outcome

15. KD-did

KD-did

But did you get a FRESH download?

snginc likes this.
  16. MichaelBlair

MichaelBlair

Yes and I even shut my computer down and came back to try it again. I had nothing up except explorer to get o the .exe and it is the same result. If the Folder (Social Media Pak Elements) is alreAdy there will that cause an issue?

17. KD-did

KD-did

It could only because it thinks that everything is there so it won't make an attempt to install the rest.

snginc likes this.
  18. KD-did

KD-did

Think about it.....when you change one of your templates ...it always returns to the first save state.It doesn't overwrite it automatically.

snginc likes this.
  19. MichaelBlair

MichaelBlair

There is NO template, it WONT install. Marc asked me about a couple of folders and only ONE of them is there.

20. KD-did

KD-did

I will bow out and let you and Marc sort this out.

snginc likes this.