Can't Access Templates

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator Updates' started by Doug DeMercurio, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Doug DeMercurio

Doug DeMercurio

Last couple of days I've been unable to access templates that show up in the "Graphic Templates" folder.
    This is the message I'm getting..." Unable to open. You probably selected a folder that is not a template folder"

Any suggestions?

2. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Hi Doug, I need a little more information.

First, are you on a PC or MAC? What version of TLC are you running? If on a PC, did you 'Run as Administrator'? Recently, what have you changed on your computer? ( anti-virus, windows update, installed new program ... ) Did you try re-booting your machine?

Reason I as is because I don't have a 'Graphic Templates' folder. Mine is called 'Logo Templates' and my working folder is simply called 'working'. Of course, you can name your working folder anything you want.

Let me know what's happening and if you have it figured out or not.

3. Doug DeMercurio

Doug DeMercurio

Okay,

I am on a PC. running Version 6.8.11.
    Not sure what you mean by "Run as Administrator"
    Recently added the Character Creator package.
    Have re-booted several times, but have not tried running anti-virus/mallware recently (I'll give that a shot.)

I guess I named my working folder "Graphic Templates"

4. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

On a PC when you select the start up icon for TLC, right click the icon and select 'Run as Administrator'. If this fixes your problem then right click the icon and select 'Properties' then 'Compatibility' then at the bottom check the box to run as administrator. That will make the setting permanent.

On your problem ... you run TLC. On the left is a menu titled 'Select a Template Set'. Under that you see 'Graphic Templates' correct? Then when you select 'Graphic Templates' that is when you get the error? Or is it when you select a template on the right that is located in that folder?

5. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

Occasionally, even this morning, I had the same thing happen to me. What did I do? I selected a different template with no issues. I then went back and was able to select the template in question with no issue.

I had a bunch of other programs running at the same time as well-- a graphic intensive game, photoshop running a batch file on a bunch of images, and a few other things like I was editing my website at the same time too.

Something you may want to consider doing: reboot into safe mode with networking. Your display may be a bit goofy, but it loads a minimal set of drivers ad you can start the program without anything else hogging your system resources. If it runs fine, then you know it's something running in the background.

Another thing which clears up goofy behavior: Navigating to your laughingbird documents folder and deleting all the thumbs.db files. It's automatically created by windows, and helps display icons and other silly things---- it's the windows version of the DS_STORE file that has given so many users problems.

You get a simliar error message when navigating inside the contents of a logo folder and clicking on the TLC file to open a template.

You get the same sorta error when trying to open up a version 5.2 logo in version 6.0 and above.

Something I've done a buncha times: I rename my "save folder" I named the first time I ran the program.
    When you do start TLC, and you will be prompted to name another location. That clears up "wonky behavior" in the folder that contains the logos I have created.

When attempting to open the logos, Are you clicking on the logo thumbnail in the directory, or selecting FILE / OPEN TEMPLATE?

If you are selecting "Graphic Templates", I asume those are the logos you have made, and the thumbnails appear, do you see the names you gave each logo? If not you will have to reset your save location....

OK. my ramble here is done.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    gunsmoke likes this.
  6. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Ramble on man! Good suggestions. I just go one step at a time. That way I know what fixes it. Maybe it's just me . . . :)

7. Gochoa3664

Gochoa3664

Had the same issue a few weeks ago..I didnt do anything different than hundreds of times b4. I could still navigate and SEE all the folders of previous creations but couldnt open then thru the app. I renamed the original default location and created a new 'location' via LogoCreator...then I copied all the folders from the original to the new. (Note: COPIED..I did not move). and Viola! It works now. weird burp. I am on a win7 64bit laptop. Could have been a MS update/patch recently that hosed or confused..but it works and always a devoted fan of LaugingBird! :)

gcuneo2 likes this.
  8. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

I put my money on one of 2 things ... the first being a .DS_Store file getting in your directory, the second being an MS update! Yup, those updates have caught me before. But also watch out for the .DS_Store files. They are used on MACs but 'sometimes' do funny things on a PC.

9. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

The ds_store file issue was supposed to be erased with the release of version 6.8. I know I can drop DS_STORE files at random in my laughingbird stuff, and the program starts to "hiccup"....

10. KD-did

KD-did

If I am not mistaken Character Creator was released before the V6.8+ update and probably held the DS_STORE file.:computer geek:

11. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

I've also installed stuff, random programs that contain various copies of the DS_STORE file. I go thru about once a month and search my entire computer for extra copies of it: I usually have about 10 or so each month I delete.

12. Gochoa3664

Gochoa3664

You are absolutely correct Gunsmoke! It all works now..and I have gone and cleaned up those .DS and Thumb.db files too. Thank you!!!!

13. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Glad it worked out! Let us know if you need anything more!!

14. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

Both files are created automatically. Both do the same thing. Lots of times the thumb.db file gets corrupted--- I just delete em, and windows makes new ones. The DS_STORE piggies back on lots of things: Typical programs you download, that were designed on a MAC. When I create my own installer files for the stuff I give away, I try to remember NOT to include the thumbs.db file that windows tags on when I make the installer file......

I also have had to unistall and block some updates-- I've definately had some issues with MS updates and The Logo Creator i nthe past.