CANNOT Open Saved Templates: Mac/ Apple FIX - Changing Folder Names

Discussion in 'Tips and tricks' started by Guy Monroe, May 15, 2014.

1. Guy Monroe

Guy Monroe

To successfully open a Laughing Bird file, The elements folder name must match the internal .tlc document name perfectly. When organizing templates, renaming is commonplace. Upon launching a folder Logo Creator copies external folder name and seeks matching .tlc document. Example: When you first saved the document you named it: "the happy bird 640x175" and perhaps saved it to your desktop. You finish your mods and decide to move to your docs folder.. When you do, noticed folder appears in a-z order “the”. You desire it to appear in the “b” a-z order. You change the name to: "happy bird 640x175". Problem solved on the outside, yet creating trouble for application.
    Your files are nice and orderly. However, you go to open file "happy bird 640x175" and get the dreaded “Cannot open file” message. My guess is, when you open any file, Logo Creator copies current folder name "happy bird 640x175", and compares it to existing internal .tlc doc called "the happy bird 640x175.tlc5". No match. Response: "This is NOT" or "HTTP error" or “CANNOT OPEN” message. SOLUTION: 1) Highlight and copy exactly current folder name every space and or dash "happy bird 640x175". 2) Open folder of same name. 3) locate "the happy bird 640x175.tlc5" inside. 4) Highlight name every space and or dash EXCEPT the .tlc ending. 5) Replace "the happy bird 640x175.tlc5" with "happy bird 640x175.tlc" External folder name now matches .tlc document name. Bring Logo creator to front, select open template, navigate to modified folder. it will open now. I hope helpful. Blessings…. :-)

2. tedrin

tedrin

I tried my best to work with this software 2 years ago and finally gave up after hours and hours of effort...Once you finally get something decent you place the Logo in your PC "documents"...I named a folder "Logo's" which housed all of my creations...Today for instance I wanted to use a Logo on a Facebook page and after clicking "upload Photo" from Facebook I click on the Logo I want and it breaks up into 3-4 parts per usual...All that effort to put the parts together and the damn thing breaks apart into separate files no matter what I do with it...This doesn't work for me...What kind of file should the Logo be converted into for facebook?..And how do you click on it so it doesn't break apart into separate image files like pieces of a puzzle?

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  3. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

file / export

4. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

you can choose png or jpg or swf format (if you have stuff moving around)

5. KD-did

KD-did

2 years ago...that would be the end of V5 TLC not the current V6.8

6. tedrin

tedrin

Well it seems like 2 years ago...lol.It updated to V6.8 whatever version it was.

7. tedrin

tedrin

I'll bet that most of you people are using a Mac...I'm OK uploading a file from my computer from another site like a Wordpress theme,like uploading pictures for a Photo gallery, or uploading a pro version of a Plugin,but trying to find the location of a landing spot for a Logo on facebook is quite a different animal to me.

File /export is a bit too cryptic for this newby...I need step by step.

Thanks

8. KD-did

KD-did

With TLC you export the file by name and type jpg.png or swf. Only TLC will open a .tlc template file.When you save you get multiple files for the template and when you export you get a single file.

9. KD-did

KD-did

work  directory files.jpg assembled template.jpg Justin.JPG work  directory files.jpg assembled template.jpg Justin.JPG The templates will show the parts that make it up in the "working files" work  directory files.jpg assembled template.jpg Justin.JPG

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  10. tedrin

tedrin

I think the most difficult thing about this software is not how to make a logo but rather how to place the logo on a blog or on a website.

It would be instructional to produce a step by step video from start to finish with no steps skipped...In other words start from step one in the logo creator and show how you place it in a Wordpress Website...I'm afraid you probably have to know CSS or coding to make it work...very advanced to me.

I just purchased a pro Gallery plugin software for my Wordpress site and they had countless full videos for every single function...You just stop the video and do what they do...That makes it less intimidating...I'm sure others feel the same and would buy more product if they were more confident.

I hate the Video's where they talk and there is no way to stop and start it...The bar on the bottom of the screen is purposely missing.

11. tedrin

tedrin

There is a guy online named Tyler Moore who teaches average people how to make a wordpress website,step by step with no steps missed...One of his videos had gotten well over 2 Million hits!

That is how I built my own website and now I've created a few more pages on my own using various plugins...If I could learn how to practically use the logo creator I'd use it to make my site even better.

The owner of this software could do exactly the same thing with the Logo Creator...Average people would love to learn this stuff if you dumbed it down.

here's his video:

12. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Ted, I think you are over thinking the problem here. You want Marc, the creator of TLC and several other very useful programs to show you how to add simple png and/or jpg's to your website and/or blog? What about everyone else? What about those that create web sites using CoffeeCup software, or Xara, or Serif, or WIX, or any of literally hundreds of other web creation programs? Not practical really.

TLC is a program ( utility ) for creating great looking pictures. As gcuneo2 said, after you create your graphic (logo or whatever) then simply export it as a png, jpg, or transparent png to your computer. That's it. You have your picture on your computer.

To upload and/or add that graphics to your blog or web site is your responsibility. The video that you posted above probably shows you how to do that. If not, there are many more on youtube that deal with adding graphics to wordpress sites. You don't need to know html/css or any coding. All you need to know is where on your computer you saved your graphic when you exported it from TLC. As a png or jpg it'll be just like any other graphic. It will not break into it's various parts. I think, as KD-did demonstrated above that you must be selecting the logo or graphics template and not the exported (saved) graphic.

Simply create the graphic you want in TLC. Then select 'File/Export Transparent PNG and select somewhere on your computer to save the graphic.
    [​IMG]
    This saves the graphic. There are many ways of adding it to various sites and Laughingbird (Marc) can't create videos to cover all the different ways that various software upload graphics. Watch your video, check out some other videos on youtube and you should find a way to add a jpg or png graphic to your wordpress site.

As an example of what can be done, here is a small personal website I made using CoffeeCup Software. It contains several graphics created with TLC. Gunsmoke
    You should be able to add graphics to your site as well.

I am on the road today and can't make a video for you. After researching this more on your own, if you still need more specific help, post back and let us know. I should have some time tomorrow or Monday and can help you out. I think once you figure this out you'll really start loving what you can do with TLC. It's a great program!

gcuneo2 and KD-did like this.
  13. gcuneo2

gcuneo2