1. New Software Notice alert!

The new Web Graphics Creator (version 4.0) will be out soon.

For now, version 3.0 is still active and works great on most Windows machines. It no longer runs on Macs using Lion or greater... (but the new version will fix this)

So hang in there! It's almost done!

Cannot get 'smooth' edges on boxes

Discussion in 'The eCover Creator' started by ScareCrow, Jan 28, 2006.

1. ScareCrow

ScareCrow

I have created my artwork in Photoshop and exported both as gif files and photoshop format. Easy enough to get into eCover Creator, but my box images keep coming out jagged. I've tried both with Anti-Aliasing on and off, but does not seem to do anything (assuming that Anti-Aliasing is only going to affect text, not the images. Any suggestions? I really like the ease of this software, but doesn't do me any good if the images of the boxes aren't realistic!

2. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Hi ScareCrow.

Welcome to the forum.

... can you show me the image you've created?
    See if you can attach it to a post here in the forum.

You can change the "Rendering" of a 3D box by right clicking (Mac users can also right click - or Option+Click). You'll see a pop up menu. Choose a different "rendering engine" - see if this does it for you.

What is your computer set up? Windows XP, '98.. Mac OSX?

Also, when you Export, you can actually type in a different extension to the file. For example, typing in '.jpeg' after the name will output a jpeg file (MyImage.jpg). Typing in .gif will give you a .gif image.

you can use: bmp, tif, gif, jpg and png.

Hope this helps a bit ScareCrow!
    Say hi to the Tin Man! :)

- Marc

3. ScareCrow

ScareCrow

Still not getting smooth edges

I tried with each of the rendering engines, exporting as .gif, .jpg, and.png. I've even tried resizing my artwork (created all in Photoshop). Is this the best it's going to get? Is there an ideal size and format to save from photoshop to work with eCover? Also, I'm using the Thin Book template as there does not seem to be one for DVDs.
    Any help would be appreaciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

4. D RAT2

D RAT2

Your photoshop images, what DPI are you exporting? High resolution and large images will have a jagged edge when you make them smaller in other programs.

5. ScareCrow

ScareCrow

I've tried exporting in a variety of formats (.png, .gif, .jpg), and sizes (even smaller so that they needed to be enlarged in eCover. Nothing seems to make any difference. I think the program just isn't going to work for me, unfortunately.

6. Jeri

Jeri

Hi Scarecrow,

Sorry you are having such difficulty.

It does take some practice to get the images to look how you want them to look.

Here is a tip.

Don't save your images as .jpgs until you are all finished. Only save the last version as a .jpg.

For example.

Design your art in photoshop or a graphic editor of your choice. Save this image as a .png.
    Then build your eCover. Import this .png into eCover Creator.
    Then save your finished eCover as a .tif. Hold the SHIFT key as you save as a .tif. (this will create a higher resolution image.)
    Open your finished eCover in your graphics editor. You can then resize it and use compression if posting to the web. You have more control over the finished eCover this way.

If you initially save your art as a .jpg and then resave it as a .jpg eCover you are loosing quality in your final design.

Here are the dimensions I use in PhotoImpact to create my eCovers.
    http://www.graymattergraphics.com/html/ecc_dimensions.html

Here is my gallery.
    http://www.graymattergraphics.com/html/ebook_gallery.html

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
    Jeri

7. KD-did

KD-did

Have you tried using a PSD exports for your project/s and then seeing if that makes a difference... in the various exports?