1. New Software Notice alert!

The new Web Graphics Creator (version 4.0) will be out soon.

For now, version 3.0 is still active and works great on most Windows machines. It no longer runs on Macs using Lion or greater... (but the new version will fix this)

So hang in there! It's almost done!

Button Creator - I don't get it

Discussion in 'Web Graphics Creator' started by d101, May 28, 2007.

1. d101

d101

I purchased Web Graphics creator and tried to use the button creator. I would like to create a set of buttons to use on my website. However, when a button is created it is exported as an swf file. When I double click on it, it opens in Text Edit (using an intel Mac) and shows a bunch of gobbledy-gook characters. When I try to drag the swf file into my web page I seem to get a placeholder icon.
    I can open the button by dragging it onto my browser (safari) but how can I get one or a series of buttons to work in my website so that I can use them to link to mulitple pages and build a navigation menu? Thanks.

2. Randy...

Randy... Guest

Within that swf file is everything you'll need to use in your navigation menu. It has the link and all the 'pretties' within the swf file. Not sure what website creator you are using, but to properly see these work, you usually have to publish them to the web. All you have to do is create each of your desired buttons with the proper link and place them where you want them to appear on your website.

3. Worlock

Worlock Guest

You are not associating the swf file with the proper program to open it correctly...thats why your getting the gobbly-goop in a text file...Thats what it is associating itself to.

4. Lamo1graphic

Lamo1graphic

direct the swf file to the web page if we knew which program you was using for your web page then we could assist you some more

5. Wicked

Wicked

this maybe..

d101 I this might be what you are looking for... In the examples below I am going to be referring to button #1,#2, and #3. These will represent for example that you want to use 3 buttons to create a menu on you're site.

So lets say that wanted to have you're website menu like this:

Button #1
    Button #2
    Button #3

First create you're swf buttons in the button maker and make sure to assign them a URL or link when making them. Then you would upload them to you're web hosting into a folder. So for this example lets say you uploaded you're swf buttons to

YourSite.com/buttons/(then swf files here)

So then if you wanted the buttons to appear on you're home index.html file for example then you would need to open up that file and look at all the code and figure out where you want to put them in the body section of the document. Once you find the place you want to put them this will be the code to make it happen using the button 1,2,3 example.

The areas you would need to edit are highlighted in red and green.. You would need to edit these areas in green to fit they way you want to buttons to look as far as size.. The areas in red would need edited to reflect where you have uploaded the buttons to you're web hosting or server.

The layout I have shown you above should display you're buttons as
    Button1
    Button2
    Button3

All stacked on top of one another to create a menu.

6. forjdm

forjdm

problem using button creator

I created several buttons and used the code supplied by Wicked in an html document which I posted to my site. Instead of buttons, I'm getting ugly blobs about the shape of the button, but no text and they don't link.

I'll try to use one of these ugly shape things on the signature, but I don't know any more about forum posting than I do about flash!

Anyway, I'd really appreciate help with the buttons.

Thanks-

7. Wicked

Wicked

make sure you edit the areas highlighted in red and green to reflect what is right for you in the code. You have to adjust the width and height portions of the code to get the button the size that you need it to be. The area in red on the code has to be edited to reflect where you have uploaded the .swf file you created. Perhaps you could leave a link to your site so i can see what is going on with it.

8. PhilE

PhilE

This doesn't cure the problem with the lack of link! I've just tried the button creator myself and have tried half a dozen different types of link. Nice animated graphic but no link when clicked on?

9. Wicked

Wicked

You create the link in the software before creating the button.. Its off to the left of the buttons where you can type in where the buttons link too.

10. PhilE

PhilE

Yep, done that, end up with a very nice SWF file that animates but goes nowhere. Thanks anyway Wicked.

11. Wicked

Wicked

can you create the button and upload it to your site and then give me the link so maybe I can see whats going on?

12. PhilE

PhilE

Now that’s just downright embarrassing! I’ve put it up on Systems Flip Book
    and it’s working fine. It’s just something local I’m doing. Fault between chair and keyboard somewhere. Thanks Wicked. Just need to get a working unlock code now and I’m away.

13. Wicked

Wicked

Cool Beans! Glad you got it figured out.. That keyboard can be tricky.. Its a bit tough too because when you type in the link for the button in the software you cant really see what you are typing because of the yellow font at least of PC users as I am not sure of MACS. Again glad you got it figured out and if you need any more help please don't hesitate to ask.. Dont be embarrassed to learn and grow.

14. PhilE

PhilE

Hmm, It would be forgivable if I hadn't been at this game for so long. I've been working with PC's since 1985. The problem occured because I'm so used to double clicking on my own swf files and they just open up in explorer and work. These buttons only work if you embed them in a web page and run the html. That's not a fault in the buttons, that's me getting slack. :0)

15. annjen

annjen

Will the buttons work in a PDF ebook?