Blank SWF's

Discussion in 'The Flash Ad Creator' started by andydahl, May 31, 2007.

1. andydahl

andydahl

Hello,

I have read through all of what is written on this topic. I still cannot figure out how to have my banner ads start automatically after they are uploaded. The banner shows as "loading" and never starts. If I right-click the banner and select "play" the ad begins, no problem. What am I doing wrong? How can I get the ads to begin automatically?

http://www.andydahl.net/My_Ad.swf for a sample of what is happening!

I'm using RapidWeaver for my sites, modifiying the code to accept the swf file, and then ftping the file and assets folder to my web host (1&1). And help will be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Andy
    andydahl@gmail.com
    Mac OS X

2. Randy...

Randy... Guest

HI Andy,

I think you have a setting with Rapidweaver that needs to tell it to play on load up. Take a look around and see if you can find something. That's what it sounds like to me.

But, great job getting it loaded up correctly. Now, we'll do our best to help you to get it to run right.

3. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Hi Andy!

Hang in there.
    We've hit a break through with this.

We are in the final stages of getting a true "stand alone" .swf output. NO more assets folder.

This should be ready in (roughly) 30 days from this posting.

IN the meantime, have you tried exporting the ads using one of the 2nd two methods? These methods allow you to upload the images to my personal server, and the ad (the .swf) will be saved to your desktop. You can then upload this ad wherever you wish ... and it will read in the images from my server.

Also, make sure you read this thread. grab the Scripts and Fonts links.

Hope this helps some!

- Marc

4. Randy...

Randy... Guest

Marc,

I don't see that he's having trouble with it except it won't play on upload. Looks like he has everything loaded and running correctly, it just won't kick off when the page is opened. A visitor has to actually right click and press play.

5. andydahl

andydahl

Thank you for your prompt reply.

No more asset files would be great, because in my case, I think this is the culprit to the problems that I am having. When I use a self-contained swf file, I have no problems what-so-ever.

Question: After I upload the asset file to your server (option #3), what code do I insert into my Index.html page? I understand (I think) that I upload the swf file, but how does it find the assets?

If you could clear this up, I would very much appreciate it.

BTW, I have uploaded the scripts and font to my server already!

Regards,

Andy

6. Randy...

Randy... Guest

Can you tell us if the ad that is currenlty showing is what supposed to be showing? And, the only issue you are having is the fact that it won't auto-start? Or, not even the ad that is showing is correct?

7. andydahl

andydahl

You guys are certainly fast! Thanks!

I have just reset my home page to show the ad: Home

The "only" problem with my code is that the ad doesn't play automatically. I don't have a customized banner ad, simply a generic one straight out of the FAC. If you right click and hit "play" the ad plays perfectly. Very strange behavior.

Thanks,

Andy

8. Randy...

Randy... Guest

That's what I thought you were saying. You can't find a setting in RW that tells the ad to auto start upon loading of the page?

9. andydahl

andydahl

Actually, this I am putting this ad in through manually coding, since RW doesn't really support this type of thing. I'm editing the Index.html file to insert the code:

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="My_Ad.swf" width="728" height="90">

<param name="movie" value="My_Ad.swf" />
    <param name="quality" value="high" />
    </object>

Then it's just a matter of uploading the swf and assets file to the root directory of my server. Perhaps the problem is with my code? That's why I was asking about what the code should be. Is there an "auto-start" param, or something similar?

Thanks again for your help. It's pretty frustrating to be this close..and yet so far away!

Regards,

Andy

10. Randy...

Randy... Guest

Here is the code that is listed on the FAC page here.

<body>
    <object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,29,0" width="290" height="340">
    <param name ="movie"value="MyFlashAd.swf">
    <param name="quality" value="high">
    <embed src="MyFlashAd.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="290 height="340"></embed>
    </object>

< /body>

11. Randy...

Randy... Guest

That stupid smiley comes from putting two characters together

: )

12. Randy...

Randy... Guest

Have you tried to google swf files and rapidweaver problems?

13. andydahl

andydahl

Thank you for your help. Here's the solution:

quality="high?autoplay=yes"

After I did this, it started immediately! Thanks so much for your help, and I can't wait for the new version without the dreaded assets folder!

Regards,

Andy

14. Randy...

Randy... Guest

Hey, I'm glad it worked!! I knew it had to be something easy.

Let us know when you have a new ad running. We would love to check it out.

15. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Ah!

Great catch!
    The auto-play code!

THIS I'll be putting up onto my FAQ page.
    Nice catch on this one.

- Marc