Bk Needs Help

Discussion in 'Hints and Tips' started by blackknight, Sep 20, 2007.

1. blackknight

blackknight

It has been sooo long since doing a website that I can't remember the size of a banner ad for a website in pixels. Is it pretty much a standard size or??? ALSO... Right now I have my resolution set to 200dpi; for the web, would it be better to set it at 72dpi or is 200 fine. Sorry if I sound like a dum- bass, but all of my work involves non web and calculations are done for real sizes in inches. For my old website and a few logos way back, I had to do this stuff but I forget how it goes as it must be a couple of years now since I did something for the web. Thank You if you can help.
    BK

2. blackknight

blackknight

Metalic Banner

I uploaded some banners from the site here that someone provided, (Bill I think) and they were in PNG and I wanted to use them in Corel but the PNG wouldn't work. After studying the shapes involved with a metalic diamond pattern, I simply made a square and tilted it so it stood on it's point. I sliced the square in half, did some highlight and fades to each half, joined them together and squashed it and made it smaller; then I did a repeat so I had one long line and then duplicated several lines, reversing every second line. Then I did a slight shadow on the shapes and then added a grey background panel to the background with a diagonal highlight to appear metalic and joined the whole thing together. What I came up with was a realistic looking piece of metal. I set the measurements at: 800px X 120px (not sure if that is the correct banner size as I am doing that by memory; which isn't good at times) I exported one to a jpeg and another to png and then another to a trans png. Let me know if this is useful to anyone. I thought this was a fun project to try to simulate.
    BK
    P.S. If you closely look at the enlarged file, first you will see each single line of "diamonds" and the next line down is exactly the same but reversed. Next you will note that each "Diamond has 2 halfs (different shading) You can tell that this was a regular box shape, squashed to appear "diamond like" and then I slanted the "new shape" before repeating it. Experiment a little and you will find yourself making some neat stuff. Actually, look closely at other patterns and you will find that they consist of simple shapes that you may have to "adjust" to replicate. Most things are just an illusion and actually creating this project wasn't even that difficult. It is just developing an eye for recognizing shapes and patterns.

Attached Files:

3. wacki56

wacki56 Super Mod

....Hey BK! 468x60 is a standard size banner. Also.....nice work on the steel plate banner's.

Bill