Better quality for logo?

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself!' started by ldenny, Apr 4, 2008.

1. ldenny

ldenny

Hello everyone. I am a new user of the Logo Creator software, and have created a logo we would like to use for our small business. I exported the file to a .jpg format and sent it to a company to make a door sign and car door magnets. They have asked me if I can send a better quality file for the logo.

I do not have experience with graphics software so am rather lost on what to do. Can anyone provide a suggestion, in detail so I can follow it, on how I can create a better quality logo file? Many thanks!!!

2. cybrnetico

cybrnetico Staff Member

what is your exported size of your jpg logo? Did the sign company give you a minimum size requirement?

3. Doc

Doc Staff Member

Hi welcome to the forum. The reason your logo quality is not good enough for the car magnetic logos is that the company making the signs would have to increase the size of the logo you supplied.

When raster graphics (also called bitmaps) are saved the information is stored as colored dots (pixels), so increasing the size of the logo effectively increases the pixel size making them look 'blocky' with jagged lines.

Fortunately for us there is a second way of saving graphics which is called vector graphics, where the data is stored as a set of instructions which (simplifying it) are 'draw a line 3 units long at an angle of 217 degrees and color it red' Having the data stored in this way means that the image can be increased or decreased in size without losing any quality.

To demonstrate see the pics below
    1. One raster one vector actual size
    2. Raster of corner of car zoomed in 5000%
    3. Vector of car zoomed in 5000%

So the answer to your problem is to get the logo converted into a vector graphic. Hope this helps , and that I have not bored you with too much technical babble :)

Attached Files:

4. MasterDesign

MasterDesign

wow MDsign™

Maybe the best description of the difference between bitmap and vector graphics to a "novice" i've read....ever! and definitely the solution to Idenny's problem!
    I'm just going to link to Doc's post whenever someone has one of these "Quality of logo" questions now.

MD

5. baronetta

baronetta

The next logical question is how does one "get the logo converted into a vector graphic" ?

It's nice to have an explanation of the problem, but where do we find the solution?

6. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Hi baronetta.
    Welcome to the forum.

I've worked with a company in the past: http://www.logo2vector.com
    they do great work. Check out the explanation of what a vector logo looks like here.http://www.logo2vector.com/examples.html

You might also ask a few members in the forum.
    I know a few of them do the conversion as well.

Hope this helps some!
    Nice to hear from another Mac user :D

Marc

7. Lamo1graphic

Lamo1graphic

Inkscape
    is an open source vector graphics editor that is compatible with Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. Inkscape imports and works with many common graphics formats including JPEG, PNG and TIFF. Inkscape can export images as PNG and other vector-based graphics formats. If you use Inkscape with GIMP, the open source graphics editor, you can get the same capabilities found in their high-priced counterparts.

Inkscape uses the W3C standard Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) file format. Supported SVG features include shapes, paths, text, markers, clones, alpha blending, transforms, gradients, patterns and grouping. Inkscape also supports Creative Commons meta-data, node editing, layers, complex path operations, bitmap tracing, text-on-path, flowed text, direct XML editing and more.
    AND THE BEST NEWS ABOUT INKSCAPE IS ITS FREE
    http://www.inkscape.org/

i hope this assists you:image28:

8. baronetta

baronetta

Thanks for the replies, LaughingBird and Lamo1graphic.

I didn't have a specific need at the moment, but I appreciate adding to my arsenal of tools and knowledge.

Thanks!

9. cybrnetico

cybrnetico Staff Member

One more thing regarding Inkscape. It does come with a plug-in called 'Potrace' where you can convert a raster image to vector. It takes time to get a good result, but Like Lamo says its 'Free' :D

enjoy!

10. ldenny

ldenny

Your responses are terrific, and I thank you all very much. I am going to check to see about changing it into vector. I am also asking the vendor what size they need so I can save a larger size file and the vendor won't need to blow it up.

11. cybrnetico

cybrnetico Staff Member

ldenny , post your logo. It be nice to see what you came up with for your business :)