Assets from previous editions of TLC

Discussion in 'General Support' started by OldenGray, May 30, 2014.

1. OldenGray

OldenGray

Over the years, I've accumulated a lot of design elements (both TLC and original) and stored them in a folder called "Laughingbird Documents." My question is that since version 6.8 uses files with the .db extension, how can I get v6.8 to recognize these files (graphic elements)? Do I need to create a database file (*.db) and, if so, what program should I use to do this? I hate to give up all the great creative stuff I have on hand. Is this a stupid question or is there an easy way to handle this that I am not aware of? I'll probably say "DUH" when I get your reply.

2. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Simply create a folder ( named whatever you want ) in the /Laughingbird Documents/Logo Elements/ folder. You can put any PNG format graphic in that folder and it will appear in the menu at the top of TLC. If you want to categorize your graphics then simply create multiple folders and place the associated graphics in them. Works great.

OldenGray and KD-did like this.
  3. KD-did

KD-did

Easiest to simply rename the file "Graphic Elements" ( or other designate )and move them to the Logo Elements" file ....they will then appear in the drop down menu.

OldenGray likes this.
  4. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

The *.DB files are not simple database files, like an excel spreadsheet, the db file associated with the laughingbird family of software is unique to laughingbird stuff, and the expensive program used to make the basic program.

OldenGray likes this.
  5. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

just copy and paste all your old element files into the logo elements folder. Some of the (Shapes for example) contain different elements than the present iteration. I make alot of custom libraries and folders, and use all the elements from version 5.0, and some 4.0 stuff as well....

All of my logos files, and element files take up about 5GB (!) of data!

I've created a 2 page pdf file that explains how to create your own custom libraries...

http://www.laughingbirdsoftware.com...0-creating-custom-libraries-of-pictures.9962/

Below you can see how full the basic element folder can get.... and all of these show up in my pull down menus. gp.JPG

OldenGray likes this.
  6. OldenGray

OldenGray

Thanks for the assistance. It's going to take awhile, but I'm glad to know that years of work will not be wasted.

7. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

:gunsmoke:Whew! You're right there!
    I'm glad it's going to work out for you.
    Let us know how it goes and if you need any more help. Good luck!

8. OldenGray

OldenGray

That worked well. Could not believe it went so smoothly. Got everything back where it should be....with two exceptions. It seems the Mascots Regular and the Mascots Sticky weren't recognized although the file name appeared in my long list (kinda like yours). Just NADA. If you can think of a reason, that would be great. Again, thanks for all the help.

9. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

If you're not on a MAC, delete any file that ends with a .DS and see if it helps. Other than that, you might try creating a new folder and move those images to it. See if they show. Don't know why they would, but something to try . . .I'll keep thinking. Maybe someone else has a clue . . .:hummmmm:

10. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

Your file structure should look like this... mascots234.JPG

11. OldenGray

OldenGray

I renamed the file folders MASCOTS REGULAR and MASCOTS STICKY and deleted the .DS folders in each instance. I know this will be hard to believe, but that did the trick, so a tip of the old hat to you, sir. I have no earthly idea why those folders would be interfering with the download of the images, but apparently, they were. Someone with way more know-how on the inner machinations of computers would have to look into this. But, suffice it to say, that little tweak worked. So now, I am almost completely reloaded and ready to go forth into the world of logo design once again.

12. KD-did

KD-did

DS_STORE is a MAC type file that PC doesn't understand.

13. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

And there's your person with 'way more know-how on the inner machinations of computers'! :big laugh:

Glad you got it working. Glad I can remember at least a little of what KD-did posts! Thanks KD-did!