Application Error with XP

Discussion in 'Raves and Rants' started by Thierry, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Thierry

Thierry

Sorry for this newbee question, I've searched through the previous postings but couldn't a similar issue.

I've downloaded the demo version 3.5 from your site and I've installed it. When I start "The Logo Creator", it hands right at the beginning, the "loading" screen is displayed and the the icon in the task bar shows "application error".

I'm running XP Pro, I've tried on 2 different PCs -> same results.

Many thanks for your help.

2. Lats

Lats Staff Member

Welcome to the forums Thierry.

Sorry to hear of the problems you're having - how much memory do you have installed, and what other applications do you have running?

3. Thierry

Thierry

Hello Lats

I've 512 MB RAM installed, other applications running are anti-virus Norton and ZoneAlarm (firewall).

I've switched them off but same error message has still occurred

4. Lats

Lats Staff Member

I'm wondering if you had Norton turned on when you performed the install of TLC. I've heard/read of several problems of software acting up when installed with Norton running at the same.

If that was the case, it may be best to uninstall TLC, turn off Norton and try a re-install.

5. Thierry

Thierry

I had actually Norton turned on. I've performed what you suggested (ie unistall TLC, turn off Norton, install TLC).

This time, I've really switched off everything possible, but unfortunately same problem occured again.

6. Lats

Lats Staff Member

Bummer :(

Someone recently suggested a few problems were fixed by upgrading to the latest version of flash player.

Running out of ideas here, so that may well be worth a try.

7. Thierry

Thierry

Sorry , I've checked and I have the latest version of flashplayer installed.

Would you know if previous versions such as 3.0 would available ?

8. Lats

Lats Staff Member

I don't believe any of the old versions are available.

Another thought: Try another download of the demo, but this time have Norton turned off. (and re-install with it off too).

9. Thierry

Thierry

Nope

Doesn't work either, sorry.

10. Lats

Lats Staff Member

This is certainly strange. :confused:

I have a very similar set-up as yourself and don't have any problems with it - can you think of anything you may have installed that could considered 'non-mainstream' ?

11. KD-did

KD-did

Thierry, is it an e-machine?

12. Thierry

Thierry

I've reviewed the active processes but so far nothing unsual.
    What surprised me is that the same problem occur on 2 different machines (I've got a network with 2 PCs).

Would you have an idea of what part of the programm would answer "application error" at the very start of the programm ? The small window "Loading ..." appears, than just after that the icon in the taskbar displays "application error". So there must be a part of the programm which cannot be loaded or executed, I guess.

I thank for your help anyway. It's becoming late on this side of the earth, I may follow-up on this topic tomorrow. Thank you,

Thierry

13. Thierry

Thierry

Re: dumpcable.com

It's a Dell Dimension 8250 Pentium IV 2.4 GHz, 512 MB RAM, with XP Pro service pack 1 and regularly updated

14. LogoManiac

LogoManiac

15. Thierry

Thierry

Exactly the same issue with version 3.0 ! Same error message.

Thank you LogoManiac for the link, I should have thought about Google ...

16. Thierry

Thierry

Eventually I've found out !!!

:banana

Dear all,

Thank you for your answers. I've eventually found out by chance what was actually the source of the issue.

I've UNINSTALLED Norton-antivirus 2002 and I've installed another one (Kapersky), re-installed "The logo creator v3.5" and since then it works !

NB: If you stop NAV or even remove it from the programs which load at start-up it will not help; you need actually to uninstall NAV

Regards

17. Lats

Lats Staff Member

Thanks for the update Thierry.

18. Majestik

Majestik

Ya know, I think that this is the exact problem that I had. I downloaded the trial version to try out. Never worked, got the same error. I read this after a whole year of emailing the creators with no reply, uninstalled all of Norton, reinstalled LC, and viola, it works!! You would think the creators of LC would work on a major problem like this. Norton is a pretty popular program to use for anti-virus and utilities. It's a shame that they overlook this problem, then never try to work with anyone to fix it. I am wondering just how many people have tried this product, but couldn't because there is no warning, no notification, no reply.... nothing!! Seems to me there lack of consideration is costing them an unforeseen amount of customers and purchases. But that is just my .02.

Majestik

19. KD-did

KD-did

With all due respect Majestik, I think you are misplacing the blame. The problems you had/have were the fault of Norton's and not TLC. IF TLC works perfectly when Norton is uninstalled how can you expect TLC to address that problem? There is no way to program around all applications and all versions of applications..

Ask yourself; if every program developer had the knowledge to get around the problems caused by Nortons what good would Nortons be. How secure would it be?

I can tell you from my own experience Nortons/McAfees and graphic programs in general is not a match made in heaven.

20. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Katie!
    Thanks for the post. :)

It's true - there is just no way to configure ANY software to be compatible with all systems. Windows.... Mac... French versions of the OS... does the user have Office 2000 in the background? (A resource hog)... does the user have the FRENCH version of Office 2000? ...does the user have Norton?... does the user have a certain graphics card that is mismatched with the OS? Does the user have Norton 2000 but is using it with Windows XP? Or worse yet... Windows '98? OR Windows '98 Edition A with service pack 1?!

yeesh!

If I thought about it all, I'd probably go crazy trying to correct it all.

I was racking my brain with the solution to this font problem and could never get the answer!

So I DO owe Thierry and Majestik one. If it wasn't for their post, I wouldn't have discovered that it was Norton peeking around the tree - throwing apples into the engine and breaking it. Most users have never experienced this crazy font issue.

However, Majestik... I do apologize if it seems that I missed your question for over a year! Ouch! What a wait!

I must say in my defence that I get close to 500 + letters a day. I sometimes miss coming into the forum as well to reply. I'm not doing it on purpose! I just can't get to it all :0

I'll take your comments Majestik and put them into my FAQ for others to read.

Katie (dumpcable), I'll put your comments into my FAQ as well.

:57: Marc