All TLC designed header, but will it work?

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator Gallery' started by Flotsom, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Flotsom

Flotsom

Well this is certainly the most involved work I've done with TLC. My wife and I had a business making note cards, and we used this name for our business. Sadly nobody was much impressed with the cards :(, or at least they didn't but enough of them to keep going, but I really liked the name, so we kept it.

Now I'm thinking I'd like to use it as a header for Web page, but 1) I don't know how to build a website, and 2) I don't know if it would work. However I like the design as much as the name, and wanted to show it off somewhere. :spaz:

Comments? Suggestions?
    EDIT: Re-loaded the full 1/4 .jpg, but it looks the same to me, so I added a .gif which looks a little bigger when I click on it. Tried a .png, but it was too big to load. I'll try again when I get back, and increase dpi to see if that will let the png in. :)

2. Shelly

Shelly

sorry its not showing on my Browser.

3. Flotsom

Flotsom

That's disappointing! :(

Is there no attachment at all? Right below "comments? Suggestions?"

edit: Just checked again to be sure ... I can see it, but now I wonder if I'm the only one? I'm on a Mac using Safari, and the attachment is .jpg hmmmm :confused:

4. Lats

Lats Staff Member

The thumbnail is fine however, the full image is not viewable (IE6 XP). Try reuploading.

5. denhom

denhom

Flot, the second of the two is viewable on a Win2K machine using Firefox. Looks pretty good.

6. Flotsom

Flotsom

Thanks denhom! PNG is still too large, and the PNG transparent too :(. I'll be back in an hour, and figure out how to "shrink" it a bit to fit. :) I'm glad the gif is viewable, but it looks washed out to me, so I'd like to put something more vibrant up.

Thanks Lats for the heads up on the original problem.

7. Flotsom

Flotsom

Hmmmm :confused:

Someparts of TLC I feel completely comfortable with, but then I run into something like this, and I feel like an idiot! :bonk:

I've tried using different export options and adjusting pixel width and height as a transparent png, still comes up 160.5 KB (too big); tried to reset canvas size in the MODIFY menu, but it doesn't take; I've tried dragging the canvas to a smaller size, but all I'm changing is the window not the canvas. I'm stumped. Would I be correct in surmising that there is no way to shrink it so that I can upload it in PNG format? Or am I just too dim to figure it out? :)

8. Shelly

Shelly

I can see the second one now, looks great ! was it your intention to have the bottom half blured in that way or was it a upload problem ?

9. Flotsom

Flotsom

Thanks! Yes, it was intentional. I got that idea from the tutorial forum as a way to make a place for links. Of course, since there is no page or website, I didn't include any links :D, but only left the bar for later. I really hope to get an html editor and learn to do that stuff. I have a sort of mickey mouse site, using .mac's templates, that has some pictures, early attempts at logos with TLC, and a link to TLC's homepage, but it's extremely limited in what I can do. There is a way to link to an off site page, but ... no place to go yet.:)
    <a href=http://homepage.mac.com/pousseau/Menu7.html>Pousseau's Place</a>

10. Gravy

Gravy

11. Flotsom

Flotsom

Resizing file program

Hi Gravy!

Thanks for the thought! :;yessir: My bad for not saying so in my post, but I'm on a Mac PowerBook with OS X, so unless MicroSoft offers a version for macs, I'm kinda outta luck on that one. I'll go to the site and check it out though.:)

12. denhom

denhom

13. cybrnetico

cybrnetico Staff Member

M$

now now Denhom, be nice to Uncle Billy G. :rolleyes:

14. Gravy

Gravy

Well it works and Flot seemed to be scratching his head on the resize thing. And I did'nt want anyone to feel they were being railroaded into installing spyware or something worse. I've been using it for a couple of years now.

15. Flotsom

Flotsom

Flot was definitely scratching his head on the resize thing! :lol: And although MS won't work on my Mac (without installing Virtual PC, and that's not gonna happen!:)) it reminded me of a photoshop style program that I have loaded that might do the job.

I think since I'm having such a good time doing this stuff, and I really would like to venture into hosting a webpage and doing html editing, etc., that I should consider cutting loose with a couple of bucks and buying some serious software programs to do it with.

There are several that have been suggested to me that are compatible with Mac OS X, and I've been dragging my feet because there is sooo much about that I don't know how to do yet. I also need to learn AppleScript so that I can write some step savers for the stuff that I am doing, and I have a hunch that would also solve a lot of the little hiccups that mac users are occasionally running into with TLC.

Thanks again for all the help, and never hesitate to offer me programs, suggestions, or corrections anywhere and everywhere you see a need to, or maybe just feel inclined to. :;yessir:

16. denhom

denhom

Alternatives and Thoughts

Awww, shucks, Uncle Billy can handle a jab or two. Uncle Stevie J, on the other hand, would sue my pants off!

Hey, Flotsam, check out GraphicConverter as a low-end Photoshop alternative. It's quite powerful, in its own way, anf very reasonably priced.

And I wonder if we shouldn't start a new thread or two for suggestions on web design software. I'm in a similar boat, trying to decide what to use, considering I also have never done anything like that before. And should I buy a canned template and work from that, or should I do everything from scratch?

Pondering, pondering...

17. Flotsom

Flotsom

Hi Denhom!

Thanks for the Graphic Converter suggestion ... I'll check it out.

A thread on web design software might work, if we could confine it to programs that would work in conjunction with TLC's web capabilities. The danger would be in getting into discussions that are really unrelated to TLC which should remain the focus of any threads in this Forum. :)

As to a canned template, personally I would lean toward whatever kind of software that would allow you relatively complete freedom in your design. If it had a couple of templates that came with it to help you get started, I wouldn't mind that, but I've already worked within .mac's template, and it didn't really teach me anything. If you'd like to see a sample of .mac's template, go to <a href=http://homepage.mac.com/pousseau/Menu7.html>Pousseau's Place</a>. I used a 'push pin' format for the pictures, a 'newsletter' format in Myopia, and more 'push pin' photos behind the "Family safe" (which was my first TLC "logo" ... the safe). :)

-Flot

Edit: just checked the link I provided up above, and there's a problem with the 'safe' :confused: , but everything else is functional. :)

18. denhom

denhom

I agree fully: any web design discussion MUST be tied to using TLC in its development. What do the mods think?

19. cybrnetico

cybrnetico Staff Member

as long as the mods leave a sticky what they rules are for starting a web design thread, everything should be fine. beer

20. Lats

Lats Staff Member

Web design and development is a good thing :)