All sort of issues ... please help

Discussion in 'General Support' started by Rhonda Holscher, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Rhonda Holscher

Rhonda Holscher

1) It's gone all buggy on me and I'm hoping you can help me figure it out.

• images I created are not showing up when open the program
    • when I click on the image I want to open it opens the image next to it
    • save a version and templates are not working
    Can you remote into my PC and just look at it? I'm sure you'll be able to find and fix the issue much fast than I ever would be able to.

2) Also, where I can get the latest installation to install on my laptop too and can I access all of my files I've created on my desktop on my laptop as well? How would I go about doing that?

Thanks!
    Rhonda

2. snginc

snginc

where I can get the latest installation to install on my laptop

You should be available your tlc downloads here http://laughingbirdsoftware.com/members/ if there is something missing from your account submit a help desk ticket and make sure you included your purchase information.

can I access all of my files I've created on my desktop on my laptop as well

If you mean your saved files (.tlc) you will need to have saved them in a place that both your laptop and desktop can both access..such as an external hard drive or something like dropbox or amazon s3.

NOTE: Marc can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you are only licensed to use the software on 1 system only.

3. Rhonda Holscher

Rhonda Holscher

Hi thanks for responding to my second question. I do have the files in dropbox, however; when I try to open in TLC I cannot. I am using an older version of TLC on my laptop than on my desktop and am hoping that is the issue so I will upgrade first and see if that resolves that issue.

4. KD-did

KD-did

Rhonda, one thing that can cause the count being off is ...it says it is a Png file instead of png file. Case sensitive.

Did you move or change a file name? You are still using V5???...I still have it on my machine. and have V6.8.11 too. Both running.

5. KD-did

KD-did

BTW the V6.8.X can not use V5 templates.

6. Rhonda Holscher

Rhonda Holscher

Ok, I suspected it was something like that and have looked and looked and looked and looked. Something that I did find that I didn't realize was happening is that when people make their zip files they were putting their pdf's or txt files for license terms in there and I think I removed them all, but it's still being all skittesh. I have been adding files from Lance and Glenn. Can you tell me exactly the files that should be in each folder and the file types so that I know exactly what is supposed to be in there. -Thanks! Rhonda

7. Rhonda Holscher

Rhonda Holscher

Which is what I was thinking and why I asked for the link to the software so I an update the my laptop as well. Thanks! I'll give that a try on the laptop.

8. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

I'm probably the guilty party! Yep, I include a 'license' file in the .zip

Have to these days, just so everyone is clear about what they can and cannot do. I know most of us understand, but it's become obvious that not everyone plays by the same rules.

When you download a .zip from SadDuck, it will contain a license file in .pdf format. Move it to your document directory, or if you already have a copy then you can just delete it. The same file is included with every .zip

DO NOT leave it in the directory with your graphics in TLC. It may ( will ) cause issues. ( Sorry for not being clear earlier! )

9. Rhonda Holscher

Rhonda Holscher

LOL ... simple solution to that. Create a your folder "MainFolder" put "pdf" in that folder and create another "ImageFolder" inside the "MainFolder" this way when you zip the main folder the pdf file is not zipped into the "ImageFolder" and when they unzip it likewise. So they can move the entire "ImageFolder" without worry of the license being in that folder.

10. Rhonda Holscher

Rhonda Holscher

Ok, so I'm still not there yet. I know it's been a while, but I've been extremely busy. So I've been up all night trying to figure it out. I found some very interesting things in my files thus far:

1. .pdf's that people have installed as licenses to their images - recommend to them to put the license in a separate folder or something - not the actual image file - I removed ALL of them
    2. .jpg's I removed ALL of them from the Logo Elements
    3. 1 file actually missing from inside TLC that is in the file system, .tlc file missing - WHERE DID IT GO - I'm really scratching my head on this one because it's not even in my recycle bin and if I had accidentally deleted it'd be there. I've searched through all my other folders, did a comprehensive PC search. It's no where to be found. Any ideas? Is all hope lost? (see attachment - Halloween1-missingTLCfile.pdf)
    4. Another file in TLC keeps saying it's not a template. Somehow the folder put itself in another folder with the same name. "HolidayPromo1>HolidayPromo1>then the other files" the other files were accurate so I tried to move the folder outside of it and it went all wonky. I ended up deleting that. How did a another folder get created for that? I DID NOT do that. This has happened before and again I've deleted the file because I need TLC to work and don't have time to deal files that don't work, but I don't want to keep losing files because of stuff like this. Please advise on a solution to this.
    5. Something else. I thought a lot of files were missing from inside TLC but realized it's because they are not in order. Is there anyway you can make them in numerical and then alphabetical order just like the file explorer/windows files system.
    6. Then there's a few like the attachment (ConfOffer-WhyAllTheDiffImages) I have created these images as separate files and yet they are all in one file as well. Only one image shows up when open TLC. Is it safe to delete the images I don't want or do I just ignore them? Are they hurting anything?
    7. Then there are 2 images I tried to create to join in on the recent Facebook Cornucopia challenge, but both times the files caused TLC to freeze up after I got to a certain point and the images began to disappear from the image I was creating in TLC. Now, when I open them only some of the images show up. I think the files are too large. I used the business card creator to try to create them because I wanted to see how the larger image would work. Could that be the problem or could the problem be the images themselves or perhaps a combination of the two? I tried to upload the file here, but it's too large.
    8. For Dropbox users and I found this in several files - dropbox likes to create conflicted copies. I'm not entirely sure why it's doing this, but my working theory is that I must've had the system files open at the same time I had TLC open editing or creating images. Especially, since I've been trying to troubleshoot why I've been having all these issues. I removed the conflicting files as I wasn't sure if they would interfere with the program or not, but it's my theory they will as it's creating duplicate copies of any file type including the .tlc files, etc.
    TLC appears to be working for the moment but I need to get in there and try to actually create or edit something, and I'd like some feedback and if there is hope to recover my image I'd love to know how.

Attached Files:

11. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Okay Rhonda, one step at a time ...

The issue with pdf files, or any file that is not a png - you can and should MOVE ( not delete in case you want it later) these files to another directory. Just create a junk dir and move them there. I am not putting pdf files in my zips any more. I am putting a png of the license agreement. It has to be there. What you do with it once you get it, is up to you. Move it, delete it, whatever. The only files that need be in you logo libraries, are png files.

Do not put jpg files in your logo libraries. Put them in another folder and use the 'File/Import' option to add them to logos you are working on.

DO NOT do anything with the .tlc file! Very important. Nothing good ever comes from this. This file is created and used by TLC. You should not have to look at it, move it, or do anything to modify it! Ever!

How files appear on your computer ( sort order ) is up to you. The program itself doesn't do anything to this. ( As far as I know ) Mine are in the same order ( alphabetical ) as all other files on my computer (PC, not Mac).

AS far as files duplicating themselves, and/or vanishing. I have no idea.

Not sure about this, but are you accessing saved files on Dropbox? Or, what was that you were saying about a Dropbox?

12. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

I think you are "looking into the program" way too much, just leave it alone, let it do its thing and you will be ok.

1. The pdfs, typically "how to use this" is never included in the image file directories: the big problem is the vast majority of users simply do not even notice them, and don't even look at them.

3. Stop worrying about the TLC file- start pretending it does not exist-- it's sole purpose is to tell TLC how to put all the parts of a logo together, and to contain any text you add to a logo.

4. Not even related to the program, that's a 100% user caused error

5. They already are, however you sort your views is up to you.

6. Those are individual exported images, again, if they are all in "1 file" that's a 100% user created problem.

7. It takes an image over 30MB for the program to get wonky, at least on my computer--My largest single logo has been a bit over 100MB, the program still worked, but slowly-- that was a year or two ago.... with 99.99% certainty the issue is with the images.

8. Dropbox: If you are trying to directly open templates from dropbox, stop. Just stop. Download em to your loacal hard drive, even a thumb drive, just don't try to open them directly from your drop box.

"Especially, since I've been trying to troubleshoot why I've been having all these issues." Stop "digging into" the program and it looks like over 90% of your concerns go away.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  13. Rhonda Holscher

Rhonda Holscher

For the pdf issue - I was just reiterating the issue that I had, and yes today I noticed you did change the file format for your license. I do not technically delete any files by the way I just put them in a different folder.

I don't put jpg's in there anymore, and I'm fairly certain I have removed them ALL.

I DO NOT TOUCH .tlc file and this is what I'm saying. It disappeared. I NEVER edited this file in File Explorer ONLY edited in TLC the actual graphic. But today the image was missing from TLC completely. So I went into File Explorer TLC files and opened it and noticed right away the .tlc file was missing.

File order - what I'm saying here is the files in TLC's editor are not in order.

Vanishing files - me either ... :(

Dropbox - when I first started using TLC I read somewhere it's a good idea to use Dropbox to save my stuff to and I have been doing that ever since. Even when I updated it automatically continued to save my stuff there. So when I create or edit an image in TLC's editor it's accessing Dropbox to save it to or retrieve it from. I don't know how to move it safely if that's what I need to do.

14. KD-did

KD-did

Are you looking at the "Work File"...for the duplicating and disappearing files... that file only shows the file last being worked on.

15. Rhonda Holscher

Rhonda Holscher

Glenn, I've only been looking at the program so much because it was causing me grief (crashing, opening the wrong images when I click on the right images, etc.). I had already talked to several people about it and came back here to post an update and ask a few more questions.

1. There were pdf's at one time included one users image files, but they are no longer doing that. However, I did not realize that was happening and put the entire file into my TLC files. I have corrected that on my end and the user has also corrected on their end by making their license a .png file now.

3. I don't normally worry about it, but when it goes missing or starts creating dupes for whatever reason I want to know why and how to fix it. I didn't even pay attention to it before until I noticed this happening which was brought to my attention by images missing in TLC's editor. So I opened the image file in file explorer and noticed the .tlc file is missing.

4. I did not create two folders with the same name and put one inside of the other. I created the image in TLC's editor and never touched it again until I started trying to figure out what was wrong with my program. That's when I figured out the image files had two folders.

5. No I don't get to choose I how sort the views in the TLC editor, or at least I don't know how to. That's what I'm what referring to. Not my PC file system

6. I don't know maybe, so my question was is it safe to remove the images that should be there and it won't harm the one that should?

8. Dropbox - when I first started using TLC I read somewhere it's a good idea to use Dropbox to save my stuff to and I have been doing that ever since. Even when I updated it automatically continued to save my stuff there. So when I create or edit an image in TLC's editor it's accessing Dropbox to save it to or retrieve it from. I don't know how to move it safely if that's what I need to do.

16. Rhonda Holscher

Rhonda Holscher

No. I know what that file is. I now am very familiar with the file system. I never intended to come to know it so well. LOL! I just wanted to fix it. :) I love TLC! It was just being wonky and I seem to have it working for the moment, but I did want to get some clarity on stuff now that I've gotten into it.

17. KD-did

KD-did

Have you considered that you might be stretching your machines resources...too many things running at the same time. How dull is your drive?

18. Rhonda Holscher

Rhonda Holscher

It's only a year old, but honestly I could benefit from some more memory and yes I do have tendency to stretch my resources. So yes I've considered it and when I'm doing that I shut it all down and restart and then only open TLC and minimal programs needed to complete the job. The issues I was having wasn't from that. It was from

1- pdf's in files- RESOLVED
    2- jpg's in files where they didn't belong - RESOLVED
    3- .tlc files missing - NOT RESOLVED
    3- Dropbox creating conflicting copies - temporarily resolved as I deleted the copies, but this may happen again - need to figure out how to move files from dropbox I guess
    4- And then the file within file issue I mentioned above - removed files - so resolved now, but not happy I can't use those files. I'll live with that if I can not have it happen again.

So my intentions are to obviously be more cautious now that I know about what files I put into TLC and where they go.
    -NO pdf's be sure to remove them from image files before importing into TLC files
    -NO jpg's be sure to convert to png's before importing into TLC files
    -pay closer attention to files before importing to TLC in general and hopefully that will solve the file within a file issue

-find a solution for Dropbox

-figure out why and learn how to prevent .tlc files from going missing

19. KD-did

KD-did

TLC is a resource piggy When things get pulled from one area to cover another things happen..

20. Rhonda Holscher

Rhonda Holscher

Most graphics programs are. :)