ALL "my templates" missing

Discussion in 'Questions or troubles updating' started by cyclingone, Mar 16, 2016.

1. cyclingone

cyclingone

Was working on a logo and closed it so that I could open another that I had been working on and there is nothing at all in 'My templates'. There had been nearly 80 images in there and now they are gone.

The other template packages are ok but not "My Templates"

Any ideas as to where, why, and how they disappeared? This is a disaster.

Using v7 for couple of weeks and all 'was' fine.

Barry
    (cyclingone)

2. KD-did

KD-did

Barry, what format are you? Windows or Mac?. Look in your Documents folder/My documents folder>>>>>>logo Libraries>>>>>>My Templates.....things may still be there. Have you downloaded any new TLC packs? If you are a Windows user look for DS_STORE files and DELETE them.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
    snginc likes this.
  3. cyclingone

cyclingone

KD-did:

Thanks for the reply. I'm using a MAC. Before I got your email here's what I did. Typed in the search box .tlc and found all my .tlc files including the ones from "my templates". I then copied 10 of them, as an experiment, and moved them into the directory "my templates" which I found in Documents/laughingbirddocuments/logolibraries/mytemplates(which was empty).There is still no "my templates" category in v.7. Also, I realize that I need each template folder, not just the .tlc file. But i cant find them.

So...I'm still at a loss as to what happened and what I can do to remedy the situation.

Thanks again for trying...

-Barry

4. KD-did

KD-did

There is more to the templates than just the .tlc files...in the Logo Libraries the tlc template files have ALL the supporting other files that make up the template. In other words all the component parts should be in the libraries file under the templates name. SAttached one of my templates file found in My Templates in Logo Libraries. sample in My Template file library.jpg

5. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

Any ideas as to where, why, and how they disappeared? This is a disaster.

Yup I got some ideas....

1. Before you installed the update to version 7.0 you already had a folder called "My templates"--- the name you gave to the save file when you ran version 6.8 for the first time. I also had named my save location "My templates"- so when I first installed the beta version of 7.0 (I got it a few days before anyone else did) I realized I had to find my old "my templates" folder I seem to recalled it got renamed my templates (1) or some other silly thing. I searched for the name of a logo I had made and found it, and all the other folders of logos.

I simply copied all the folders from the old my templates stuff (and no, I don't recall where it went to) and pasted them int othe new tmeplates folder (it's automatically created when you install the update to 7.0).

Now if you wanted to: locate the old MY templates folder, rename it, and move it into your logo libraries folder.

Was working on a logo and closed it
    , You can only do that if you gave it a name when you closed it, in 7.0. What I think happened was that you chose DELETE, out of habbit, and drove on thinking you had saved it, when in fact you deleted it.

In 6.8 you had to give it a name before you worked on it.

2. Just manually create a my templates folder in your logo libraries directory- and past all the old folders from the old MY DOUCUMENTS directory.

3. Pretend the TLC file does not exist. It's job is to contain the text of your logo, and tells the software how to fit everything together. If you ever delete the TLC file, or switch it with another logo you just "destroyed" the logo.

6. cyclingone

cyclingone

Ok! Got 2 of my templates back where they belong. Thanks for all your help KD-did & Gcuneo. It will take some time, but I'll get things back where they belong. Still don't know why it happen, though.

Thanks again,

-Barry

7. KD-did

KD-did

In the old days I would have suggested a "Repair Permissions" after an unknown problem occurred . I suggest you keep your work templates backed up on a USB stick as a safety precaution.... Damaged tracks on hard drives are not frequent but they can been known to happen.

8. cyclingone

cyclingone

Yeah, I hate the fact that Apple chose to give us even less control over our system by removing the 'repair permissions' provision.

You're right, though. I will back up 'my templates' to a flash drive. PRONTO!

Thanks again for your help.

-Barry
    Cyclingone

9. KD-did

KD-did

I have found a way to run a check...how it works I am not certain. Go to "UTILITIES" >>>>Disk utilities.....at the top choose first aid click to start.

10. cyclingone

cyclingone

KD-did:

Thanks for the tip. I did as you suggested...found no errors.

-Barry

11. KD-did

KD-did

In 10+ years I have never "found" an error. The process seems to merely put things in order and iron out the wrinkles.