About the purchasing interface

Discussion in 'Raves and Rants' started by marcb, May 10, 2005.

1. marcb

Hi there, this is my first post here, and I'm already complaining :WOW1:

Well, not exactly, I am not going to complain about the software, cause I have no reason to do so (therefore no system specs are included). But, I must complain about the purchasing interface.

I know DR offers more possibilities because I purchased at the same time products from Acronis, that are also handled through DR, and the interface was different so I guess the payment gateway is used differently from different vendors, so you might consider reprogramming yours or not, but I thought if nobody says anything... you won't even know you might have to make a choice :)

Now that said, I have encountered several times problems when adding new products to the cart, since I was trying to purchase one product that was a special offer (I think it was Mascots, but I'm not sure, as it was more of an afterthought, it was end of February or beginning of March, though), and then a different product (Corporate1) with the associated discounted product (Corporate2), I found that the C1 product was priced at 44€... which I found way too much :) I've waited for a couple of months and this problem seemed to be gone. Nevermind, it has served for the new eBook creator to come out, which I definitively wanted, to create a view of our software package for presentations.

Alas, it was not everything beds and roses, for we came with the VAT problem. Our company is really small sized, but it's a real company with VAT exemption. There is no way we can give our VAT number and therefore be exempted from the VAT charge, although I know that is possible in DR, and therefore we were charged not our local 16% VAT, but the UK 17.5% amount (DR has a seat in the UK). Instead Marc had to manually send them a complaint about that problem (I had sent him my complaint). So, after a few emails here and forth, they have had to refund the whole 17.5% VAT to our account. Which certainly results in a loss of time and money for all parts involved.

So, if you've read so far and haven't yet fallen asleep :thanks2: , you know I would like to see the VAT-ID thing implemented, as otherwise it can become a nightmare to accountants: in our country there's no way to recover VAT without the VAT number of the company charging, and since Marc has his seat in Ca, USA, there's no reason why he should have a VAT number, and DR is not the seller and provides no invoice in this case so... in order to avoid permanent brain damage to our accountant, we had to start this whole circus.

Other companies might find themselves with this same problem... or maybe not. I reckon there are different regulations in the EU regarding VAT and its handling so it might be we're the only case, and not worth the hassle but...

Now, what are you still doing here? Go out and have a nice day!

(PS: no, not that Marc, just another Marc)
  2. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Founder of Laughingbird Software Staff Member

Hi MarcB.
    Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for your feedback on my shopping cart system.
    I appreciate it! Folks comment alot on the software, but not much on the buying experience.

Over the past few weeks, I've been working hard with DigitalRiver to enhance my online store. Over the next week or two, there will be MANY improvments. One of which you mention above!

I want the purchasing to go as smoothly as the software runs :)

Thanks again for the comments MarcB!

3. Texas

Regarding Digital River

Dear Marc,

Are you aware you are running one of the most powerful boards out there?

vBulletin IS capable of adding your software & payment information into it with just a few mouse clicks.

Why give someone else the money?

Just a thought!

4. marcb

Great, it's good to know that this does worry you ;) Hadn't it been for eBook cover, I wouldn't have purchased the TLC, because of all the trouble I had in the first time, but your products are really good.

I suggest you try (not till the end) buying from other vendors that use DR as payment system, so as to get a feeling of what's possible, what not, and what you really want to have and what not. At the moment, I can only suggest Acronis' products, but if I check my CCs, I'll surely stumble with something else; last year I started my own enterprise, so I had to buy lots of enterprise licenses of different programs, even if it was still just me using them :(

Most likely because of the lots of trouble he spares by doing so. They take care of everything, of confirmations, followups, VAT, CC checking, etc...

I have developed shopping systems for some customers and the problem is that even if the software works always fine, people don't, and therefore you need to spend time on that. By passing it on to somebody else, you spare yourself the hassle.

Don't take me wrong, I strongly believe in DIY, but even I find some tasks quite boring, so in the end you have to delegate.