A new way of receiving help for windows users...

Discussion in 'General Support' started by gcuneo2, Aug 14, 2013.

1. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

Recently a customer had been having difficulty getting an add on pak to install properly. I suggested we give REMOTE ASSISTANCE a try. This suggestion was made after a bunch of back and forth messages did not provide favorable results.

Remote assistance involves the person needing the help sending a request, typically through an email, with a password attached to it. The person they sent the request to then enters the password in a pop up screen, and takes control on your computer.

it's very secure, and If the person getting helped notices anything fishy (like the person providing assistance snooping around looking at, say family photos), all it takes is one mouse click, and the helper is disconnected.

I provided remote assistance to a customer in England yesterday (And I live in Washington State). it took 1 and 1/2 hours to figure out why the add on pak wasn't installing correctly, but I was able to take care of him.

THE COST: Nothing. Zero. Nada. Not a single cent.

I have found over time that many issues arise when installing add on paks due to individual differences in how each customer configures their computer.

For example: Many now have SSD's (solid state drives) that they install their OS on, and basic program files, and their data (in particular their documents libraries) on another hard drive. The logo creator doesn't like that configuration one bit. The logo creator needs to have the program files, and the Laughingbird documents library on the same drive.

You shouldn't request remote assistance from just anyone, it should be from someone you trust to alter settings, delete files, reinstall programs on your hard drive from thousands of miles away.

Here is a link that provides the basics:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...your-computer-using-windows-remote-assistance

Last time I checked, bigger companies usually require a fee of at least $39 for such a service. I am willing to provide that service for free, to make Laughingbird customers happy.

I can see if you have downloaded the correct files, checkout if your document libraries are set up correctly, copy element libraries from older versions of the logo creator into version 6.6, and capture screen shots of where all your Laughingbird stuff is actually installed, even delete and reinstall your software (if your original downloaded files are still on your hard drive. Don't worry though, the first thing I do is make a backup copy of all the logos you have created, and all templates and add on paks.

Why am I willing to do this? I believe in the products Laughingbird software uses, and I just really enjoy helping customers.

I am also a volunteer, I don't get any $$ from Laughingbird software.

2. logophil

logophil

Hey, I love your attitude of helpfulness. I can't help yet as I am new to TLC but I could use help.
    I am trying to create a logo (very simple - text preceded by a globe image from TLC) but when I save it as a transparent PNG the canvas remains and forms part of my logo.
    I use Vector Magic to vectorize my logo after saving as a T-PNG.
    Any suggestions as to what I may be missing, Thanks, Philip

3. KD-did

KD-did

Test it..You could try attaching the logo to an email or here in the forum... Send to yourself to see if it just a part viewing process. With no backgound you could be able to see what is under it.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  4. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

If the folder containing the working logo is zipped, it can be shared here on the forum if a user ever gets stuck with something....

5. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

I've done the remote assistance thing with 3 customers now-- with two I was able to fix it, with the 3rd the customer it turns out they did not have a valid product installed!

6. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Really! Very nice. And very nice of you to take this on! Hopefully it will draw a few more users onto the forum. Be nice to see more of them posting here. Keep up the good work!

7. Maria Nobile

Maria Nobile

That's so nice of you to help people remotely......maybe that's what will help me?