300 DPI?

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator' started by yaffer, Feb 13, 2014.

1. yaffer

yaffer

I'm trying to create an image for an ad and it needs to be 300 dpi. I don't see any export control for resolution. Is Logo Creator the right tool for this?

2. KD-did

KD-did

Resolution can no longer be set by TLC. Look to an image editor .

3. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

If you haven't found a solution, Photoscape is a good free utility that will let you save in various DPI sizes.

Lori likes this.
  4. Lori

Lori

Thanks Gunsmoke! You just save me tons of time...it worked like a charm!!!

5. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Glad it worked for you! Come on back any time and let us know what you're working on, and what we can do to help. :cool:

6. Dacoda Digital

Dacoda Digital

So...the original export can't be set to 300 dpi. Wouldn't bumping up the resolution using Photoscape make it grainy?

7. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

It all depends upon your printer, DPI is a term reserved for printers. BUT YES, THE SHORT ANSWER IS YES, if you try to just stretch it more than a "Smidgen"...

Just "Bumping up" the resolution to 300 DPI will only work to a point.

Take the horizontal and vertical numbers of your logo and multiply them. Lets say your logo is 500 x 500, that will result in 250,000 bytes of info to work with. Equate that with a blob of pizza dough. You can only stretch that blob so much before is starts to rip out, and get all messed up-- same thing with images.

You computer screen typically is about 95dpi to 120dpi is resolution--if you physically measured the little pixels with a ruler. That's why small sized images look so pretty on your screen.

Trust me: you can virtually ignore all those silly "72 DPI" warnings.

I always recommend if you are going to send a logo to a real live print shop that uses CYMK dye-sub printers, you make that logo as big as you can (Which is 1440 x 1440 in version 6.8 of the logo creator) (The max size of a logo in version 6.0 is 2880 x 2880).

The business cards add on pak print up beautifully because they pak alot of info into a small space....

This is a very good article about the whole image resizing mess, and yes, it's a mess simply because of that pesky 72 DPI business!

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/essentials/resizing-vs-resampling/

gunsmoke likes this.
  8. OldenGray

OldenGray

Adobe Photoshop comes with a companion image editor called Adobe ImageReady. Try playing around with that. You can also download an open source program (free) called GIMP, sort of a poor man's Photoshop.

9. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Actually, the new Gimp 2.8 isn't that bad! I use it quite a bit to remove backgrounds from images to make them transparent. Works great, and FREE is a lot cheaper than Photoshop!! :cowboyno:

10. OldenGray

OldenGray

Believe it or not, I still use Photoshop CS2, but I find GIMP 2.8 is pretty good. I just can't rationalize spending all that money to upgrade my Photoshop.:)