What does it cost to print a Software box?

Discussion in 'Laughingbird's Blog' started by laughingbird, May 26, 2007.

1. laughingbird

Message Count:
    I've always had the 'entrepreneurial' spirit.

I remember, being 9 years old, going down to the local pottery shop and buying a dozen un-kilned coffee mugs. I drew cartoons on them (I was a wanna-be cartoonist back in the day) and brought them back to the pottery shop to have them Kilned (baked).

I then took them to the local fire department and my school and tried to sell them. I did sell a few of them ... but I never made enough to compensate for the cost of the cups, kilning and paints! :D

This is the SAME problem I have with the retail world. I've been selling The Logo Creator in large retail stores like CompUSA, Fry's Electronics and Office Max since 2004.

Each box will cost (roughly) $3.00 (USDollars) to design. This includes the actual box, the CD inside, the sleeve the CD is put into, burning the CD and putting in the cardboard to make the box thicker.

A designer may charge upwards of $2,000 to $7,000 to design the box! (I'm lucky enough to be able to design my own boxes). A good rule of thumb is to spend $3,000 for 1000 boxes.

Most times, 1,000 is the smallest amount you'll be able to print. This can really add up when a large chain (Office Depot for instance has 1200 stores nation wide). Each store may want a minimum of 5 boxes on the shelf. That's 6,000 boxes. At $3 a pop!).
    :dhuh:

Once the boxes are manufactured, there is "Shelf Space" to deal with.
    Not all ... but some stores don't just take a product and put it onto their shelves. They need cash.

They always need cash.

Sometimes, shelf space can go as high as $5,000 for one product! You need to sell a boat load of software to make up this 5k.

Then, the retail chain takes it's cut. Sometimes up to 10%
    ...It can all get a bit nutts.

This is why the internet is so terrific. NO overhead other than your time. (I do use DigitalRiver.com for my eCommerce and shopping cart system. They take 20% of my monthly sales. ...WELL worth it I must say. I'll write more about DigitalRiver in a future post).

This is the beauty of downloadable software (or anything you can create once and have others purchase multiple times. An eBook for example).

Retail used to be king, but I'll put my money into Net any time.

It's harder to market yourself online since there's a ton of competition, but that's where SEO and SEM come in (Search Engine Optimization and Search Engine Marketing). A great topic for a future post :D

Attached Files:

2. latenights

Message Count:
    Show me Marc,

I have this site sitting there doing nothing and I don;t seem to be able to get people to go to it. Sure there are these guys offering to do an SEO for big bucks, but we all have to start out. It's only e-commerce is affiliate links to their shopping carts. Still I made $200 of the web site last month for almost no work. I know there must be plenty of logo designers with almost zip traffic going to their sites.

So yes, maybe it is a good topic to bring up. I will be interested in hearing your response and suggestions.

Give me some ideas how we can sell some more Laughingbird product. Maybe I should consider the affiliate program. DR I understand is associated with the one I deal with.

thx
  3. Wicked

Message Count:
    Marc how cool is it though to walk into a retail store shopping and boom there is your box on the shelf...
  4. LogoManiac

Message Count:
    I would think that getting your box on the shelf of a major chain would be good and bad. There's probably a sense of success if a major chain picks up your product because it's not easy. Big chains usually try to stick with proven sellers because of the number of times they have to turn the inventory. That's why new products have such a tough time getting shelf space.

The downside is, if numbers don't turn fast enough for them, you end up getting kicked to the bottom shelf(bad bad place for a retail item). Or worse, you end up as a discontinued product.
  5. doc fluty

Message Count:
    thanks for sharing real information on what it takes to get your product out there. To many times I have searched for information only to find vague answers sush as "low cost" or "affordable" only to find that their help would be around $4,000 (such as vehicle wraps).. as a small business owner that doesn't qualify as low cost.

In fact I am relaunching my site and it will have a blog, forum, and products that a client will be able to download for a fee.

however my web design company over promised on their abilities and have been stuck for over two months. so now I have fired them and am looking for a new web designer.

BTW.. let me know what you think of my new web design at

www.bootcamp4me.com/cms

as a small business owner i looked to save cost by purchasing products like logo creator and photoshop to do my own designing. In fact the website up now at BootCamp4Me.com is one that i made in my den. but i wanted the help of professionals and thats why i hired this new company..

the point of me saying all of this is that i am thankful you listed digital river as a company that you use. To find company's that are actually good at what they say they can do seems harder than i thought. So again thank you and keep us updated on companies that you recommend (maybe who created this site for you).