Using The Logo Creator to Create an Avatar

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by bluejade, Jun 23, 2003.

1. bluejade

Message Count:
    An avatar is an identifying graphic such as the Bluejade (TM) image to the left. The Logo Creator is great for creating avatars.

Steps:

i. open an existing logo or create a new logo

ii. "save as" the logo as "avatar.tlc"

iii. set the dimensions of the logo to 200X200 by dragging the lower right corner until the window title reads "avatar 200X200" [use 300X300 for a 150 pixel wide avatar, which I've decided I like better; see several posts down]

iv. generate your avatar image

v. select "JPEG - Med Res Quarter" from the "Export" menu (Med Res keeps the file small, which means for faster browsing of the forum)

vi. select a name and location to which to export the avatar image

vii. upload this image to your website

viii. select "Control Panel / Options" from the Laughingbird Software Forum (it's in the upper right corner)

ix. select "Edit Profile"

x. enter the URL pointing to the avatar you just uploaded to your website in the "Avatar URL" field

xi. submit your changes by clicking the "Edit Profile" button at the bottom of the editing table

Now you have an identifying avatar to accompany your presence on the Laughingbird Software Forum! This graphic will appear next to all of your posts. You can update the avatar at any time to change your look.

Use your avatar for other online forums as well!
  2. laughingbird

Message Count:
    More examples of an Avatar

Excellent tutorial BlueJade!

Another example of an Avator is to the left.
    (done in The Logo Creator as well!)

And by the way, this forum can handle any size image. I belive the 100x100 (which is the result of quarter size export of 200X200) is optimum and a great (consistent) size for this forum, but if it's off by a few pixels your image will still look great!

Here are some more examples of Avatars:
    http://www.thelogocreator.com/avatars.html

- Marc
  3. Michael

Message Count:
    Hi

Marc

Just had a try with avatar, how do you get the black border to the final image?

Have you got my email?
  4. laughingbird

Message Count:
    Hi Michael!
    Excellent Avatar! Thanks for posting it :)

Yes, I've gotten your email and have replied!
    Let me know if you have any questions.

- Marc
  5. bluejade

Message Count:
    Creating a border around an avatar

i. set the canvas color to the border color you wish to see

ii. generate a new text element

iii. set its text to ss (that's two of the letter "s" ). if the canvas is square, then you will only need one s.

iv. set its color to whatever color or gradient you want to appear as the logo background within the border

v. set its font to "shapes" from the lower (embedded) fonts selection menu (read about the "shapes" font in the tutorial forum)

vi. set the justification to left (the left button under Justification in the Text Formatting panel)

vii. set the scale so that the top and bottom borders are the desired thickness

viii. with the canvas as the active window, use the arrow keys to nudge the text element left until the left border matches the top and bottom

ix. adjust the character spacing until the right border is the same size as the left. use the slider to make quick adjustments, and the text field left of the slider for more precise adjustments.

note: if you are working on with a horizontally elongated canvas, you may need more than two of the letter "s" to avoid spaces between the squares.

if you are working on with a tall, narrow canvas, then you can either rotate the text and use this method, or insert carriage returns between the letters and adjust the "line spacing" instead of the "character spacing"
  6. bluejade

Message Count:
    It seemed to me that 100X100 was just too small, so I opened my avatar.tlc and went to "Custom Export" under the "Export" menu. Selected JPEG. Entered 150 for both the width and the height, and 90 for the quality.

The result is a much more legible avatar for just under 7KB.

-dn
  7. bobbells

Message Count:

Hey guys,
    I just tried my hand at creating an avatar, tell me what you think. Thanks
    Bob Bells
  8. laughingbird

Message Count:
    Hey! Great Avatar Bob!
    I love it.

Anybody else reading this post - make an Avatar! :)
    Someday soon I'll be launching a contest. An Avatar contest? A Logo contest? The most creative use of The Logo Creator? Don't know. Anybody have any wishes, feel free to write 'em down.

Great look Bob.
    And I see you've also followed the border tutorial here in this forum. Nice.

- Marc
  9. XaEro

Message Count:
    Well Marc has seen my avatar before.

A contest? hmm, good idea. Doing this would generate more users of TLC..
    Thus bringing out more ideas for future versions of TLC. ;)

I have also saved BlueJade helpfull tutorials for future referance..
  10. dragonking

Message Count:
  11. laughingbird

Message Count:
    Hi DragonKing!
    Yes! You DO rock! :35:
    You're flash intro is very slick. A little loud, but very slick :) Did you create this?
  12. robertbrown5000

Message Count:
    I have just give a go at making an avatar, what do you think? Also is there anyway to link the Avatars to websites when clicking them?

P.s. Some of these avatars people have made are wicked well done u lot!!

Rob:banana::banana::banana:
  13. Seahorse

Message Count:
    What you didn't mention is you need to have posted first to allow the creation of your own avatar. So I'm posting now.:bonk:
  14. Seahorse

Message Count:
    And it's done!!! WooHoo!!!:;yessir:
  15. Lats

Message Count:
    Nice lookin' avatar there.
  16. Seahorse

Message Count:
    Thanks

hand drawn, scanned, a bit of photoshop effects jiggery-pokery, and voila!!! Ready to be used in my new logo.

Iain :D
  17. jlp

Message Count:
    Re: More examples of an Avatar

Marc,

The images don't show up anymore :( tho the page is still there :;yessir:

: o_please
  18. Shadow

Message Count:
    hi Marc...

Well. I finaly purchased this thing!

My eyes are sore after only 2 hours... but I'm really looking forward to bantying aroung with all your creativity.

just wanted to post this so I could have an avatar... see you all soon:whistler:
  19. LogoManiac

Message Count:
    Re: Re: More examples of an Avatar

Marc,
    Your Avatar Example page is broken. I am guessing that you moved the directory the images were in and did not update your links. The page is there! The images are not. Put back the images please!! I would like to see the examples.
    On a side note, not sure if it's related but I CAN NOT see bluejade's avatar either.
  20. richardwing

Message Count:
    Ok this is mine. I thought I'd get into this avatar thread too. :)