Upgraded to 5.1

Discussion in 'Questions or troubles updating' started by derfall, Sep 17, 2008.

1. derfall

Message Count:
    I upgraded from 3.0 to 5.0 then 5.1.
    I also purchased the Alphabet Edition and Web 2.0.

Previous purchases were:
    Ci Logo
    Value Pak Edition
    Company Mascot Edition
    Corporate Edition 3
    Leisure Edition
    Logo Templates

I had to copy them from the 3.0 folder to the 5.1 folder to get the program to see them. I can't tell what version any of them are - there doesn't appear to be a version ID anywhere, even on the Alphabet and Web 2.0 editions, which are new.

Other than the latter two, the others aren't the latest versions. Also, someone mentioned here that there should be bonus logos (?) with the 5.0 or 5.1 upgrade. I don't think I have them. How do I bring everything up to date?

ART :image24:
  2. KD-did

Message Count:
    Not exactly sure what you mean when you say "I can't tell what version any of them are". Are you saying there isn't any EDITION identifier or were you expecting to see V3 or V5.1? When updating you are updating the program and all editions at one time so you are not going to see them as separate versions.

When you copied them did you first make a new folder and name it accordingly in Logo Libraries for templates and Logo Elements for elements?

FYI when you merge edition all together V3 to V5.2 (Alphabet and Web 2.0) you will have a loss of some ebbeded fonts which will cause some errors with some of the earlier templates and any saved logos that using those fonts. The loss of fonts was due to the fact that re-license agreements couldn't be reached. The only to have prevented the loss of fonts was to keep your V3 separate without updating from your later editions or replace the contents of the embedded fonts of the later edition fonts with those from V3 . The embedded fonts will not work if you try adding the V3 fonts to the later versions embedded fonts.

If you didn't purchase the update for $19.95 you aren't going to get any additional templates.
  3. derfall

Message Count:
    5.0 and 5.1 upgrade

I purchased the 5.0 upgrade and it may have been more than $19.95. I'll check at home. When I opened the 5.0, the early packages didn't show up in the drop down box, but did so when I copied the folders from the 3 series to the 5 series master folder.

Was the upgrade supposed to eliminate the 3 folder? Yes, there isn't any way to tell if the various previous template purchases were updated- no series code visible. I didn't see any new templates, in any of the folders. I saw a posting that I may have needed to go to 4 first.

Was there supposed to be additional free templates included?
    I'm not at home to check everything, but I doubt that the earlier purchases were updated.

ART
  4. derfall

Message Count:
    I've reread your reply

Am I to leave everything in a 3 folder and access them via files, since I don't see them in the drop down box. I'm still not sure why I would need to create new folders, since, for example, Mascots has a named folder. Then you said it might not work properly. If they were automatically upgraded in the paid upgrade to 5.0, wouldn't they then show up in the 5.0 window?
    Confusing.

ART
  5. KD-did

Message Count:
    By adding a folder named and placed appropriately in the correct category they would show in the appropriate drop down menus . For reasons I don't understand completely the program doesn't seem to recognize copied content so that it appears in the drop down menus.

Without a doubt fonts that can't be found are going to be an issue at some point. Fonts from V3 can't be found if the embedded fonts are now replaced with those from V5 updates and V5 can't find fonts that were lost in the updating process. It is a matter of it is an either/or but not both situation even though all embedded fonts have the .cxt extension. V3's fonts were installed in the RESOURCES folder in/under the "canvas" folder but in V5(.1 and .2) fonts are in the font folder in Resources but not in the canvas folder. V3 tells it to look for fonts in one location but V5 update and new versions tells it to look in another.

When you merged the different versions at the point where you were asked if you had previous editions and by answering "yes" you essentially rename V5 (.1 and .2) to V3 . V5 content isn't going to show because its content isn't fully recognized by your computer..you will be able see the content in the TLC file under "Program Files" If you had answered "no" you would have 2 standalones ( a V3 and a V5.2) both being fully functional and ( fully recognizable on your computer) and work independently. V3 fonts intact in V3 and V5.2 having its fonts intact.

I have 3 different versions on my computers V2.5, V3.5 and V5.2... V2.5 had an ability to change the length and width of lines that was no longer available from V3.(?) on due to a total rewrite and changing of the program's engine. All the work I did using V3 can still be opened and without the loss fonts are fully editable still using the embedded fonts and of course all V5 updated to V 5.2 when I added the new newest editions.
  6. derfall

Message Count:
    Art again. I realized that I may not have purchased the upgrade, but somehow 5.0 shows when you purchase Alphabet and Web 2.0.

I purchased the upgrade for $19.95. The prompt led me to the 3.0 folder which contained: Logo Library,Logo Templates, My Templates, Orbs, Resources, Swooshes and Extras.

The Logo Library contains folders:

CI, Mascot, Corporate Edition 3, Leisure, Value Pak, Logo Templates, Orbs, Swooshes (these are duplicated). In 5.0 (now 5.2) only My Templates, Travel and Leisure, Corporate Edition, Alphabet and Web 2.0. How do I get CI, Mascot, Value Pak, Logo Templates, Orbs and Swooshes to get upgraded to show? I did unistall 5.0 and reinstalled 5.0 first.
  7. KD-did

Message Count:
    Some Editions had name and content changes some where along the line . Some of the changes were Corporate 1,2,and 3 became Corporate Edition, Mascot Edition became Business Mascot Editions.There were a couple of more changes but I don't remember what they were but I will try to find out for you.Purchasing the upgrade added logo templates but to where the additional content should go and where it went maybe 2 different things. Computers like exact names... they don't do this is close enough very well and you and may very well be missing content. It would be clear to the computer that the 2 latest editions were V5.2 but if the names aren't the newer names that the program expects the update and upgrade might not take effect in all editions.
  8. KD-did

Message Count:
    derfall, if you are interested there is a thread that identify some of the MISSING fonts and where they can be found and alternate names. If you download the fonts and install them to the your particular system font file, in the main font folder you will have fewer template errors for any that you move or copy into TLC V5.2 program files. The fonts will appear as system fonts instead of embedded fonts when you click on the template's text.

If you still have your V3 content still you can simply add folders to Logo Libraries with the old names and move/ copy the old content into the new folders and they will show up in the "Select a logo set" drop down menu and if you do the same for the elements add folders with the old name, copy or move the elements they will appear with the old names in the Images drop down menu. Certain folders will may not need to be copied as they (orbs and swooshes) have remain the the same as in the older version .

http://www.logodesignforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3256&highlight=missing fonts
  9. derfall

Message Count:
    I moved two missing fonts from v3 to v5. I renamed in 3 Mascot to Business Mascot Edition. I even copied up from Library to just in the v3 folder. I just can't get the 5 installer to upgrade it. That leaves the Value Pak and Corporate Identity. If those two don't need to be upgraded, I can just move them to the 5 folder so they will appear in the drop down box. I still don't know if they need to be upgraded.
  10. KD-did

Message Count:
    Moving them would update them and any "engine" changes would be in full effect, however, templates made with embedded fonts will cause errors unless the fonts are also in your system font folder. The embedded .ctx extension fonts can not or should not be copied or move into the system font folder.

The good thing about adding folders is you can name them anything you like as long as you remember what you named them and they are in the correct folders. Logo Libraries for templates and Logo elements for elements. TLC will recognize custom named folders, they just need to be in the correct location . You can even add folders that contain only what you want ie custom art, clipart etc. I routinely save clients' custom artwork (images)in one file so I know exactly where the images are and available to use immediately.
  11. derfall

Message Count:
    Upgrade to 5.0

I'm not sure that we are talking about the same thing.
    I don't have any created logos from 3.0 that I care about. I just want to have Mascot upgraded like the Corporate was. I see new templates in Corporate.

The .cxt extension comment...is that just for the created templates? I'm just an amateur. Not sure whether to leave all the 3.0 fonts in that folder. Will the old CI and Value pack then automatically use the fonts in 5.0?

What happens if I just bring CI and the Value pack over? I did that before and I could see that they appeared in the drop down box. Then I uninstalled and installed 5.0 again. I'm really only interested in the upgrade. It appears that CI and Value pack may not be upgraded. Why would Corporate be upgraded and not Mascot?
  12. KD-did

Message Count:
    Were the editions that aren't updating the retail version that were released by Summitsoft? Sold in a store rather than as a download?They need to be handled a little differently!

13. derfall

Message Count:
    Upgraded 3 to 4.1 after uninstalling 5. Upgraded 4.1 to 5. Mascot and Value Pak, and CI don't appear, and as before there's now an empty folder called "Corporate Pak" in the drop down box. Should it be there and what should be in it?

I still don't know if Mascot is the only one that needs upgrading and there's a question as to whether I can copy and paste the other two from 3 to 5 (now 5.1). I could run them from 4, but it would be better to see them from the drop down menu in 5.

Probably a heck of a lot easier sending me the download for the updated Mascot.

ART
  14. KD-did

Message Count:
    Art, the Corporate Pak was/is empty for everyone. The folder is a leftover from the developmental stage by Marc. You are free to delete or keep and fill as you desire with your very own custom template designs.

Updating only effects the TLC program engine ( the programming portion that makes the program run) NOT the the content of the different editions. Simply put the engine is a like a programming version of road map of instructions. You should be able to move the missing Ci, Mascot and Value Pak templates without any issues so that all your editions are merged together. IMHO without any additional content to be added there is no reason to waste your time with downloading.
  15. derfall

Message Count:
    All the purchases were made on line. The Corporate edition was updated with some new templates when I installed v5. I'm just trying to get the Mascot edition updated. Again.....I'm assuming that Value Pak and CI don't have additons that I might be missing.

ART
  16. KD-did

Message Count:
    Being you bought online you should be able to look up your order and download again unless you paid using Paypal. In which case you will have to send Marc a PM and provide your purchase information to get another download ( for each edition that you need a new download for if purchased separately). Be sure that you provide the email address used for the confirmation email went to, the purchase order and dates if possible .

After downloading unzipping when ask during the installation process if you have other editions answer NO...the Mascot Edition will then be a standalone. As a standalone you can update it separately then can move/copy templates and elements folders as before.

There was no additional content added to Value Pack, Mascot or Ci only an engine change in the updates.