Trying to optimize META TAGS?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization (SEO)' started by Wicked, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Wicked

Message Count:
    Have you ever sat down and tried to optimize your meta tags in your website to get the best results? Does it even matter? Is it making a difference?

Here are META TAGS

Code:
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
    <LINK REV="made" href="mailto:"Some Email Address">
    <META name=author content="Site Author">
    <META name=copyright content="Copyright text">
    <META name=revisit-after content="# days">
    <META name=distribution content="Global">
    <meta name=rating content="general">
    <meta name=keywords content="word1,word2,word3, and,so,on">
    <meta name=description content="I bet this part is important">
    <meta name="MSSmartTagsPreventParsing" content="True">

Also though remember your Title Tag. Its not a meta tag but I think it needs to be there.

Code:
    <head>
    <title>The Name of This Page</title>
    </head>

Now a lot of those meta tags above you might have never even seen. The roar on the internet in the past year or more says Meta Tag data is being phased out or the Search Engines are placing very little weight on what they say?

So you might wonder why search engines are leaving them behind in the past? Now keeping in mind that your meta tag data will still be relevant but just certain sections of it will hold little or no weight for your web page. This is because over a period of time marketers and these black hat tactic types have abused these meta tags for there own personal gain. They basically used terms that got high traffic whether it had anything to do with their site or not amongst other well known meta tag evils.

I personally believe the so called roar on the internet that I am speaking about and see most of your meta tag data being useless in the future. There is already word that Google no longer even uses your Meta Keyword data. In fact some are saying that I have read in a few places that Google may even penalize the page in a minor way for even using the Keywords Tag. Now that part is just talk and I would expect Google to announce such a change since so many people use the Meta Keywords in a legitimate manner. I would be 99% sure though that Google already penalizes the page relevancy when they notice that page content dos not relate to keyword or Meta Description Content. These search spiders and bots are more intelligent and progressing with great leaps more than most know. Its the algotherum (cant spell) that is used to compute the relevancy of the information that gets more and more impressive and realistic.

Back to the point though of Meta data being phased out as mentioned it looks like its happening with Meta Keywords now. Here is an article about it.
    http://www.pandia.com/sew/73-avoid-the-meta-keywords-tag.html

Interested in how a spider sees your site? They don't see your pretty images. Make sure you have content.

Here is a good tool that will somewhat closely manipulate viewing your site as a Google Bot, MSN Bot, Yahoo Bot, and others.
    http://www.smart-it-consulting.com/internet/google/googlebot-spoofer/
  2. Linad

Message Count:
    Yes, we do. We try to add keywords properly. And it works.
  3. Chris

Message Count:
  4. Wicked

Message Count:
    I would have to agree with that resource of course. Very helpful tools.
  5. LocalGoogleG

Message Count:
    From what I've read optimizing our meta tags helps more with Yahoo and MSN (Bing) than it does with Google.

My thinking is it can't hurt so put it in.

You left out the meta string where you add Google Webmaster Tools verification
  6. Salman

Message Count:
    Nice points Wicked!

If I may I'd like to add to your comment about 'spiders' not seeing your images. I have discovered that if you name your images (relevant to your keywords) then the 'spiders' WILL see your images since they read the source code of your page. For example: Let's assume your niche was in Fishing; you would include that keyword in your Title and Description meta tags. Using the same keywords name your images something like fishing1.gif or fishingimage.jpg and so forth. Make sure not to stuff your page...2-3% density per page is good.
  7. Wicked

Message Count:
    100% agree.. Nice add salman and thanks!