1. New Software Notice alert!

The new Web Graphics Creator (version 4.0) will be out soon.

For now, version 3.0 is still active and works great on most Windows machines. It no longer runs on Macs using Lion or greater... (but the new version will fix this)

So hang in there! It's almost done!

Tips for new users

Discussion in 'Web Graphics Creator' started by Jack Zavada, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Jack Zavada

Message Count:
    WGC was my first experience with any type of ecover software. Over the past month and a half, I've experimented with it and have been able to produce some decent results. I feel that more practice will help.

Here are some trial-and-error tips I can pass on:

• If you're having trouble, write down what you do as you go along. That way you can experiment with changing things until you hit on steps that work.
    • Experiment with all three renderers. For some reason, some work better on some projects than others.
    • Read as much as you can on these forums, then go back and read through the forum for the old eCover Creator. I learned a lot there.
    • I found template dimensions for the various models here:
    http://www.graymattergraphics.com/html/ecc_dimensions.html

• To achieve these dimensions in Art Center, push your mouse against the side of the box (where you're creating your cover image) until the numbers at the top match those in the dimensions above.
    • In the eCover Creator module, hover your cursor over the various tools on the bottom and upper left of the screen, then read the info in the yellow boxes. It will tell you what each tool does and which key to hold down while you're moving your model around.
    • When you have a finished product you like in eCover Creator, push your mouse from the sides and bottom to reduce its size, instead of cropping it in another graphics program. Too much handling of an image could degrade it.
    • Keep experimenting, and don't be afraid to ask questions on the Forum. Marc and the other folks at Laughingbird are very helpful.
    Two examples of my work are attached. They're a bit ragged, but I think I'll get better as I work with WGC more.

Don't give up! If I can do this, so can you!

Jack Zavada
    http://www.inspiration-for-singles.com

Attached Files:

2. laughingbird

Message Count:
    Great post Zack!
    I've made this a 'sticky' (stays at the top of all posts) for everybody to see.

Thanks for posting it.
    (your site with the eCover images is looking great!)

- Marc
  3. Chris

Message Count:
    Great job on those designs. Thanks for sharing the site and the info. It will help allot of other users out.
  4. a¿ex

Message Count:
    Great list, Jack, thanks for sharing.
    Allow me one comment though.

only the aspect ratio of the image matters.
    but please keep in mind, that the values published on that website originate from a time, where you couldn't change the dimensions of the models.
    With the new version (WGC) you can right click (one button mouse Mac = control+click) and adjust not even the scaling of the model to fit the aspect ratio of the image, but also decide, if the image shall stretch to fit or whether it will be cropped. Of course changing the front of a box changes the other sides of the box too. so the height or your spine image for example should be the same height as the one of your front image for obvious reasons.
    (Please bear with me, that for some models the automatic scaling to fit the image doesn't work correctly and yields funny results in case it is not a straight box-ish model, which I can evenly scale to fit an rectangular image)
  5. Jack Zavada

Message Count:
    Good comment.

I was just working with the best info I could find, which, for me, seemed to be Gray Matter's dimensions for the various models. Obviously I didn't understand about scaling the models. {I'm not sure I do yet, but I'll experiment with it ; ) }

On my examples, you'll notice that the edges, especially on the Inspirational Plaques Collection, are doing sort of a sawblade thingie instead of being perfectly square and smooth. Any idea how I might fix that?

Jack
  6. a¿ex

Message Count:
    the realtime renderer has no antialiasing, therefore I apply the antialiasing, when exporting the image to file.

Try 4x antialiasing when exporting instead of 2x.
    It depends however on your graphic card, how big your image can be then.
    Be prepared for a sudden crash of the application, though, because if you choose a too big size with 4x AA and your graphic card can't handle that amount of required video memory, it may simply crash... :-(

Unfortunately i have no reliable way to tell how much your card can actually handle, it even depends on the renderer you choose.
    Therefore I display the warning, that the app MAY not be able to handle the size (the level of AA actually is a multiplier of the size of the image)
    If you are prepared for a crash, just ignore that warning and try a smaller image size the next time... :)
    Once you figured, what your card can handle you can write these sizes down and furtheron use them for all other 3-D exports as well.

If you have the choice I recommend going with openGL.

Another option for experienced users with a good hardware setup, which yields excellent AA results is setting the hardware antialiasing of your graphics card, if it supports it.
    This works only for better graphic cards in the display settings on the system level. If your graphic card supports that (sorry, windows only) make a screenshot instead of exporting the image. (the shadow won't be nicely blurred though and also the mirror is poorer, but the edges look sharp and smooth)

I have been doing that in another project, where we made a DVD from a screengrab of a AA 3-D scene. Looks super smooth and very slick. :)
  7. alphatiny

Message Count:
    Great tips thanks to all!
  8. pddawson

Message Count:
    wonderful tips
  9. a¿ex

Message Count:
    Thanks, I appreciate your feedback.
  10. dbernard

Message Count:
    Help on web designer creator

I need help on how to make the e-cover with the e-covers in the art graphic, what I don't understand, is that when I lauch to e-cover first module, e-cover 3d, to make the covers, there is no menu, such as it's show in the tutorial, even if I make a right clic nothing show there is no tools to do something, how do I import my template cover in this module, I reinstalled it but same thing. can you help me ? :image09:
    Thank you for helping me
  11. laughingbird

Message Count:
    Hello DB.
    Welcome to the forum.

In the 3D eCover area, you should be able to Right Click over a box. This will bring up a small menu allowing you to import your graphic.

See attached screenshot

Attached Files:

12. dbernard

Message Count:
    Hi, Thank's for your answer,
    there is no such menu on my right clic like I mentionned to you

Or I'm stupid or really don't understand but as I said, when I finished the template from art , and save it, do I have to closed the art and launch to e-covers 3d, if it's the case, no, there is no such tool menu on my right clic, and I dont, see nothing except the box with arrow on te side. Stupid questions :when I installed it the first time, they never asked me for the unlock keys, is it possible that I don,t have the complete software.
    Ok I retry just now, but it seems like I have a bug, because, it took a long time before something show up,I see, a white box without, without menu, on my right clic, a message box appear and say's cant be read, to clic on cancel or ok to débug,
    Well as I said earlier, I see the menu no highlighted, appear but when I clic it bring me to searching for my file, so I clic but it shut me out
    Help !!!
  13. dbernard

Message Count:
    Me again

If I uninstall al my stuff will I loose all my template already made, in art creator, because I really think that there is a problem with my installation because, all the menu in the e-covers are white, I see that in the windows like beside the boxes, excuse my english but I' m french so it's very difficult for me to explain to you. In your opinion do I have to reinstall
    Thank's again
    Danielle
  14. a¿ex

Message Count:
    Hi Danielle,
    could you please tell us your hardware setup and operating system version?
    It would also be helpful to know your RAM and VRAM amount.
    (Once we know, which system you are using we can tell you how to find that information)

It would also be helpful, if you could post a screenshot of what you see, when running the eCover 3-D modul. There should for example be icons at the bottom of the 3-D window.
  15. dbernard

Message Count:
    system operation

Hi,
    I' m on Windows Professional XP and I have 1024 RAM
    attached th print screen
    Thank's
    PS: I reinstall it but same thing result:
    image10-1:
  16. a¿ex

Message Count:
    Oh I think the screenshot didn't come through. I can not see it.
    Anyway. If you right click on your windows desktop, you can select "Display properties". In the upcoming dialog select the "Settings" tab and there press the "Advanced" button. A new dialog will appear and you can select a tab "Adapter" in that window. There you'll find specifics about your graphic card. Memory size and type.

But I do not think, that you have any hardware issue here, as a windowsXP machine with 1024 MB RAM shouldn't have a too weak graphics card.

The reason I wanted you to send a screenshot, is that I wanted to see, if the control buttons at the bottom of the screen are present. I haven't seen, what you describe with the app.

You will need to describe it more detailed, so I can figure out what is going on.

For example I can't figure out what you mean by "the box with arrow on the side".
    A screenshot would help.

Here's a screenshot of a windows desktop showingthe graphics settings:
    [​IMG]
  17. dbernard

Message Count:
    Me again

Thank's to you,

Well I look at the panel as you asked and it's 64, for the windows screen as I open web graphic and go to e-covers, yes the windows open, but there is no tools, attached the screenshots.
    Danielle
  18. a¿ex

Message Count:
    Hi Danielle,

Sorry, but you make me feel stupid, because again I can not see any screenshots attached. Is it me? Can others reading this thread see the screenshots??
  19. h8er

Message Count:
    I cannot see any screenshots.
  20. a¿ex

Message Count:
    thanks h8er for the confirmation.

Danielle, if you can not upload the screenshots, please feel free to send me a personal message, so we can work out another solution.