Student Employments Site

Discussion in 'Help wanted with my design' started by Skitzo, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skitzo

Message Count:
    Hey all,

A couple of my students are making a website to help other students find jobs. They are doing all the back end stuff right now and have a template one of their father's gave them. However, it needs a logo. They are calling it "Halton Employment.com" (with or without the .com) or Halton Employment Centre The tagline is "student employment services" - but it's not set in stone.

Even the name is changeable. They are not fussy - we are trying to help high school students find summer jobs. Here is the template right now:

http://www.studentjobs.kingpinhosting.com/index.html

I've included some icons I was trying to incorporate. Or anything like that.... You'll see the section at the top left which has space for the logo - it's small.

Attached Files:

2. GCFL

Message Count:
    Looks good. Are you asking for someone to make the logo or looking for ideas? I would be happy to brainstorm with you...just not sure what you are looking for.

Duane
  3. Skitzo

Message Count:
    Both I guess. I'm just throwing some together when I have a spare minute - so I figure if the kids get a bunch then they simply say "Ya, that will work!" and we'll go with that one.
  4. GCFL

Message Count:
    Gotcha. Do you have a specific logo dimension for the website or at least preferred parameter? I see the space there now is 310px × 46px
  5. Skitzo

Message Count:
    Re: Student Employment Site

that size is great - it just needs to fit on the top left side. At one point they wanted to call it "Jobs 4 You" what do you think of that name?

Anyhow, I made a couple logos for that - but I didn't think the name was professional enough. The plan was to make 5 logos and then have the class choose which was the best one for their site. I've attached the 2 logos I made

- so now it's the same drill for a really corporate logo for the new name "Halton Employment"

Attached Files:

6. Skitzo

Message Count:
    I don't think the template I made for the Jobs 4 You works for "Halton Employment"

Maybe something with and "H" and an "E" - or we could even change the name of the site itself. The students are not too worried about that - they are just trying to get the back end to work.

Attached Files:

7. Skitzo

Message Count:
    Actually... you see the icons on the bottom of the page:

http://studentjobs.kingpinhosting.com/

"Jobs available" "Resource Centre" "Hints and Tips" "Contact Us" - they all have a 3D blue mac type icons.

Anyone have an icon set which looks similar to that we could snag an image from for the logo graphic?
  8. GCFL

Message Count:
    This is not a logo yet and the size will be different than you mentioned (the final web graphic could be resized) but have you considered using a photo such as this and then add a text based logo? The color scheme will fit nicely with your site.

Attached Files:

9. Skitzo

Message Count:
    they wanted a logo so they could put it on print materials - we want the careers classes to upload their resumes to it.
  10. GCFL

Message Count:
    OK. I am leaving for vacation for 6 days so I will not be able to submit anything until I get back. My guess is you will have something by then. Good luck!

Duane
  11. Wicked

Message Count:
    I really want to try this if I can come up with anything over the weekend that would be worthy.
  12. Wicked

Message Count:
    Here is an idea from me.

Attached Files:

13. Skitzo

Message Count:
    That's a good start! I'm sending it to the kids now. Is there some way we could incorporate a logo with that one graphic I posted - the sign graphic on a string. I think that would look cool hanging from something....
  14. Wicked

Message Count:
    Thanks for the feedback.. I will try to incorporate the job openings graphic soon as I can.
  15. awalck

Message Count:
    Hey skitzo, how's it going? Here's my first ideas. I'm working on some others. Hope the site is going well. I'm hitting a block wall with the 'sign on a string' idea. I think it's a neat graphic, but I'm havin' trouble incorporating it into a logo. Hmmm...

In the one I attached, the green is a contrast to your blue background and the blue 'networking lines' on the right side I wanted to represent an "H", as in - Halton Employment is the center of job networking for students". Anyway... that's where I was going. I'm open to suggestions. :)

Attached Files:

16. Wicked

Message Count:
    As always good looking work Allen. I am having troubles incorporating that sign as well. Perhaps the red trim on it throwing me off with so much blue on the template.
  17. awalck

Message Count:
    Thanks Wicked! Yours too. So, here's an attempt with the sign. I've also attached a 'blue' version for anyone that wants to play with it. :)

Attached Files:

18. GCFL

Message Count:
    This is killing me. I can't get to my pc to work on a submission. :) Looking at the design Awalck submitted may I suggest keeping the Halton portion but then "hang" the sign off the "O" and include "employment" as text on the sign so the sign hangs just below. Basically the byline to Halton will be the employment sign.
  19. Wicked

Message Count:
    Thanks for that color change Allen. Not sure when Ill get back to my own pc to submit more either.. Times are tough with time right now for me.. Pretty much only getting the weekend to design anything.. Try and squeeze something in.
  20. awalck

Message Count:
    No problem Wicked. Here's the sign with GCFL's suggestion with a twist.

I like the sign and yet I don't like the sign. I think as a web graphic, it would be okay, but as a logo? - I'm not sold on it yet. I don't think it's professional enough - even for a group of students. Just my thought...

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.