shot in the dark....

Discussion in 'FUN and Sharing Forum' started by Skitzo, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Skitzo

Message Count:
    I'm looking for this Canadian flag in vector format.... anyone see anything like this?

Attached Files:

2. 3DS

Message Count:
    Did you just need a regular Canadian flag? I just made one for you. Would you like the .ai vector file or the exported jpeg?
    [​IMG]
  3. KD-did

Message Count:
  4. Skitzo

Message Count:
    Oh... I have Canadian flags but I basically want one just that that team punishemnt one - it drapes perfectly for a t-shirt design. In fact I've seen it on other T-shirts besides Team Punishment.

KD - you're pretty good with fonts.... you know that design I had before - the Bearcat Skull shirt?.... well, I don't know if I like the font, especially on white. What would you suggest for a "bad-a*s" font which will really stand out for this shirt:

Attached Files:

5. Skitzo

Message Count:
    Here's one without the lettering to ply with - I'll keep hinting for that drooping Canadian flag... ugh.

Attached Files:

6. KD-did

Message Count:
    My thinking is the font isn't what the issue is. It is the fact that the text is pristine looking...my thought is it needs a touch of "grunge" texture to it. Attach the text file here and I'll see what I can do to mess it up so it isn't too pristine in appearance .
  7. Skitzo

Message Count:
    The test file? Oh it's just that font you named for me. The font is "Black Letter Extra bold" but you're right it's needs to be a little more grunge. I'll attach it as a vector

I also struck out finding the cool flag thing.

Attached Files:

8. KD-did

Message Count:
    I knew the font name ,what I wanted was to be able to match the red coloring ... but I did this while waiting...try them out. The will rotate in TLC without falling apart .
  9. KD-did

Message Count:
    The desired flag graphic has been a real challenge and I don't quite have a handle on why I can get the draping and some other of the effects BUT the coloration falls apart on me.
  10. 3DS

Message Count:
    okee dokee. I have the flag, t-shirt templates, font, even plenty of skulls too, but i just wanted to you to also know that it's ez to shape & custom fit all that stuff any way you wish in illustrator by using a "warp mesh" (envelope) onto these elements. I don't sweat the small stuff, lol. I'm not sure if you want all this stuff w/ those skulls now, you kinda threw me for a loop on that one :image02-4: ...but I do understand how you'd like that kinda art style on the shirt, it's popular, in demand & very marketable.

I just I'd help you with some of the pieces to the puzzle, so that you can put them together yourself, unless you want me to do all the work for you :image20:
  11. KD-did

Message Count:
    You actually have a bearcat/bobcat skull like that shown on the white tee shirt blank?

My question is why show the graphics on a rumpled shirt ...I would think for uploading for printing that would be less than desirable.
  12. Skitzo

Message Count:
    Well I do actually have the examples on a normal graphic - but I find when I edit a bunch of them they look odd UNTIL I actually drop them on a shirt. KD - you don't happen to have those letter in vector format do you? If (and when) I get these shirts printed, they need to be 100% vector for some odd reason. I love what you did with them but I don't think that cool edge burn effect you used can be screened. It'll be awesome for any online graphics though! Thanks!

3DS - You can make a flag look like the example I gave as a vector? - all droopy and cool like that for a back of a shirt? I'd love to see it! I'd like to use it just like the example but on the back of a shirt. Good thing Team Punishment can't copyright the Canadian flag ;-) . You also have a bunch of skulls and T-shirt type elements. I have some also - I can zip them up and shoot them over your way. They are all in vector format. Perhaps we have something each other can use. PM me with your e-mail.

I've actually never designed a T-Shirt before; but the main problem with the new popular T-shirt designs (3DS is right - they are very marketable) is that they run the full size of the shirt. This means you have to find a screener who has over sized or "jumbo" screens. Usually they are only 14" square. I have a few inquiries in right now for a couple companies I found, but I think their minimum run is 150. Other than that, I don't know how to go about getting them printed "full sized". I'm actually having a lot of fun designing T-shirts - even if I never print them; I learn something new with every one (especially how to use TLC and other software with Illustrator).

cheers!
  13. KD-did

Message Count:
    I noticed when I did mine that I liked a wider spacing than your text was written.... I can provide vectors.
  14. KD-did

Message Count:
    BTW look into sign makers as they do screenings also because they often make show banners.
  15. Skitzo

Message Count:
    Thanks for the files KD! Do you have any suggestions for OTHER fonts? I'm trying ot get it to look like the MMA shirts.

Sign makers eh? I'll see what I can find. I want to do a bunch of mockups, show it to the students, then they pick the ones they like, then hit the screeners.

I'll show you what I was talking about with the screen size. (attached) - I'd lik to make that a Bearcat shirt but I don't know if the principal would let it through ;-)

You know how I put a grey graphic on the shirt then I dropped the circular logo ontop of it.... Is there a name for that background graphic? "Filler pic"? I need to make a bunch of those.

Attached Files:

16. KD-did

Message Count:
    The background image is usually called a "flourish" or "accents" and yes they are found on font sites as dingbats.Even the crown on the last blanks can be found as a dingbat. Some font sites put unclassified dingbats under "various" . Check out this thread A resource for finding dingbat fonts by subject matter for locating dingbats by themes and names.
    http://www.logodesignforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7111&highlight=dingbats

MMA ?... "Irongate"comes to mind.After some coffee I am sure I think of more.

Have you checked within the local school district/s or community college for an art teacher .Often times they are looking for projects for their gifted students to do. Although the process of burning a screen is not a truly a difficult one it may not be suitable for a classroom full of students. I found that often times art teachers are looking for an outlet for their talents too.
  17. 3DS

Message Count:
    Yes KD you're right about uploading for printing part...but these T-Shirt templates available out there, ruffled or smooth are a designer's approach for using as examples to show to clients of a finished looking product. They are just images used along with your finished or proposed designs, by way of blending modes and clipping masks. Some are even completely set up for you with layers as .psd's for you to design however you like; for more details see image below and links for more templates & how-to use them:

http://www.vimeo.com/2542530
    http://arsenal.gomedia.us/templates.html

I have some of these templates along with several other kinds to use, just as a reference or template. Some are vector and some are bitmap. They're just to use in your working design documents.

And yes you would basically still send your design as a document with the proper dimensions and scale to fit on your desired t-shirt or other clothing and other printable marketing items, in .ai, .eps. svg. even .pdf formats...and not as these templates.

For example to use by printer's specifications for uploading your design or take file to your choice of printer, you may see Vistaprint's specifications and downloadable templates here:
    http://www.vistaprint.com/customer-care/artwork-specifications.aspx?pfid=372&pf_id=372#Products

I have some of these on hand as well. If I need a bigger t-shirt design - just create your vector document with desired dimensions to accommodate your design. Simple enough.

I hope that clears it up a little bit :)
  18. 3DS

Message Count:
    Yeah, they have several names for those like, ornate, decorative, linework, hooladanders, currency splatters, grime, etc. and on & on. Also as KD mentions flourish & floral.

For more see: http://arsenal.gomedia.us/vector-art-graphics.html
  19. KD-did

Message Count:
    The images are very often available for free as themed, downladable "custom shapes"and "brushes" for Photoshop users. The very same dingbat design available as a brush and/or brush.
    http://www.deviantart.com/#order=9&q=custom shapes.

3DS, I thank you for the great links but my thought was really more from a consumer's point of view. There can be a loss of control when using an online printer. Customizing a pre-printed "blank" a consumer runs the risk of not getting the quality expected for the price paid plus there is the issue that the company whose blank you use could go under and no way to reorder ... make substitutions or added expenses dealing with another company to do the printing. And there is a risk that consumer's
    will think that the sample shown is exactly what they are going to get... IMHO it is better to control the images and all parts that make up the design and have a choice of who does the actually printing.
  20. 3DS

Message Count:
    I agree. Having total control is to have total control of your design and having the options of taking your design to any printer of your choice. That's why I design my own with the industry-standard programs and tools. The printer is the last step in the process.

I hope that I've only added a little awareness to some of the printer's out there to choose from. From my experience VistaPrint does great work so far for printing and they have great value in thier prices over many others out there. I have also found OfficeMax is also another great and valued service of mine. I hope others have found thier awesome services too.