Resources/Books Recommendations

Discussion in 'Resource & Recommendations' started by jamirae, Feb 24, 2004.

1. jamirae

Message Count:
    There's been quite a few replies to recent posts that recommend that people who are trying to seriously design and sell logos get some additional information and education. Let's start a listing of favorite books and other resources (websites, courses, etc) that can help a "novice" to get educated on some of the basics of design. (like color selections, design guidelines for print vs. web, etc).

I've got all kinds of stuff on web design but nothing specific to a simple logo or basic graphic design. I'd love some additional information on the topic.

Thanks!
  2. logochick

Message Count:
    Here are three good ones for starters. They are all by the same author:

The Layout Index
    Jim Krause

The Color Index
    Jim Krause

The Idea Index
    Jim Krause
  3. logochick

Message Count:
    Here are a few more:

The Non-Designer's Design Book

The Non-Designer's Type Book

The Non-Designer's Web Book

All by Robin Williams
  4. Borpean

Message Count:
    Those are good books. I like the Robin Williams books as well as his movies...ahem, ok not the same guy ;) but great books.

But there are some very helpful magazines as well if you don't want to dish out $40+ on books(although some are cheaper of course)

Computer Arts magazine has some wonderful tutorials if you can find the right edition. Just looking through it to get a design sence is also helpful.

Print and Wired are also great magazines for inspiration and helpful hints.
  5. LogoCreek

Message Count:
    check out the new forum section

Resources & Recommendations

- Erik
    www.LogoCreek.com
  6. Elect

Message Count:
    More books

"The Pantone Guide to Color"

There's also some good information on the Pantone site about color (RGB vs CMYK):

www.pantone.com

I'm looking for a book I had on logo design and marketing. When I find it, I'll post.

www.printingforless.com has good information about size, formats, calibrations, and printing tips.

Anyone have printing and color format info to discuss?