proportion and canvas size in pixels

Discussion in 'Hints and Tips' started by BNDAZ, Dec 12, 2009.

1. BNDAZ

Message Count:
    can someone give me a condensed idea on how palette size DPI and proportion are connected?
    For instance if i want the exported output (transparent PNG) to print at 8.5x11, what is the best palette size to work off off to keep proportions perfect when resizing and image..
    is it as simple as i can use 850x1100 how will DPI affect the output?
  2. 3DS

Message Count:
    Hello BNDZ,

First I'd like to point out that when you are refering to an image while working on it in an image editing program; such as TLC, Gimp, Photoshop,etc. you are working with both overall size; like the paper or document size (ie; 8.5 x 11) and it's counterpart size measured is in pixels, or commonly known as resolution (pixels by square inch) or ppi. This resolution is for "rasterized" or "bitmap" images and can be whatever you like it to be; which commonly is 72 ppi (low res) used mostly for web, 150 ppi (med. res), and 300 ppi (hi res) mostly used for higher quality such as printed materials; magazines, flyers, business cards, etc.

Btw, if you wanted to know what the resolution would be for an 8.5" x 11" for image in 72 ppi is : 612 x 792 pixels and 300 ppi is: 2550 x 3300. In case you were wondering, lol.

When working on your image and you are ready to "export" your image to use as printed materials, you will then want be exporting it to 300 dpi (dots per square inch) which is what your printer uses to print either by inkjet cartridges or laser toner cartridges...little dots onto the paper. When working on your image in TLC this also applies - save your project so you may work on it later & also export it at 300 resolution if you plan on printing it too, whatever your format you choose (.jpeg,.png).

I hope this helps a little & sorry if this was a bit long, but I tried.
  3. BNDAZ

Message Count:
    Yes that helps.
    What i am trying to get at is how to work with a manageable palette size in TLC but be able to get a 300 DPT image for border-less printing at 8.5x11.

So i think:
    I can work with a palette size of 612 x 792 pixels in TLC which is proportional for an 8.5x11 image
    Export it export it as a .png at 300 DPI.
    Re size it to 2559x3300 and it will print at 8.5x 11 ?
  4. KD-did

Message Count:
    You can always use the option to fill the canvas with images,backgrounds, textures and etc...to fill the canvas, do your logo on top export as a PDF if you are not printing on pre-printed paper stock.

Try cutting the margins to zero with/in your printer "properties" options. Usually from my experience it can be done in the photo quality printing mode.
  5. BNDAZ

Message Count:
    ok, will try the zero borders in a photo mode.
    still have to finish the image to print though, ill update when im done. appreciate the help.