Outline a graphic..

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Worlock, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Worlock Banned

Message Count:
    How hard would it be to have a way to outline a graphic like you can the text...theres some graphics I use that I would love to enlighten with a outline around it.
  2. Borpean

Message Count:
    try this... open up your image... make a duplicate of it. color the duplicate completely white or make it so there is no detail in the image. Place the original "colored" image on top of the "duplicate". May have to expand the duplicate so it's slightly larger than the original. This way you will have created a mock outline of your image. Be sure the image you use is clean and not too pixelated.
    Good luck and show it off if you can!

:D
  3. Worlock Banned

Message Count:
    Been there....Done that...I dont like the way that looks, I really think an outline would prove to be so much better by adding more depth to the image. I appreciate the comment, and others may use that method.
  4. Worlock Banned

Message Count:
    Heres an example as to why I think an outline would be a better effect than a duplication,colored and sized a bit bigger.

Attached Files:

5. Borpean

Message Count:
    Personally I think that makes it very stylistic... but I see your point. If we could only figure out how Adobe does it... hmmmm. In the near future hopefully.
  6. Worlock Banned

Message Count:
    Thanks...It would be a nice feature...Im sure Im not the only one who would think so...But I have some images that this effect would make them look really cool, and believe this ! the idea was given to me by a customer.
  7. laughingbird

Message Count:
    Cool!
    Excellent challenge.

Borpean's idea got me to thinking...

Try this:

bring in your object (it has to be a transparent PNG image for this to work).

Duplicate it.

Click on the SHADOW button.
    Move the Opacity slider all the way down to 0. (this makes the image transparent, but not the shadow).
    Move the Shadow Opacity to 100 and the blur radius to 0.

Taaa daaa!

You'll have to scale the original just a bit smaller, but it works! Check out the screen shots below!

- Marc

Attached Files: